What's new

Eagle G3 in Best. The soap destroyer.

Price: 9 - Cost $103 dollars new which is right in line with some of the simpson's brushes that compare (duke 3, chubby 1, etc.)

Quality: 7 - My simpson's label fell off on the first use and the gold filling in the lettering eventually all fell out as well. Simpson's did send me a replacement sticker and I used some black emory compound to fill the lettering back in and sealed it all with finger nail protector, so it looks as it did new (save the black lettering which IMO looks even better now).

Density: 10 - Simpson's is known for density and this is one of my most dense brushes period.

Stiffness: 10 - There is plenty of backbone here for that scrubby face lathering that I truly enjoy.

Softness: 8 - Simpson's best hair isn't as soft as say their "super" grade of hair, but the best is no slouch either. Plenty of softness here and you really can't beat the price for simpson's best hair (especially in some of their lower end models).

Ergonomic: 10 - The eagle handle rocks! period! nothing else to say.

Latherability: 10 - This thing is a soap destroyer and lathers like a beast when properly loaded.

Overall: The eagle has become one of my favorite brushes and definitely is the best simpson's brush I have ever used. It has earned a spot in my top 5 brushes and will more than likely never leave my shave den. Haven't owned a chubby 1 or duke 3 in best, but from the specs these appear to be the closest brushes to the eagle should you be looking for something similar.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Alright, I wanted to take my Eagle G3 LE's measurements for posterity and figured why not do it in the form of a review.

It's pretty simple. This was a Limited edition run Simpsons made for a group buy of their Eagle G3 (Pure) in their Best grade hair. Wooo. It cost ~$103 new.

Why do I like this brush?

I've noticed that Simpsons hair (Pre and Post Vulfix, 3band and 2band supers) and Shavemac D01; while all extremely soft on the rare occasion let a little tiny bit of prickliness slip through. The best actually avoids this, I suspect because it is a little scrubby, so that prickle is unnoticeable. In trade-off, you are a hair less soft and don't hold quite as much water. I wouldn't call that necessarily a downgrade. It's a different hair, but I honestly won't say that the two or three band supers are any better than this high quality best. To be honest, this best looks more "Silvertip" than a lot of cheaper brushes Silvertip/Super/Finest hairs do.

It's short lofted, extremely dense (It bunches in my hand nearly as big as my 26mm D01 and 28mm Chub3 do) and badger, so obviously it lathers like a monster. I can't say that it's a better latherer in practice than my super/D01 brushes, they're all impeccable latherers, but I suspect that it's Theoretically a bit better than they are thanks to that bit of scritch and extra backbone.

The size is great. Dense, compact and imho right around perfect splay diameter for my face.

I don't know what the best substitute that is still available for it is, but my guess from looking at the specs on other Simpsons brushes would be a Duke 3 in Best.

As for quality. I've used mine about six times now. It has Never lost a hair. Not even during washing. That deep set knot is useful for more than making it kick soaps asses and give nice firm face feel.

This brush is still in my collection. The 08 and 09 Le's (both excellent brushes) have moved on. So take what you will from that.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)