What's new

Edge Sensitive Skin with Aloe Shaving Gel

Pros: Availability
Cons: aerosol can prefer tubes
I am using up old product. I really didn't like this product at first but it was less than 3 oz. and it was in my travel kit. So, I bought a Parker brush last month. Wow, what a difference that made. Instead of having this gel splatter over the sink and me, I lathered it up with the brush in my hand. By using the brush, I had foamy slick stuff ready to apply for second pass. (ATG pass). I would rate this just above Palmolive. Others that I have tried and like very well include Palmolive Classic, Jack Black, Pacific shave cream and Kiss my face. Edge is sold almost everywhere and my only complaint is the fat can is kind of big for air travel even though it is less than 3 oz. I would prefer a tube.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I recently revisited this stuff. It was a favorite before I discovered the joys of traditional shaving.

From a technical standpoint, this is certainly better than canned foam when it comes to providing a slick ride with some glide to the razor. Teamed up with a good DE razor and blade, Edge delivers a fine shave.

I won't be tossing my soaps, creams and brushes, but if I had to forsake them, I'd still be using Edge.
This stuff is neither better nor worse than any of the the other mass market gel products. I recently tried Clinique for Men shaving gel, it is a non-aerosol product that comes out of a pump, and it is far better than any of the Wal-Mart or drug store brands of gel. It is, however, much more expensive.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
Just goes to show that learning how to shave properly makes using a canned product much more productive (and even enjoyable)..
Until recently I had not purchased a can of shaving goo for years - I suppose I am definitely a die hard brush and soap man. That all changed when I broke my arm the day after Labor Day and I discovered that along with many other inconveniences shaving was a considerable chore. SWMBO suggested that I try a can of gel and after getting over the horror of this idea I relented and picked up some Edge, and to my surprise I actually like the stuff! It is quick and easy to use, doesn't smell too bad and provides a perfectly good shave. I believe I will keep in in my rotation for those mornings when I am I am rushed or when I am away from home.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This is the stuff I used to use before I started wet shaving and when I started using my first DE. This stuff is ok at best. It just isn't as slick as a good soap or cream.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I made the jump to DE shaving with badger brush, AOS cream, etc around Christmas time and haven't looked back to my Mach 3 since.

I did get a free Fusion in the mail and thought I would try it side by side. No surprise, my Parker/Derby combo ran laps around the 5 blade monster. Also, the side I shaved with "technology" broke out in pimples for a week.

Today, I found a travel sized can one of our guests had left and thought I'd give it a comparison run, expecting results similar to that of my razor experiment. I was...disappointed? And by disappointed I mean, I got a really nice shave. No nicks. BBS. Huh? We'll see how long the shave lasts (I get 12 good hours when I use a soap, 6-8 when I use AOS cream).

I don't really care for the cooling sensation, and the gel is cold to put on my face. So it loses big points in the tactile department. The scent is ok, but I prefer my usual sandalwood or lavender.

Loses obvious points because it is a drug store, no brush necessary sort of shave gel, but really, it's not all that bad. In fact, I might get a better result to that I get with AOS cream. However, I prefer the classic experience. I still prefer shaving soap (I have a puck form classic shaving) but in a pinch, and certainly when ease of traveling is a priority, this is a solid brand to fall back on.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Edge gels are really underrated.

I hate foams, but gels are much better, and Edge has really great products :thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
What else can I say? I might as well turn in my B&B membership card for reviewing a mass-merchant bought product. However, Edge Sensitive Shaving Gel with Aloe is a regular in my rotation, and it deserves a fair review since I regularly use it, and absolutely love it.

In the days before I got into DE shaving, I used Edge since it was easy to find, and relatively user-friendly. Just pop off the cap, apply a small amount to your hand, and rub on your face. Easy enough, right?

I've recently been scaling my down routine, as I need to shave everyday, and sometimes can't be bothered with having to whip up lather. This is where Edge fits in perfectly.

For a store-bought product, I couldn't ask for anything better. I primarily use it in the shower, as it adds to the slickness/lubrication and helps soften my tough beard hair. The first time you apply Edge, you'll notice a cooling sensation that really calms your skin. I can effortlessly start on the sides, work my way down to my neck, continue up to the chin/lower lip, and finally finish off the upper lip...all without irritation or nicks/cuts even when shaving ATG!

The smell is somewhat pleasing, without being too overbearing. It's definitely a masculine scent, so it might be a departure from your more "girly" shaving creams/soaps.

The packaging is sufficient, but some might not like the fact that a little bit of product tends to leak out after using. It's not a big deal, as you can just wipe it with your finger or a tissue, and you're good to go. Overall, the amount of product dispensed is enough for excellent lathering, and I feel that it is not in any way wasteful.

After the shave, I get such good moisturization that I often don't even need any ASB. It leaves my skin feeling BBS, and the aloe really helps with any redness/irritation problems that I sometimes get with harsher soaps/creams.

Overall, Edge is a real "diamond in the rough" for a store bought product. It might not be the most popular product on B&B due to its lack of exclusivity, but it is a definite keeper if you want something quick and efficient for mornings when you have to get to work.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)