What's new

Edwin Jagger Sea buckthorn

Pros: creamy, nice scent, protective
This is great soap! I really like the quality and the scent. I just put the puck into an empty TOBS tub and it works perfectly. There's a great amount of room to build lather, and store it there during the shave, and the puck doesn't slide around at all once you wet the puck. I will buy more of this soap.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent, lather, comfort
Cons: Nil
My first wet shave ever was with a ball tech, Astra SP and EJ SB soap. Since then I've tried LOTs of other soaps, creams. I am a self-confessed Proraso fan boy but when I really need a comfortable shave with no irritation this is my go-to.Where proraso is business this is pleasure. Where others give scent, or comfort, or performance this gives all.This is good stuff guys. And 99% all natural.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Price - I paid 8 dollars a refill puck which is low but the pucks are small. Small enough that I milled both of mine into a Pyrex 1 cup bowl. Still a good value!

Quality - Everything about the presentation of the soap (even the box) is high quality.

Scent - Me rikey rikey! Sort of a mix of citrus/melon/apple.

Lather - As good as you can get without tallow. Loads of lather, very slick, good cushion.

Efficacy - I have only had impressive shaves with this soap. This is one to choose when going for BBS.

Moisturizing - Maybe a little - certainly not drying.

I almost didn't want to like this soap as I have too many. Thoughts of putting this one on B\S\T vanished after 2 great shaves. The den is loaded with damn fine soaps and I'll just have to endure it if I can. :thumbup1:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
WHAT a scent! And a really fine soap! I thought it a little expensive, but a puck, though small, will last a long time.

This seems to be a very good quality soap that produces an excellent lather, and a well-lubricated, soothing shave. Even when I hack away trying to get extra close, I don't get irritation. It leaves my face moisturized---almost as good as Valobra Menthol, which is magically moisturizing for me.

BUT...its greatest asset is the smell. Fruit-like, yes, but it smells, to me, almost exactly like crushed balsam needles. Since we always had a balsam tree for Christmas, this fragrance smells, in the best possible way, like Christmas to me. Not a pine smell, but the sweet, clean smell of balsam with some fruity undertones (orange? apricot? apple?). But don't think you'll smell like a fruit basket. The fragrance is complex and subtle. Really like nothing else.

Even if this was a so-so performing soap, I wouldn't be able to resist using it just to enjoy its fragrance. AH, but it shaves wonderfully. I can't wait to try the aftershave balm...:biggrin1:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I don't think I've ever used a truly bad soap. That being said, this soap has quickly surged to being in my top two.

Price: I know soap lasts a long time. This stuff is no exception. I gave it an 8 because I can buy soaps that work almost as well, with their own containers, for less. Not only that, but the soaps I've just described are 2-3 oz. larger. Don't let this deter you; and please don't think I'm being overly harsh or critical. I'm simply comparing it to all the other soaps I have/have used.

Quality: Top notch. I love the little cardboard box the soap comes in. Looks great, cool design. I haven't had the guts to throw it away yet even though I know I'll never use it. The soap comes shrink-wrapped to keep it "fresh". Very nice.

Scent: This is where most people would vote higher than 10 if possible, myself included. It's a citrusy, plant-like scent that I could smell all day. It tones down once it's out of the box, but comes back full force when lathered. I took a gamble buying a soap I'd never smelled before, and it paid off.

Lather: My top three favorite soaps are MWF, Pre de Provence, and Arko. This stuff makes lather faster and more stable than probably two out of those three. I've never had a problem lathering it.

Efficacy: Even if I don't have the lather perfect, it shaves well. This is very unlike other soaps I've used. The results are predictable: excellent shave, every time.

Moisturizing: It certainly doesn't dry my face out. When I follow Kyle's prep, my beard is more hydrated than when using pre-shave oil. Seriously.

So, in summary: buy this. Buy it now. You won't regret it. :thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
They will not fit in Trumper bowls. I doubt they will fit in any other popular bowls either as they are shaped differently from most pucks. Your best bet is to grate the soap into a container of your choice. Do not attempt to melt it, you will ruin the soap.

I have an EJ soap that came with a plastic travel container, but it doesn't fit snugly in there. Personally, I just hold mine in the palm of my hand and load up my brush that way.
does anyone know if these will fit the geo trumper bowls? They're similar weights
I also am new to DE shaving and bought a 3-pack sample of this soap on E-bay. It is great soap. It smells great, produces an excellent lather, and leaves your skin silky smooth. I think it is better than Art of Shaving. I have no irritation when using the EJ soaps.
I am a new wet shaver, so I don't have a lot to compare to. I tried this soap this morning for the first time and was impressed. It smelled great, lathered very easily and provided a very slick shave with my straight razor. I look forward to my next shave with this quality soap. It will be a permanent addition to my routine.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
its a great soap with a very good lather,smells VERY nice and i think the cost is good for a nice soap.

will be buying it again.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This soap has a very pleasant scent. It has a plant-like scent that's very hard to describe other than that it's clean, fresh, and makes you want to smell it more. It's a special treat whether you're shaving in the morning or the evening.

