What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89L

Superbly balanced, beautiful chrome finish and solid performer.

I started my wet shaving journey about 27 years ago with a cheap butterfly razor, which made it a breeze to change blades. The EJ89 is a 3-piece razor, which obviously takes a bit longer to take apart, clean and replace the blade. However, I find the 3-piece mechanism to stabilize and slightly bend the blade downward for an excellent shave.

I'd consider my purchase of the EJ89 one of the best value investments since I started wet shaving and a beautiful work of engineering. Highly recommended for anyone just starting or the very experienced wet shaver.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
2.00 star(s)
Pros: shiny chrome, well-balanced, good quality shaves
Cons: not adjustable, blade removal not easy
This shaver may be ideal for those who are interested in learning about wet shaving. The good news is that, after the learning curve, you're still left with a shaver that will outstanding for a lifetime of shaving.

Installing the blade could be easier. Unscrew the handle, and you can access the blade assembly; screw the handle back on, and you're ready to go. It's surprising how little time it takes to do - well under a minute.

It comes with a pack of Derby blades - a brand that's noted for its smoothness. This shaver excels with top quality blades, and doesn't do very well with cheaper blades. So. you'll be in shaving heaven with a Gillette Silver Blue or Polsilver blade.

And with a great blade, you'll look forward to shaving, as opposed to tolerating it.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Finish
Cons: Length
Purchased from Gifts and Care.

My second 3 piece razor, first being a goodfella which I didn't enjoy after one shave.

I was very surprised at the efficiency of this razor even though it is not very aggressive.

I have only tried this razor with an Israeli personna nd so far excellent results.

The blade is kept very tight hence allowing against the grain under the chin without rashes.

The grip is very good and balance is near perfect but if it was just a little longer say 1/2inch it would be better suited to those used to super adjustables.

A great choice for a newbie with a mild blade and perfect I assume for an experienced/heavy bearded shaver with a feather or Kai blade.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: weight, price, smooth slick performance
Cons: non grippy handle
+ price, very smooth performance, quality
- no grippy section of handle

I usually use a shavette during the week days and the Feather on weekends. I fancied trying a DE so reading the reviews I opted for the DE89L due to all round ratings.

First impressions - I'm very impressed, so much so that I will be using this as my every day shaver.

The razor has a good solid weight to it which actually helps with its balance and ease during use. There is no irritation, no burn, (even if I try), I can't see how anyone can cut themselves with razor. There is no tugging or pulling of the hair, just a wonderfully smooth, effortless, problem free glide, delivering a quality 1st pass with the grain.

For further closer shaving, simply perform another pass across the grain and lastly against the grain.

Dare I say, this is fool proof to use, exceptional value considering other products on the market, performance and quality of product and shaving results!

I have very sensitive skin, and fast thick asian hair growth. This is the best shave with absolute no fuss, exceptional results and very quick to use.

Whilst I got used to the solid chrome handle, I would simply advise, that individuals ensure their fingers are dry when taking hold of it if in doubt of your grip.

To give others an idea of my shaving set-up and how to compare my views, my shaving set is shown below;

Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
Pros: mild, ease of loading
Cons: shiny
A first review, in order of topics above:

Price: Not overly expensive. It is very much worth the price I paid, between 35-40 (from bullgoose shaving)

Quality: You get what you pay for, in a good sense. This razor feels and looks like a quality product. (It also handles like one)

User Friendly(ness): Very user friendly, I find that the handle is just long enough to fit in my whole hand, not a bit shorter, and not to much longer. The handle feels "just right." Changing blades is a bit tedious, but that will be covered in a bit.

Grip: The grip on this handle is nice, its lined, but the lines are rounded off. I find that I have to really dry my hands off to avoid this slipping in my fingers. It's not a bad thing, but different from what I am used to. I feel that if I had to buy this product agian, I may go for the 'barley' versioned handle.

Ease of blade replacement: Blade replacement is easy, twist the handle until all three sections separate. A bit tedious, but extremely secure.

Aggressiveness: very, very mild. which is exactly what I was looking for.

Adjustability: Not adjustable

Balance: Balance is good, I find that mine balances just on/ right below the bottom ring if the razor is standing upright.

The only gripe about this razor is it is extremely shiny. Not a bad thing, I enjoy it. BUT it holds finger prints like a champ. I have very hard water where I live and I am sure this will come into play within the next week or so.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Great weight and the lines help with grip
Cons: I think the handle is a little fort for me
I love this razor and I feel that it's an awesome choice for a person that's new to DE shaving. I would totally get it again and If I'm looking for a gift for someone this might be my go too.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Beautiful to look at and to use
Cons: None - blade replacement isn't as nice as Merkur HD though
I recently purchased my 11th DE Razor - the EJ DE89L - and I'm willing to proclaim it as my all time favourite razor after only 5 days of use.

