What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89L

Item Description

I purchased this razor to add another tech style to my armamentarium. It was $33.50 from bestgroomingtools.com. It arrived in a very nice, blue box. Comparing it to the HD, the handle is longer and the head is about the same size. Looking at it next to the tech, everything is bigger, head and handle. This is a three piece razor, like the tech. See this link for some pictures:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=84669

First of all, this razor is shiny, shiny, shiny. If you don't like polished chrome, don't get it. I'm not wild about this aspect, but it's not a major point. As to weight, I don't have a scale, but it is probably about the same as the HD. However, the handle is a little longer, and I think it is better balanced. I checked the gap, and it is about .030 inches, similar to the HD, and slightly more than a tech. I've heard others rave about the "fit and finish" of this razor. It's fine; no better than the HD.

Let's load it up and shave. Blade loading is similar to the tech. Balance is outstanding; this feels great in my hand, and the longer handle makes it less dense feeling than the HD, which is a little stubby for its heft (some like this feature.) The aggressiveness feels like the tech, which I like. Using a crystal blade I got a very nice shave. No issues, no complaints.

In summary, I got this razor to have a brand new tech, in essence. Well I have it. If you are looking for a tech supplement, I think I'd choose this over the HD. The only reason you might hesitate is that blade loading on an HD is easier. This doesn't bother me, but for some it might be an issue.

Latest reviews

Superbly balanced, beautiful chrome finish and solid performer.

I started my wet shaving journey about 27 years ago with a cheap butterfly razor, which made it a breeze to change blades. The EJ89 is a 3-piece razor, which obviously takes a bit longer to take apart, clean and replace the blade. However, I find the 3-piece mechanism to stabilize and slightly bend the blade downward for an excellent shave.

I'd consider my purchase of the EJ89 one of the best value investments since I started wet shaving and a beautiful work of engineering. Highly recommended for anyone just starting or the very experienced wet shaver.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
2.00 star(s)
Pros: shiny chrome, well-balanced, good quality shaves
Cons: not adjustable, blade removal not easy
This shaver may be ideal for those who are interested in learning about wet shaving. The good news is that, after the learning curve, you're still left with a shaver that will outstanding for a lifetime of shaving.

Installing the blade could be easier. Unscrew the handle, and you can access the blade assembly; screw the handle back on, and you're ready to go. It's surprising how little time it takes to do - well under a minute.

It comes with a pack of Derby blades - a brand that's noted for its smoothness. This shaver excels with top quality blades, and doesn't do very well with cheaper blades. So. you'll be in shaving heaven with a Gillette Silver Blue or Polsilver blade.

And with a great blade, you'll look forward to shaving, as opposed to tolerating it.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Finish
Cons: Length
Purchased from Gifts and Care.

My second 3 piece razor, first being a goodfella which I didn't enjoy after one shave.

I was very surprised at the efficiency of this razor even though it is not very aggressive.

I have only tried this razor with an Israeli personna nd so far excellent results.

The blade is kept very tight hence allowing against the grain under the chin without rashes.

The grip is very good and balance is near perfect but if it was just a little longer say 1/2inch it would be better suited to those used to super adjustables.

A great choice for a newbie with a mild blade and perfect I assume for an experienced/heavy bearded shaver with a feather or Kai blade.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)