What's new

Edwin Jagger Aloe Shaving Soap

Pros: Performance, price, and ease of use
Cons: Easy to lose interest in
This is the first of the Edwin Jagger or Muhle mug soaps that I have tried. They are a decent price here in the UK, at just £7.00 for one 65g soap, or £15.00 for the triple pack, direct from The English Shaving Company which is the same company as Edwin Jagger. I bought the mixed triple pack with the other two pucks being Sandalwood, and Lime and Pomegranate.

I find it a ridiculously easy soap to load, and it takes water well when face lathering. Indeed it needs plenty of water to get the best slickness from it, and you need to keep hydrating till you get a good sheen. I find the slickness perfectly adequate, and my skin is very happy post shave, even if I don't follow up with a post shave product.

The scent is mild and "soapy", and may be lacking in interest for some shavers. I always have a choice of three lather products in my bathroom, so that's not a big hurdle for me. Highly recommended for anyone looking for an old faithful type soap, which they can use daily with no frills or drama. I keep mine in a pewter dish from Wentworth Pewter, also based here in Sheffield.

IMG_20210330_125000_edit1.jpg IMG_20210330_125938.jpg
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: good performer
Cons: little pricey
Overall this soap was a top performer. I used a Omega synthetic brush, and to load it all I did was wet the soap slightly and load in my hand (having got the refill and not the bowl). I loaded for barely a minute until I started to get a pretty good proto-lather. I then face lathered and got enough for a 3 pass shave.

The performance is what I have come to expect to from a higher-end soap. Great cushioning, VERY slick, and a pleasant scent. The scent is the only category where this soap falls a little flat, as the aroma is quite plain "just soap".

Altogether, this was an ace soap. Decent (if slightly steep) price, excellent performance, but I personally would recommend another scent. However, if you prefer a mild scent or if someone in your home objects to scented products this is a solid choice.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Lathers easy.
Cons: Lacks slickness.
The nicest thing about Edin Jagger soap is that it's really easy to lather. However, I find that the lather is not as slick some of the tallow based shaving soaps, which are usually harder to lather. The scent is just ok, but pretty mild. And the aloe is a nice touch as it helps moisturize. Overall a really good product. Though I do feel it's a tad overpriced, it is on the cheaper side than most.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Really, really like this soap.

As mentioned already, the scent is incredible. Been alternating between this and the trumpers almond and the trumpers coconut.

will be re-ordering this for my sunday morning 'take-my-time' shaves
My favorite soap to date. Lathers up very easily, producing a high quality lather to boot. I absolutely love the scent.

I ordered mine from The English Shaving Co in puck form, as I keep my soaps in mugs. If you just order the refills you can save some Ducats. I'll be ordering up some in sandalwood as well.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)