What's new

Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera Aftershave Lotion

Pros: Moisturizes well without irritation
Cons: The scent is nothing like the EJ aloe shave cream
I have been looking for an ASB with a nice scent which works well on sensitive skin. After a few unimpressive tries with other products, I figured I should be smart and stick with a brand I have been happy with and with a scent that I already like. I use the EJ aloe shave cream daily and love it. Well, to my surprise, the ASB does not smell anything like the shave cream. It smells very artificial, almost like plastic.
I works well enough as an ASB, it's soothing, a good moisturizer, and does not irritate sensitive skin. However, for me, the scent is unpleasant. If I found the scent tolerable, I would have given it much higher score and continue to use it.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Soothing, no irritation
Cons: None
I have been using the Aloe Vera and the Sandalwood versions for two years now.

When I started off with DE shaving, I used to get horrendous razor burn. I would try to use an Alum Block and scream in agony as the pain seared through me. Then I found this stuff. Bought it on a whim. Right from the start, it always soothed my skin. It calmed the burn. It wasn't cooling but it stopped the itching I got afterwards. It kept my face moisturised for the rest of the day.

It's expensive but the first bottle lasted me around 18 months and that's shaving 3x a week, every week. It spreads easily across the face so I only need to press the nozzle 1-1.5 times to cover my face. As my shaving technique has improved, I don't suffer from razor burn or any nicks/cuts. Despite that, I still use it.

Downside is maybe scent. The sandalwood smell is smoky. I don't think anyone can replicate sandalwood properly. I have chess pieces made out of sandalwood so I know what it smells like. The aloe vera one is fine as well. Again, the fragrance is very subtle.

I don't need to look anywhere else for an aftershave lotion.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Works well on razor burn and heals blemishes; natural composition;
Cons: Initial strong artificial smell; not so readily available in Australia; slightly greasy
I found this ASB to be very effective in fighting razor burn. It's very comfortable to wear, and the one pump of the bottle seems like the perfect amount. It's a little greasy, but once it dries my skin feels very smooth and soft. The smell is quite artificial and is probably the 0.01% of the product that is artificially derived. Fortunately it dissipates within 30~60 minutes. It beats out my old favourite, Jack Black's post shave cooling gel, although I really enjoyed the light natural scent of the Jack Black's product, and of course it costs a lot less than Edwin Jagger.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
It releaves razor burn, nothing else I have tried in the past works as well as this
A good product that contains a large number of natural ingredients. Somehow though, for the premium paid, I was not excited about it. Moisturizes well without leaving the skin with oily residue or sticky feeling, the scent is nothing exciting to write about, the bottle is very good but for me personally it still leaves me unimpressed (I am getting ready to have it up for trade at the moment.)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I just got a full bottle of this after having a sample and I absolutely love it. I got a little bit of a rough shave, nothing terrible but had a little rough feeling when I got done. Put some EJ AV ASB on and my face feels great, it is very moisturizing on my skin, no burn, and I am in love with the scent. The only problem is the bottle may not last me that long because I keep going back and squirting a tiny bit out and adding it to my face because I love the scent.

The price on it may seem a little spendy, but I think a little goes a long way, you don't need much to cover your face. So based on the longevity I think it's a very good deal. When I finally run out I don't see any way that I won't be buying more.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Simple, classic black livery promised a lotion that fell short right out of the starting gate for me: No distinguishing scent beyond a light, and I mean light, sweetly, vaguely undefinable essence of "Sea Buckthorn" or whatever. A small disappointment from a quality firm that produces such otherwise finely designed and crafted brushes. I wanted to like this, but it is what it is, or in this case: what it isn't.
I use Muehle Aloe Vera soap and after shave on regular basis. They have the same scent note. To my knowledge EJ and Muehle skin care products are identical.
Perfect thread for asking: Does this lotion has the same scent as the EJ aloe vera shaving soap? My guess is yes, but I feel I have to ask since it's kinda expensive here in Sweden.. I would like something to put on my skin after shaving that smells like the EJ aloe soap, since I love the smell.
I have been using the EJ Seabuckthorn rendition of this and like it a lot. My guess is that the basic formulas are the same except for substituting sea buckthorn for aloe vera. At any rate, the scent of seabuckthorn is very nice . . . kind of like the scent of a bowl of very ripe fruit, apples, pears, bananas, grapes.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I originally got this as a sample, and my wife loved it so much, she convinced me to buy it. First of all, I'm not sure it's supposed to be an aftershave or a skin care product, but since its description is "aftershave lotion" I put it under the aftershave review heading.

The price is very attractive -I got a 100ml for about $25 including shipping (The English Shaving Company had a special offer). However, what good is an attractive price without an attractive product? First, the smell is just a lovely clean smell, and the lotion has excellent moisterizing properties. The smell is not overpowering, but seems to have good legs to last.

Criticism? Perhaps just a tad greasy (use sparingly), though that's being very picky, and little to no cooling effect -though that's something I can personally live without.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)