What's new

Edwin Jagger Handmade Medium Super Badger Brush

Fantastic brush that works great with both soaps and creams. Excellent value for money!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
A bargain for the price and quality EJ offers. smooth on my sensetive skin and leathers nicely up cream i use. Highly recommended!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
great brush, my every day brush, at a great price... only complain is that the brush gets a bit floppy and too soft for me, some times i like to feel the resistance of the brush when im lathering my face...
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
This is a wonderful brush. It looks good, it feels good, and the price didn't break the checkbook.

Price: There are many different price points centered around super badger hair. Most other like brushes are more expensive nearing $100. I purchased this from The English Shaving Company for $61+change out the door shipped from England.

Quality: My other brush is a Col. Conk pure badger. This EJ was a Godsend for me. The handle is superbly made, looks remarkable that pictures cannot even begin to do it justice. The loft is great. Not too big, not too small it's a perfect in between. This brush is smaller than my Col. Conk in every aspect but the performance is unrivaled.

Density: There were a few times when I first using it that I thought it wasn't picking up and holding lather. Every time I squeezed the bristles in my hand I was rewarded with a handful of lather. For being as soft as it is, it sure backs the lather in it's bristles. On the other hand, because of it's softness, the bristles seem to smash down and fan out easily. This affects the performance with the first application to the face. After that you can manipulate the bristles back to its original form when applying lather to your face in a painting motion.

Stiffness of tips: I gave it a 5 because I'm not sure what the rating is looking for. On the one hand, it does not feel stiff at all. On the other, considering the gobs of soap it picks up and the overload of lather it produces, there has to be a certain stiffness to it for the performance it yields.

Softness of tips: So soft. For me, it is between a feather and the softest paint brush. It really feels very gentle and cushioning against the skin. You can feel the badger hair in it, but it's not prickly like a pure badger brush.

Ergonomics: I hesitated with purchasing a medium brush. I thought this might be too small of a brush handle. Once it arrived, I realized I had the perfect size of a brush. The handle is big enough to wrap about three fingers and thumb on it or just right for using the index finger and thumb.

Latherability: Like I mentioned earlier, this brush is deceptive. It wants you to think it's not taking on lather but when you squeeze the bristles, your hand is overflowing with lather. I gave it a 7 because due to its softness, it takes longer to build up a thick lather. What might take a minute with my pure badger brush takes me double time with the super badger.

Overall I'm very impressed with this brush. Many owners of this brush report bristles falling out. I get the occasional bristle. Maybe one lost every other shave. Dealing with the English Shave Company was very pleasant and smooth. I ordered on a Friday I believe and hand the brush in my hand the following Friday or Saturday. Either way it wasn't that long at all considering the travel distance. They even included a few unsolicited shave samples with my order. I probably could have bought this a little cheaper by a vendor in America but the nostalgia of receiving a package from overseas was worth the extra money and wait time. One thing I would suggest is buy the shave stand that accompanies the brush. I didn't and now will have to place an order for it which will probably cost more than if it was included in the original order due to shipping costs.

Final thoughts:

I have all I need in my Edwin Jagger Super Badger Brush. It works flawlessly for me. I love the look, the feel and the performance of this brush and as such have no desire to purchase any others any time soon with the exception of the B&B LE 2009 brush.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
Picked one of these up last week in The English Shaving Co's specials section. Price was excellent but I rated on the regular retail price. I upgraded from my Omega Boar brush, which is actually not too far away in softness after 6months of daily use. Haver to say though that this little beauty works a dream. Lather forms at the mere sight of the bristles and it covers wonderfully. The handle is a little small compared to the head size though. Fully recommend one. Oh, and it dries well too.

Additional note on TESC shipping overseas. I live in Australia and this arrived 3 working days after I ordered online! That's quicker than Aussie companies ship!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Pro's
- almost as soft as EJ silvertip and gives a good luxurious feeling
- fan type shape is a little different than bulb type i.e it spreads a little larger and suits to person who enjoys a larger massage(althought soft one)
- price
- great retention, latherability and easy to whip due to fan type
- great with softer creams
- great quality

Con's
- sometimes feels too large and a little bit too floppy due to mentioned above
( this can be avoid by binding the bristles with small rubberband )
- not the best for hard soaps
- not the best for those who wants rise up whiskers with rougher face lathering
(suits me well cause I'm more mug/bowl type)
Wow, I picked this little beauty up a while ago from fleabay, used it a bit in my rotation, and it kept popping up more and more. Finally tonight I decided to find out exactly what model it was as it came with no box and the decal gave up a while back.
Link
This little beast is a luxurious little worker. Great water retention, just enough spring in the bristles to feel scrubby if need be, but oh so soft. Whips up huge lather with any decent soap and just loves to super lather. My only complaint is the handle is just a bit small for me and this is not fair as I have very large hands. It has never had a shedding problem at all [wish it could teach my other brushes this feat] and just keeps shoving the other brushes farther back in the rotation. It's sitting here in front of me right now and I just keep feeling how nice it is.
Hope yours will serve you as well as mine has me.

edit: I forgot to say the pic is from their website!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)