What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89L

I agree with the other reviews; this is a great razor. The price is fair for a new razor. Very well made with a good hand feel. The handle is slightly longer than my vintage Gillettes and that feels good. It is a mild shave, but a close shave. The razor seems as harmless as a 48-50 Superspeed, but cuts closer in 3 passes. Of course it is not adjustable and the 3 piece blade change is much more difficult than a TTO. But the only thing to not like about this razor is that it is a 3 piece razor. This should have been my first razor, but contrary to some comments that this is a RAD killer, I may have to buy another one and find a custom upscale handle.
Larry
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
1.00 star(s)
I got one in about a week ago and I've only shaved with it once so far.I think it's a nice looking razor and not that aggressive.I'm using a Personna in it at the moment.Kind of afraid to put a feather in it...or in the others i have.:biggrin:This is the first razor that i have that is a three piece but it really isn't a problem,just gotta know how to hold the blade.I highly recommend this razor.
Yes, it is shiny. If you prefer other handle options they have ebony and ivory and Muhle makes a textured plated version with the identical head.

Yes, the gap is similar to the HD, but I feel the fit and finish is much better than the recent HD's, and you won't find any variation in the gap.

Yes, it feels great in your hand, and the overall balance will please many, many users, regardless of handle preferences. The balance and handle thickness were clearly well thought out, well weighed out.

Yes, blade loading is what it is on this style razor, but there is 0 blade movement; it's pinned in there with absolute precision. Perhaps a bit less aggressive than the HD.

Yes, it is an HD beater in my book, especially at the current exchange rate ($26US). The head redesign is more than simply a redressing of the old HD head, it is an actual improvement. The plating seems thicker and of better quality, and the availability of multiple handle options either through EJ or Muhle make this razor the winner regardless of price.

New standard.
I purchased this razor to add another tech style to my armamentarium. It was $33.50 from bestgroomingtools.com. It arrived in a very nice, blue box. Comparing it to the HD, the handle is longer and the head is about the same size. Looking at it next to the tech, everything is bigger, head and handle. This is a three piece razor, like the tech. See this link for some pictures:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=84669

First of all, this razor is shiny, shiny, shiny. If you don't like polished chrome, don't get it. I'm not wild about this aspect, but it's not a major point. As to weight, I don't have a scale, but it is probably about the same as the HD. However, the handle is a little longer, and I think it is better balanced. I checked the gap, and it is about .030 inches, similar to the HD, and slightly more than a tech. I've heard others rave about the "fit and finish" of this razor. It's fine; no better than the HD.

Let's load it up and shave. Blade loading is similar to the tech. Balance is outstanding; this feels great in my hand, and the longer handle makes it less dense feeling than the HD, which is a little stubby for its heft (some like this feature.) The aggressiveness feels like the tech, which I like. Using a crystal blade I got a very nice shave. No issues, no complaints.

In summary, I got this razor to have a brand new tech, in essence. Well I have it. If you are looking for a tech supplement, I think I'd choose this over the HD. The only reason you might hesitate is that blade loading on an HD is easier. This doesn't bother me, but for some it might be an issue.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)