What's new

Ed Pinaud Clubman, Old School Scent

Item Description

AFTERSHAVE REVIEW:
Pinaud Clubman After Shave Lotion

COST PER OUNCE:
A 12.5 fl oz container will run you around $10.00. A stop at the local Sally Beauty Supply store introduced me to this little gem of a bottle for under $7.00. It grabbed my attention, keeping me occupied as my wife browsed through the isles of hair product wonderment. I figured that at a whopping .56¢ an ounce, the odds of not having buyers remorse were stacked in my favor. I also believe it may have been the only male product in the entire store.

ABOUT:
According to my sources, (the Internet), Pinaud Clubman was founded in France in 1810, where it debuted out of the House of Ed Pinaud in Paris and grew to reside in barbershops around the world. Over 30 years ago, they were acquired by a company out of Los Angeles, but the quality remains the same. With that being said, we all know that French people smell great, or so I've been told by the Internet.

PROS:
Regarding the list of pros, I guess we can start at that darn price of .56¢ an ounce. At first, the price made me a bit reluctant to make the purchase since it was priced similar to other classics worn by 12 year old boys like Brut, or something sold by Avon, placed in a container shaped like a car. If you grew up in the 70's, you can grasp what I'm saying here.
While the sales clerk wasn't looking, I slightly cracked open the green plastic lid to allow my myself a whiff of what I assumed would be a brief unpleasant experience, prompting me to placed the now seal-broken container back onto the shelf. Instead, I found myself transported to the days when young boys went to a barber shop decorated with red, white, and blue striped poles, and large vinyl barber chairs, finished in polished chrome. Indeed this gold colored liquid had that exact same powdery fresh scent of her sister product, Clubman Talc, which was used by barbers everywhere, and brushed onto the back of your neck for that fresh new haircut smell.
All this olfactory induced reminiscing was great, but how it might perform on my face was a completely separate concern. After passing the odor test with me, and the little woman of course, I placed it on the counter for a bargain purchase, and upon receipt, promptly placed a bit on my face. I again received scent approval from the wife.
The true test wouldn't arrive until the next day, when it was applied after a fresh shave. The green labeled plastic bottle of affordability did not disappoint. The quick sting of alcohol followed up with a very powdery soft feel to my skin. The longevity of the softness, and light powdery scent has thus far outperformed many of my other aftershaves. It also seems to be a bit less aggressive than my other aftershaves, causing little concern for future allergic reactions from continued use.

CONS:
If you don't want to travel back in time, or if you're just not a fan of powdery fresh scents, this may not be the product for you. I for one, find it to be a nice alternative to some of my other splashes. The rather large plastic bottle can be a bit of a con, as I like to display my aftershave splashes on the sink counter along with my other manly crap. All the others are in small glass containers, and then there's Pinaud. It's kind of like buying whiskey in a large plastic container with a built in handle. When your friends see it, they assume you may need intervention. I personally think that a little redesign of the plastic bottle couldn't hurt, but then I would probably no longer be paying .56¢ an ounce. Maybe a little in-house re-bottling is in order. After all, this one container should last me until around the year 2025.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
This very reasonably priced aftershave gives really good post-shave results. I would venture to say, better than a lot of my other aftershave splashes. Coupled with that nice light scent that lingers throughout the day, this one is a must try. Next time your wondering aimlessly through the isles of Sally Beauty Supply, or your local pharmacy, awaiting your name to be called over the loudspeaker for prescription pick-up, I would encourage you to seek this little treasure out and give it a try. I've seen it on retail shelves for years, always passing by with a thought of meh....I'm glad I finally gave this one a chance. Time to go shave, and follow up with a bit of that liquid gold of the French Gods.

Latest reviews

Pros: I like to think Napolean and I are shaving together.
Cons: I use it sparingly so I really don't know the affect on others.
My first haircut came in '50 or '51 in one of those white-tiled emporiums where men got their "chop job" and shave followed by the overpowering smell of Clubman. If you remember, in those days your barber really slathered you down with aftershave and hair tonic and smelling overwhelming was not an embarrassment but a badge of good grooming. (To be clear, at the age of three I didn't get slathered.) Only about four or five years ago did I try Clubman from eBay. The scent was time-travel to me and the price was ridiculous compared to today's products. I do get the tingle but not the burn and had settled on Vegetal as my go-to for the most authentic flashback. Does my mug right.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Reactions: MrBeez
Pros: It's got it all..
Cons: Does not compute.
How many years has this been around? And still unbeatable. In my opinion, my day to day shave could not be improved upon unless I could buy the 1950's / 1960's version of Old Spice but since that ain't happening, I then rely upon "Old Faithful" and loosen the lid on my Clubman Penaud and splash away. Always enjoyable.

p.s. And I love the sting of alcohol. ;)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Strong and Long Lasting. I can still smell it on my clothes when I wash them.
Wife Loves it and the Women I work with like it.
Cons: NONE
This is a historical scent that been wore by men for over 150 years. If you want a LONG lasting scent this is the one to buy.

So get up go to the store and grab a Legend Clubman and you can also get a body powder , shampoo and other products.

Women will flock to you wearing this stuff.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)