What's new

Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera shaving cream

I really enjoyed this cream. The scent is wonderful! It is kind of fresh and green smelling and I detected nothing artificial or chemical about it. I only wish it was a bit stronger, but only because I liked it so much. For those that do not like overpowering aromas this would be a plus for you. The later was sooo easy to build it practically did it on its own. I only skimmed some off the top of the tub and it whipped right up. In fact the pictures only show the early stages. As I went on with the shave it just continued to explode as I got 4 passes and had plenty left for more so I would rate this cream as one of those "a little goes a long way" varieties. I thought the price was not bad as I got a tub for around $16.00 and the quality is well worth it. Overall it is a super cream and I highly recommend it. I've posted some rather low quality pics from my iPhone just as no one had posted any.
I think EJ shave cream is one of the best on the market as indicated by my ratings.

EJ is one of the more expensive creams, although not the costliest by any means. Comparing is a little difficult unless you calculate a "cost per" rate of some kind for each cream. Below is a "cost per ounce" comparison of EJ with nine other creams that many think are quite good:

Edwin Jagger = $5.70 per ounce
Castle Forbes = $5.15 per ounce
Penhaligon's = $10.00 per ounce
D.R. Harris = $4.72 per ounce
Taylor of Old Bond Street = $2.55 per ounce
Geo F. Trumper = $4.42 per ounce
Truefitt & Hill = $5.52 per ounce
Acqua di Parma = $12.40 per ounce
Art of Shaving = $4.40 per ounce
Santa Maria Novella = $6.19 per ounce

I used prices from shaving or manufacturers' sites to develop this chart. For consistency, all are based on the "jar/pot" cost per ounce rather than "tube cost". The tube cost is usually a little cheaper but not all manufacturers market cream in a tube. You may do better buying at a discount site or from someone on eBay or here at B & B.

However, "cost per ounce" may be a misleading measure because some creams are known to last longer than others. For example, Acqua di Parma, the most expensive on this chart (and one of my favorites), is thick, like a soap, and lasts a lot longer than a typical cream. Therefore, AdP may be (and is) far less expensive than it appears.

A much better (and fairer) measure of how expensive a cream is would be to calculate the "cost per shave" - count the number of shaves you get from a jar and then divide that number into the purchase price. This would require actually using all of the creams in the chart - a project that might take one person several years to complete! That kind of longitudinal scientific research is beyond my pay grade! :laugh:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
D
Received mine yesterday and used it twice - very close shaves (some burn), smells great, but dries quickly. My issue is that, like most, I was shopping price and thinking it would be good quality but affordable. Beware! The container only has 3.5 oz in it when most other cremes have almost twice as much, making it more expensive than any I have tried thus far by alot! In this "big money" catagory, Castle Forbes was wonderful but pricy at $38, but that container held 6.8 oz - a better creme for less money per oz.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I really like this stuff. Well, I don't like the smell much. It's not too offensive, and the annoyance is fading with repeated use. But I really like its performance on my sensitive skin. My skin feels great, with least irritation of all creams and soaps I've tried. I haven't tried any triple milled English products, but I've been through proraso, musgo real, art of shaving lavender, Mitchell's wool fat, Kiss My Face cool mint. Added bonus: I've been told ingredients are mostly natural.
I received a sample of this EJ Aloe Vera SC with an EJ LeGrelot. A very smooth, slick creme that builds a very protective lather in a hurry. I used it with a Merkur 34c and an IP blade that was just about due for a replacement.

BBS. Still near BBS Smooth 9 hours in.

This requires more research. I'll be trying it with a straight.
There is not so much to say about this cream really. Like any good quality cream, this cream does what it is supposed to do; protect, hold moist and give the blade a slippery track to glide on. It does this, in my opinion, at least as good as any of the high end English creams that I have used. What I liked most about this product however, is the scent. It really smells like Aloe Vera is supposed to smell and it does not at all have an artificial scent like some other creams have (notable example; Vulfix Sicilian Lime). Edwin Jagger 'Aloe Vera' is a decent cream with one the best scents around. Highly recommended!

(This review is based on a sample)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability