What's new

Edwin Jagger Shaving Cream Tube - Sea Buckthorn

Pros: Scent!
Cons: No longer made!
Superb cream with one of my all time favourite scents. I was gutted to learn EJ has stopped making this (poor sales) but luckily I grabbed a couple pots to last me a a while.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: the fragrence
Cons: low slickness in lather
Good but there are better creams out there...especially the TOBS ones. For me the biggest issue was that the lather lacks slickness and I experienced razor skipping with this product. I added more product but it was no where as slick as my Avocado, Rose or Lavender TOBS or BodyShop.

The tub also has only 100g, whereas the other have 150-200g.

The main feature of this product is the wonderful aroma and that is what makes me continue to use it over and over again
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
Well, what can I say except WOW!!!, let me explain:

The review for this isn't the tubed cream but rather the cream in a pot but its the same product anway.

Price: For me nothing, nada, not a sausage as this was a present from my brother, however looking up the price is £11.00 inc vat The tubed cream is £7.00 inc vat and therefore cheaper.

Quality = fantastic, a 3 second swirl on the cream with my omega boar brush and a little amount of water resulted in quality lather, the smell is citrus with something else I can't put my finger on (must be the sea buckthorn). The tub is made of good quality black plastic and looks the part, as does the box.

Scent= Pretty nice, smells of citrus and now that I've been able to put my finger on it sea buckthorn, it doesn't interfere with any colognes or aftershaves that I use.

Lather = The lather was superb, meriange like, stable and gave a very good feeling on the skin, if your using it as part kyle prep then it does an excellent job too.

Efficacy = Brilliant, leaves your face feeling smooth and very comfortable, I still used a balm but virtually no razor burn whatsoever.

Moisturising = In spades, left my face feeling that no balm was needed but put some proraso liquid cream on afterwards as is my habit.

Packaging, Classy, very classy.

When this tub is finished I will be buying another, not doubt, its just that good and in my humble opinion, better than the 3 t's. :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:
mano;2115842 said:
Not sure you're referring to re: "the logic parallel with consistency among soaps", but my comments were about EJ, not Muhle-Pinsel Sea Buckthorn Shaving Cream Tube.

I thought that both products were made by Muhle. Is this not correct? Let me know as I have been contemplating a purchase of the Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn Cream
Are you for real?

Accidentally, I have just finished my first shave with Muehle Sea Buckthorn soap.

While I am not particularly fond of the Sea Buckthorn smell (it's not bad, just not my favorite), it is as consistent in (high) lather quality as other Muehle soaps. Reason I used it just today was that I had some irritation on the skin and this plant is supposed to be very skin friendly, even used to calm down seborrheic dermatitis.

I haven't tried Sea Buckthorn cream per se but, being very familiar with quality of Aloe Vera cream and drawing the logic parallel with consistency among soaps, your claims are rather questionable.

It all sounds to me as if you really put too much water.
EJ undoubtedly makes some excellent brushes, some at a bargain price, but they really missed the mark with their tubed shaving cream. At least the Sea Buckthorn. Follow the directions and you get a thin lather that never gives a very good shave. I spent way too much time trying to get this to "work." If you want a good tubed cream go with Musgo Real.
I have been using EJ's Seabuckthorn shave cream and balm off and on for about three months. Its become one of my favorites: great lather, moisturizing properties, and healing the skin. And the scent . . . to me its like the wonderful smell of a bowl of ripe fruits: apples, oranges, bananas, and grapes. I use light, cirtus EdTs and the Seabuckthorn blends very nicely with all of them. I highly recommend these products (both the cream and balm); they easily compare favorably with the 3 T's.
This is a wonderful cream. I purchased a tube last week after reading various reviews, and was a little apprehensive of the scent.

Well, after opening, the scent is unique and quite wonderful. Its a very fresh, mandarin, passionfruit kind of smell which I think is perfectly suited to summer.

As for the performance of the cream, it was wonderful. As good as any of the three 'T's'. It was very easy to generate lather, and it didn't need a lot of product or water to do so. From a small pea size amount I was able to complete four passes.

