What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89

Pros: Mild but efficient
Cons: dey ain't none
If you can't get a great shave with this baby, you probably should put a cork on your fork. Some times a mild razor is actually more effective, as you can use more aggressive tactics with it. This is just such a razor. I use it for travel as my Ikon Bamboo is my "at home" standby. When I call the DE89 mild, I don't mean like a Feather( total piece of junk....a 12 year old girl scout could use it to shave her legs!) The DE89 will be a classic.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Beautiful, good price, good shave
This is the third safety razor I have used. I have had a Merkur 47C and a Parker 71R. I really liked my Merkur, but I gave it to a brother-in-law when I got the Parker for Christmas. I didn't realize at the time there would be such a drastic difference between the two. I didn't like the Parker at all. Thus I began a quest for a new DE safety razor. After a couple weeks of serious research (this is also how I discovered B&B), I settled on this EJ DE89. I love this razor. I got it from leesrazors.com. It looked beautiful right out of the box, and it gives me the perfect balance between "not too aggressive" and "I still need to respect this razor before I create a bloody mess all over my bathroom". I have been using this guy for about two months now and I haven't had any problems with the grip, although I can see how it could be a problem potentially. Its lighter than my other two razors. I enjoyed the weight of the Merkur, but the Parker unnecessarily heavy to me. The DE89 is lighter than both of those. The blade placement is somewhat of a pain compared to others, but its not like its a 30 minute ordeal that leaves my fingers nicked up and needing to restock my bandaid supply weekly. Further, if this is the only complaint I have with this razor, then I think I found a pretty excellent product. Definitely worth the $40 I paid. Great value, as I may not buy another one for as long as I live.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
Pros: My First DE: Well Made, great quality.
Cons: It makes me want another one
I'm New to the DE world of wet shaving. I'm very happy with this first time DE razor. I've been reading how much others love this razor too. The razor is easy to use and I got the hang of it quickly, even for a Newbie like me. It shaves very well and I will not go back the plastic cart razors, ever. B&B was very instrumental in my decision to go this route (thanks B&B). I’ve tried several different blades and so far the Astra blades work best but I will still go back and retry the other blades to see if it was my technique and not the blades. One thing that I learned right away was not to wash the razor under a stream of HOT water (like I did with the plastic razors). It caused me to flinch when the super HOT razor made contact with my face. Thanks for reading my review.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
3.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Baby Smooth Shave without the aggresiveness
Cons: I liked it so much, I ended up getting a D89L model!
A great choice for a beginning DE shaver, or anyone wanting a baby soft shave without using an overly aggressive razor. I found this razor to be forgiving. While I attempt to perfect my technique, I know it excused a few times where I would have otherwise created a weeper if using a more aggressive razor. Summary: Smooth and forgiving shave. As close as it gets, with much less risk.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Easy to use; very good looking
Cons: slippery handle
I can see why so many recommend this razor as a starter. It's got great quality and it's so easy to use. This razor seems pretty mild to me. It takes me 3-4 passes, but I get a great shave and it seems nearly impossible to hurt myself. The plating definitely does look a bit nicer than on my Merkur as others have said. I prefer TTO to 3-piece, but I really like the size and shape of this head. The smooth handle is a bit slick if soapy, but ok if just wet.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Price, performance
Cons: None
My first and it's doing the job very well. The price makes it a perfect intro to safety razors, but it's performance allows for a permanent place in your rotation. I have no complaints; only praise.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Affordable, solid, chrome
Cons: Slippery when wet
This is a great starter razor. The weight and shape of the razor allow a user to fine tune their techniques. I recommend it.
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
Price:
Got mine at Best Grooming Tools for $34. Great price.

Quality:
What can I say? Its an Edwin Jagger. They make beautiful stuff. And the chrome is b-e-a-utiful!!!

User Friendly:
Pretty straight forward. Changing the blades is a little annoying, but then again most 3 piece razors are in that area.

Grip:
For a smooth chrome finish, its pretty easy to keep a good grip on. If everything is all wet and covered in lather, it gets a little tricky, but I've never really had a problem.

Ease of Blade Placement:
Okay, I have to admit, its not that great. I love my TTO models, and my 34C/HD is a lot easier. Just be careful.

Aggressiveness:
Despite everybody saying that this is on par with the 34C/HD, I have to say that for me that is not he case. It does feel better in the hand, but its way less aggressive. If I'm doing an ATG pass, or a more agressive XTG, I have to change the angle so more of the head is on my face so the blade can cleanly clean up the remaining stubble. This is not the case with other razors that I have used, where a normal 30 degree will cleanly remove all stubble w/out needing to change the angle that much. I can still get DFS/BBS, but it requires more clean up passes.
This is the perfect razor if you want to learn how to shave with some of the sharper blades such as the Feather.

Adjustability:
Not an adjustable.

Balance:
Very well balanced razor. Doesn't feel too top heavy, but has a nice substantial feel to it so I don't feel like I'm running a Bic on my face.
Top Bottom