I don't know why but I get a BBS smooth every time after a 3 pass shave. And let's face it, this is probably the most beautiful looking razor on the market right now.

The Merkur HD is also a great razor, but the EJDE89 feels better and looks better in my hand. The head seems a bit heavier as well. The one place the Merkur HD is superior is the blade replacement mechanism, although the EJ isn't a problem - just not as easy.

Highly recommended!
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Great styling and feel with a close comfortable shave.
Cons: None
This is my first review. I felt the need to review the Jagger DE89L due to being so impressed with the product. It has the eye appeal, feel, and performance that you look for in a razor. This razor with a Gillette Black in it is a rock star of the shaving world to me. Even though it is a 3 piece I gave it a 10 for blade replacement since it is what it is. For me, this razor with some of the sharper blades on the market, are meant for each other.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
D
Pros: It's beautiful. It looks like a museum piece in the stand.
Cons: Not very aggressive, but good enough.
If I were asked by a friend what should be their first DE, this would be it. Very forgiving, and just absolutely a beautiful piece. Despite the mild blade stance on this razor, it provides a good 3 pass BBS every time I use it. I thought the smooth handle may present some grip problems but not so. The balance is perfect and it never moves from my fingers. The size of the head allows me to get a good shave under the nose and in other tight areas. Fantastic piece to use, and to look at. Even after adding others to my den, I still use this one regularly, and because of the fine craftsmanship I get a little thrill when I remove it from the stand. If you are going to just buy 1 DE, this would be a fine choice.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Beautiful workmanship.
Cons: A little on the heavy side
I had been shaving with my Gillette Super Speed since returning to DE shaving about 6 months ago, so this is the 3rd razor in my stable. (The other one is a Gillette Slim adjustable) The razor itself is beautiful to look at. The heavy chrome finish lets you know you have a very well made shaving tool in hand. That said, at 2.7 oz.it is a full ounce heavier than the Gillette SS, so it felt way different in my hand as I began to shave. I used the fresh Derby blade that came with the razor and some Frazer shaving cream on a day-old beard. The razor lets you know it's shaving you, which is NOT to say it's uncomfortable. It was quite comfortable. But it's kind of like holding the steering wheel of a BMW vs. an old Cadillac while on the freeway. The Beemer allows you to feel the road. The Caddy isolates you from it. I got a supremely close shave with this razor and not a nick on my face, which is remarkable with a brand new razor. Inasmuch as it's a 3-piece tool, putting in a fresh blade and post-shave cleaning is a bit more of a chore, but so what? If I wanted a quick shave, I'd go back to a aerosol can of Edge goop and my old Fusion. All in all, a very pleasant experience and no "buyer's regret" at all.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Weight, length, visual aesthetic, very forgiving razor, three piece
Cons: Price point in the market may dissuade some buyers
Great weight, feel, medium-low aggressiveness.This is truly a work of art.I fully recommend it to anyone looking.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
0.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Easy to Use, You have to try inorder to hurt yourself, handle an acceptable length for us "Big-Hand"'s...
Cons: Perhaps the throat is a tad narrrow, as I notice much of my lather getting "stuck" under the blade
Full Disclaimer, this is my first DE: I would recommend this product as a starter razor. It is very forgiving, to the point where you have to try and cut yourself. It disassembles quite nicely, and when assembled it certainly feels sturdy. However on the flipside, for some it may quite well be not aggressive enough. Also, I have noted my lather tends to build up quite a bit under the blade, resulting in the requirement to disassemble it to fully clean it. However my lather tends to be more like rubbing cream on my face :O. The handle is quite a nice length, as so those of us with big hands can actually hold it, yet short enough you aren't constantly tempted to apply tons of pressure. However I will say that it would have been better had they used horizontal bars instead of vertical stripes on the handle, as the vertical stripes do NOT prevent your hand from slipping. Overall a good starter razor, not too much I can make substantial complaints about.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Disclosure: This was my first DE razor. I use feather blades and RSC cream.

I am a super obsessive shopper, so price was a major part of me getting into DE shaving. Therefore, I was very deliberate in my choice of razors. I bought this razor because it was the least expensive "nice" razor I could find, and because I saw plenty of prior Merkur HD people who had converted to EJ DE89L, but none who went from EJ to a Merkur.

I have no flaws in the chrome on my razor. I learned to shave DE style with it, using feathers, and have really only cut myself once (this morning actually) after more than 3 months of DE shaving. Although it is only chrome (remember, my last razor was a Mach 3), I never lose my grip, even when wet.