Well worth a try, its in my rotation and I will more than likely purchase again once the current tube is finished. :w00t:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I ordered a new EJ brush and the vendor (Highland MensCare) through in a tube of the stuff for free. Normally it would cost at their site about $14, so I will also through in a positive pitch in for them. Either way it worked! I will be keeping this stuff around so long as they don't change the ingredients.

Price: The cream ($14.50 Highland) is more than the soap ($8.95 amazon). For cream it doesn't compete in cost against TOBS or Proraso, but it still isn't that expensive. When you consider how awesome of a product it is you will think that the few extra cents were worth it.

Quality: Very, very good quality. Everything about the product was right.

Scent: I had no idea what to expect from Sea Buckthorn, but I guess that is just the moisturizing part. The scent is awesome. There is a floral but masculine. It blended very well with my cologne. The smell does last because it has been ours since I shaved, and if I rub my face my hands pick up the scent.

Latherability: Very good, but didn't compare to TOBS Rose cream - took awhile longer to build the lather. It worked great once on the face, and there was plenty for several passes.

Efficacy: Overall awesome. Did everything and more than what I was hoping for.

Moisturizing Properties: This is really where the product shines. Both during and post shave it provided awesome protection. I love TOBS, but EJ gets the higher marks.

Packaging: A box? The box looks nice? Does this really matter?
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I tried the sea buckthorn soap this morning for the first time. I didn't have the lather right (it takes surprisingly little water to make a good lather with this soap), but still found the razor just glided over my face. Same experience as Philamac's- it's a great shave. The smell is very natural- doesn't seem synthetic at all. I think it's a little better than proraso in terms of lubrication and smell. No cooling effect though. Im very glad I tried this soap- it's my current favorite.
My guess is that Edwin Jagger creams are made by Mühle in Germany. Mühle offers the exact same range (aloe vera, sandalwood and sea buckthorn). The packaging is very similar to that of EJ too (with the colors). Also, they offer it in a 100g tub or 75ml tube, again, just like EJ does.
This is available in a tube or jar. I got the tube which contains 2 ½ ounces and costs £7.75. There are three fragrances – sandalwood, aloe vera and sea-buckthorn
Firstly packaging, the tube is aluminium, presented in a cardboard carton. The packaging is very simple, actually quite elegant. However nowhere on the tube is the fragrance stated – the cap of the tube is colour coded according to fragrance, in this case orange for sea-buckthorn.
According to EJ ‘sea-buckthorn essential oils help to revitalise, restore and replenish dehydrated skin leaving it regenerated, toned and protected against the elements.’
Now on to the scent; it is a light and sweet floral fragrance with a hint of mango or passion fruit or something that I liked instantly, not sure what it compares to but it reminded me of a former girlfriend’s hair (or her shampoo I suppose)......the cream is white/colourless. A small pea sized blob lathered easily on my face and the scent burst out beautifully. The lather was rich, slick and glossy, with enough in the brush for at least one more and possibly two more face coverings.
Now the shave. Oh it was.....excellent. The razor glided smoothly, there was no irritation after two passes. At this point the cream compares favourably with my favourite Trumper's Rose. When I rinsed my face and patted it dry I suddenly noticed that my skin felt great, soft, smooth, comfortable and moisturised. I could have gone without my normal application of Coral Skin Food. As good as Trumper's Rose always is for me, this new stuff is doing all the Trumper's does. I give it a slight advantage over the tub of Taylors I just finished, mainly due to the way it left my skin post shave, but the Taylor's is though half the price and it is a small difference in performance.
What made this most impressive was that I had received the cream with a new EJ razor (the cream came as a free gift with the razor) and could not wait till tomorrow to try it so I did it this evening – my second shave in under twelve hours. To do that with such good results in my opinion shows this is good stuff. I will be buying this cream when the free tube expires. EJ will also soon be introducing an aftershave lotion which I look forward to.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)