This soap doesn't produce a very impressive lather, but it still provides so much moisture and slickness that a perfect shave is easily within reach of this soap. The one caveat it seems for this soap is that there's a thin line between too much and too little water, but it performs beautifully once you've got the balance.

For the price it's certainly worth checking out, and I certainly don't regret acquiring my puck of EJ Sea Buckthorn.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
One of my favorites... it matches the hype.

This soap came to me highly hyped and highly recommended. Often times that is a recipe for disaster because you're expecting so much. Surprisingly, this is one that did not dissapoint. This soap worked its way into my regular rotation after the first few uses.

The scent is teriffic, the lather thick and rich, it seems like it might never dry out, moisturizes the skin, stays slick and I usually only have to apply once per pass.

I really can't recommend it more.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Yes.... Why?Why? 2 soaps are great and one terrible? Someone who has all please respond. :smile:
this is probably a silly question, but why is the sandalwood so bad relative to the seabuckthorn and aloe EJ soaps? It appears that the sandalwood has gotten all negative reviews on here, but the other two scents have gotten the highest praises. Shouldn't the makeup of all the soaps be the same?
Should I buy the refill or travel container? I heard that the travel container is annoying but I don't know why.

Also if I get the refill are you guys grating/milling it?
I recently got this from Shavingessentials.net. I love the scent of the soap. I think it smells of green apples maybe. Then.. the lather is just amazing. It creams and puffs up real nice. This soap didn't dry out at all. If I was going to go to one soap.. This might be it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
This stuff is THE BOMB!!!! I recently purchased a puck of this soap, and while it is a small puck, it is very hard and will last for a very long time. The smell is absolutley out of this world. The first review stated that this soap was hard to get a good lather. I strongly disagree. I have not had any issues creating a rich lather with nice peaks. I use a dirty bird scuttle so my lather is nice and toasty when I apply it. As for the shave....... I LOVE IT. It always gives a great lubrication and leavs me without any irritation whatsoever. I like this soooo much that if you have purchased this soap and you do not like it send me a PM and I will either buy it off you or trade for it. that is how much i like it, and I already have 3 extra pucks of this stuff in my closet.....:biggrin:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Wonderful soap to use. The scent is just fantastic, really fresh and clean but not a "soapy" clean...its more a refreshing clean.

The lather is quite slick and moisturising. I would have liked the lather to be richer but it still works well so its a bit of a moot point I suppose.

Its a great price for such a high performing soap and the scent is just amazing!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
What a soap! I started a recent thread about the EJ Sea Buckthorn soap but I wanted to contribute to this poll, too. This is a new favorite of mine. It performs great and is possibly my favorite scent. It's a small puck, but it's a hard milled soap that will last a long time. I was very surprised.

-Andy

p.s - I'm fairly new to all this, so, my only points of reference are Provence Sante, Pre de Provence, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Mama Bears, and Colonel Conk. The first 3 on the list are my favorites (right behind the Sea Buckthorn now).
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I didn't see a review here for the soap version so I thought I'd put in my two cents.

Price: A refill costs under 10 dollars canadian. Considering how long soaps
last in general, I can't see how I could rate it under a "10".

Quality: Nicely packaged. Neatly embossed with it's logo on the cake.

Scent: This is where this soap shines. It has one of the nicest
scents I've come across so far. It smells very natural. Kind of
like a cross between a faint rose and a green plant. Hard to
explain, but very fresh, very natural. I was a little concerned
when I first opened the box as the smell was very strong. Once I
started lathering with it though my reservations were gone.

Lather: No in between here. Either its very soapy (too much water), or
very thick. Hard to get a "cream" out of it. The good news is either
way, it's still very lubricating.

Efficacy and Moisturizing: Another of it's strengths. I was a proraso guy,
and still managed to get a moderate amount of
razorburn on a fairly regular basis. After I
recieved this I was shocked to see no razorburn
at all after my first shave with it. I've had
virtually no razorburn since. It's very slick and
very lubricating. It's also very moisturizing.

All in all I'm very impressed. I've had a lot of BBS shaves using this, my merkur hd and derby blades. My skin no longer hurts to touch post shave, my shaves last longer (no more 5 o'clock shadow), and I absolutely love the scent of this stuff.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)