Perhaps the biggest testament to this brush is that I have not had even one slight desire to buy another razor. :thumbup1:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I've had my EJ89L for 7 months now. I love it even more now than I did when I originally recieved it, and I fell in instant love with it. It is a beautiful razor, especially for the price. It is by far the smoothest damn razor Ive ever slid across my face/neck. The feather blade really makes this razor come alive. This is the first razor I truly dont even feel cutting, it just glides accross, leaving myself thinking I have a terrible blade angle. Nope, its spot on angle, it just slices through my whiskers like hot knife/butter.....I have no easy beard to tackle either, dont mistake the easiness for a kids beard. I have a thick wirey, multi directional growth, w/ super sensitive skin, and a even with a bbs shave I still sport a fred flinstone muzzle.

Bottom line, it's IMO the best value on the market today. Ive tried tons of different Merkurs, and several other brands. Im not knocking any of those either, I had a Merkur Mergress for over 18 months. But it is a cant go wrong razor, for a beginner, a middle pack runner, or an experienced veteran. If you dont like it, u can make it vanish on bst fairly quickly too. soooooo in other words, GET ONE ALREADY!!! :thumbup1::thumbup1:
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Best finish of any of my razors. This quality of chrome sets the bar. Handle is good gut not a grippy as a Merkur HD or slant. A fairly mild shaver.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I just got the razor today. The plating looked great until I saw a flow in the plating.

Balance: The balance is great and so is the grip
Agressiveness: The razor felt really smooth even with a feather blade, it is really forgiving. So I gave the agressiveness a 5. However, it is just perfect for me. It gave me a bbs shave with 3 passes and blade buffing.

Overall this is a great razor for beginners and even better for advanced users. I would definately recommend it. Although I hope that you get lucky and don't get any really small flaws in your razor.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
I bought a Chatsworth razor off a fellow B&B member and and decided I could not just live with Edwin Jagger razor. The DE89L had great reviews here and I got an amazing price on the English Shaving Company website.

Like the Chatsworth, I get BBS shaves with Russian Gillette 7 o'clock blades with either soaps or creams. I'm a happy lad and my Gillette Slim Adjustables are now museum pieces and I might give my Merkur 15c to my brother.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Only minor issue is with a three-piece rather than a butterfly design to change the blade. But, I knew that going in. Other than that, this is a thing of beauty! Fantastic fit and finish. Well-balanced, I like the longer handle as may some others - especially those transitioning to DE - as this handle length is very similar to the cartridge razors you are coming from. Still can't believe how inexpensive this was for what you get. I also got this one because the handle is not perfectly smooth. It has ridges in it to make it less slippery. It works.

GET IT! You won't be sorry.

BTW...blades working best for me with this so far are Bluebirds and Gillette 7 o'clock Yellows. And as always...YMMV!!!
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Price: I paid $26.00 to have this shipped to my door brand new. Amazing!

Quality: Simply beautiful. Everything I wanted in a Merkur but didn't get.

User Friendly: Nothing complicated here. Put blade in, run over skin, remove hair.

Grip: Handle can be a bit slick with wet hands. The handle looks amazing with it's high polish.

Ease of Blade Replacement: Unscrew handle, lift off top, place blade in, screw back on handle. If this is hard for you go back to carts.

Aggressiveness: I have no idea how to judge this so didn't want to punish with a low score. The EJ DE89L provides a very comfortable shave.

Adjustability: There is none, other than holding the razor at a different angle.

Balance: My only other 9. I would prefer if it was a bit more head-heavy.

I really love this razor. It is a pleasure to open up the shave cabinet and see it sitting there awaiting my use. I highly recommend it to everyone. You really can't beat the quality, the price, and the shave.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Hiya,

I was recently sent this EJ model (thanks Joe) to try out. I'd read so many great reviews about this product, but you never know how it'll work till it's actually used. I'm glad to have sampled this before buying one, since it didn't fit me very well. Heh, that particular monkey is now off my back.

As others have mentioned, the build quality is very good. I also have no problem with the balance, and the handle (surprisingly) doesn't slip during use. Normally, I like more of a 'bite' to the knurling, but this lined grip was fine.

This razor gives me sorta odd shaves. It's not much more aggressive than my favorite razor (fatboy) set on #4, but there's something going on here I don't like. I find myself having to pay waaaaay too much attention to detail, more than usual for this mild of a razor. Matter of fact, I even managed to nick myself during a few shaving sessions when loaded with an Iridium. Now THAT is very rare for me, even when using extremely aggressive razors. I also tried a Red Personna, which eliminated the nicks but was a little too dull to cut properly. No, there's something about the EJ that just doesn't agree with me. I'd imagine it's my technique or face or beard that isn't suited for this razor.

I've used somewhere around 40 different razors over the years, and by now I can tell pretty quickly if one's right for me or not. I can adjust my technique to compensate for a razor being too mild or too aggressive, and will almost always end up with a smooth and blood free shave. The idea of having to be so careful with the EJ(and still sometimes drawing blood) makes this one a no go for me.

Sure, it's possible I just didn't find the right blade for this thing, but I'm not willing to go down that particular rabbit hole right now.......

Martin
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly