What's new

Elsha 1776 Cologne (formerly Elsha Russian Leather)

Item Description

I read about this cologne on a few different message boards and finally got around to buying it. For the price, I thought it would okay to do a blind buy. It retails for $22 for a 4oz splash bottle or $38 for a 8oz bottle. I bought the 4oz bottle because there is no way I would ever get through 8oz of cologne. There is also a 4oz aftershave splash available. Supposedly, this stuff has been around for decades and was a staple of traditional main street men's clothing stores.

It comes in a cheap looking box and the cologne is packaged in a heavy glass bottle with a goldtone screw cap. The labels are just stickers tacked onto the bottle. No big deal, it's the stuff inside that matters. Since I don't care for splash bottles, I decanted some of the cologne into a 1/2 oz atomizer.

The basenotes.net comments and reviews on this seemed to describe it a a "sweet leather". I'd agree. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed when I first tried this cologne. If you sniff the bottle, you get a very pleasant, slightly sweet smell that's not too far off from root beer or cream soda. On my skin, the initial spray smells like some kind of odd chemical concoction. I have no way to be 100% sure, but my guess is this cologne, like many colognes, is primarily synthetic. However, once the cologne has mellowed and dried down (which takes about 10-15 minutes) it settles into a very subtle, pleasant leather smell with a slightly sweet, powdery overtone that dominates over the leather component. Together, these two components are very nice.

Staying power is pretty good, but this is not a "strong" cologne. I sprayed some on my chest around noon and I can still smell it on my shirt and skin 6.5 hours later. I would say this scent stays fairly close to the skin. Nothing too strong or likely to offend others.

Overall, I think a lot of B&B members would enjoy this one. If you like things like Dunhill 1934, Mr. Taylor, Bay Rum, or even Pinaud / Old Spice type stuff this is probably up your alley.

I bought mine from Sampters.com, got good service with no hassles.

The only other place I could find this online was the official store at Elsha.com

The discussion thread for this cologne is located here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=995759#post995759

Latest reviews

I had a generous sample of this from a friend last year and I found this to be a very unusual and interesting fragrance. I generally hate sweet mens' fragrances, and this is a bit sweet, but for reasons related mostly to the "old time" sensibility of this, I didn't mind the sweetness. Add to that that it is enigmatic in that it has good staying power but is not too strong or forward. That is, it won't get you a bad reputation among the staff in your office as the "perfume guy"; as in the "perfume guy" is coming down the hall. Is it a leather fragrance, well, leather is "in there". A bit like Knize Ten? Well, maybe a little, but not much. How about Royal Leather by Creed? Not really like that at all, it lacks that orange peel thing that RL has. It is unique; inexpensive; is supposed to have an illustrious past with the Russian royalty and nobility (of which I am more than a touch incredulous); and it smells pretty nice if you like heritage fragrances. Not a party dude fragrance; not an old time dandy fragrance either, but for what it is pretty good. I realize this is a terrible review. So let me say its a mildly coke/root beer fragrance with a bit of motor oil and some soft glove leather in there. That's as close as I can get.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
0.00 star(s)

Item information

Added by
cvac
Views
Reviews
Last update

More in Fragrance (Reviews)

• Woodhue for Men
    Woodhue for Men is a masculine fragrance by Fabergé. The scent was...
  • Bulgari Pour Homme Soir
    Bulgari Pour Homme Soir by Bulgari is a Woody Floral Musk fragrance for...
  • Obsession for Men
    A fresh citrus explosion at the top notes (tangerine, grapefruit, lime...
  • Body Kouros
    Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for...
  • Paco Rabanne
    Paco Rabanne by Paco Rabanne is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men...

More from cvac

Top Bottom