What's new

EJ Best Badger -- Jack of all trades, master of some.

Item Description

This brush was my first, and I feel it was a fine choice. It’s reasonably priced at roughly forty dollars, and is soft enough to not scratch up your face if you're inexperienced at developing a good lather (or soaking your brush), but stiff enough to manage to build a good lather out of most soaps and creams, even if one’s technique has not yet been perfected. It feels good in the hand, and the shape of the handle is simple and elegant. It's a handsome addition to your collection of shaving gear.

I could go on about each element of the brush individually, from the softness of the bristles, to the way it blooms, but in truth there is no individual element that lends itself to greatness; the remarkable versatility of the brush is where it shines. The medium size head lends itself well to soap in a large bowl or in a narrow mug. Want to use a shave stick? It won't tear your face up the way a stiffer brush might, but will provide a good lather. Have a preference toward soap or cream? You'll get an excellent lather either way, for the most part. It is very difficult to find a job it can’t handle well. There are only two viable arguments that I can see being made against the brush: The first is that one may find it lacking in backbone (to an extent) when dealing with soaps that are tough to work into a good lather; it tends to give in and spread out a little too easily, rather than holding its form. For those soaps, one is better served with a stiffer brush with more backbone. The second is that some may feel the handle is too small; in which case, they’re better off sticking to larger brushes. Despite these potential problems, I feel that this is a top of the line beginner brush that also has great staying power for an experienced shaver.

Latest reviews

Great all round brush. It was my first brush and I would definitely recommend it to others looking for their first badger brush.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
This is the only badger-hair brush I've used since starting traditional shaving in January '11. (I also have a synthetic-bristle brush that I use for travel.) I agree completely with the review. Slightly stiffer would be better (for me), but this is a minor complaint. The EJ Best Badger is an excellent all-around brush.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
I have been using a brush since I turned twenty-years-old in 1984 (I still have the same mug too!) While I am sure there are many better brushes out there, this is probably the best true badger you can buy for the money. I currently own two of these, and one of them is several-years-old. It's a full brush, stiff enough to lather, and soft enough on your face. Shedding is minimal, and it cleans well. It's a great first badger, and a good everyday brush as well.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)

Item information

Added by
Geo Dude
Views
Reviews
Last update
Rating
1.00 star(s) 4 ratings

More in Shaving Brushes (Reviews)

More from Geo Dude

• AoS Sandalwood
    This is a grand soap if one is willing to pay the price. At forty-five...
Top Bottom