What's new

Dunhill for Men (original) cologne

Simply a gorgeous evening cologne. Florals, clary sage, leather, spice, wood, with a superb soapy leather powder drydown. It's actually really quite complex - I normally dislike florals with leather as they're either too complicated and cluttered for my nose, or they're overpowering and a little rancid (Knize 10 - i'm sorry). The difference with Dunhill, is that the florals are linked to leather with a sage accord that perfectly warms the bouquet into its leather basenote. It's very refined, even slightly dated (which is possibly why it's now discontinued), and is simply done exceptionally well.
Ok, so the box is IMO pretty dire (hence the 5), but who cares when the bottle and the juice are this great? The atomiser is also very good - far better than modern Dunhill atomisers which basically project a jet of juice like a waterpistol. I'm sure this is part of the reason why the longevity, for a cologne, is relatively high on me - 2 spritzes last around 6 hours on skin, a few hours longer on clothing.

It's a sensible, mature cologne for sensible, mature men. If this is your sort of show, buy a ticket before the perfume e-tailers run out and you're left with decants or partial bottles for silly money on forums. I have a nearly-full bottle, which i'm very grateful for (I got it for £30-odd from a Basenoter), but even though I do not wear it often, i'm already looking for a suitable replacement. It's not quite a "masterpiece" but it is very, very nice and in my Top 5.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
The Dunhill store on Fifth Avenue has about a thousand bottles of fresh Dunhill For Men (1943) for sale at $70. It is fresh and fantastic and the last of the breed. If you can or do get to New York City stop and and get one of the last of the good stuff. This is about the best fragrance ever made. My only complaint is that it is just a shade "tame" and doesn't project very much, which I guess most people would appreciate. Come and get it guys!
A classic scent and, as Doc4 wrote, a tragedy of discontinuance. Starts of with a brief, well mannered floral burst and quickly dries down to a wonderful, dry leather. Not the stanky, yet equally wonderful, leather found in Eau d'Hermes but a refined, very English leather. Absolutely oozes class, dignity and and refinement. Fantastic stuff.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
A tragedy of discontinuance. A wonderful scent, that is unlike most 'modern' scents. I'm not really an 'in-depth this note and that note and drydown' kind of guy when it comes to cologne reviews, at least that sort of stuff is beyond my abilities and nose. But I do love this stuff.

I realy dig the traditional bottle. It has a real sort of Art Deco charm to it that makes me want to display this in my bathroom ... not as a trophy, but as art. I just wish the top wasn't plastic.

If you're a stand-up guy who plays hard but by the rules, who is alive for the moment but respects the living past, who can be counted on to do the right thing and who is more of an individual than a slave to current fashion, I'd say get a bottle while you still can (but doubtless you have one already!)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
The 1934 classic is a good old standby. It's spicy, with the barest hint of floral.

My bottle is the old cylindrical one. There are lot's of other more modern Dunhills out there, and they are not as good. They're generally packaged in the "hip flask" and might be called "Dunhill," "Dunhill Men," or many other appellations guaranteed to confuse both you and the sellers. I've seen some of the modern ones listed on E-bay as "Dunhill for Men", released in 2003. If you want to know you're getting the 1934 version you may want to go for the older bottle, or at least verify you're not getting an inferior modern variant with a similar name.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
A nice scent. This is one of my "night" scents when I am heading out for a special evening. I receive lots of compliments on it, and it isn't one of those scents that everyone (meaning mainstream CK and Ralph Lauren scents) has.

-Mike
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
This hard to find fragrance just blows me away. I've been searching for it for quite some time, as I wanted to buy it local rather than blind off the internet. Even Basenotes doesn't offer any decants of this stuff right now. Finally, I found it at Dillards. I just couldn't stop sniffing my wrist after I tested it, even hours later.
This scent is hard to describe: It is very masculine, refined, classy, mature. Not floral per se, though there are floral notes in it. The drydown is leathery for sure, but very complex and not obvious. It conjures up images of wool overcoats, leather attache cases, fedoras, men with strong chins - not mercenary ladder climbers - loving husbands and fathers. The kind of man that is honor bound, strong, clear-eyed, well-mannered. The kind of man who stands and helps a lady to her seat. The kind of man that stays true in good times and in bad.
The packaging has been recently updated, it now has the "hip-flask" shaped bottle of the other Dunhill products. But don't let the packaging fool you, this fragrance is in its own league. The newer "freshes", "desires", "blues", and "Editions" are trendy junk compared to this.
It lasts for hours upon hours. This is one that stays with me all day long. It has pretty good sillage, but not to the point that the fragrance preceeds you. It hangs pretty dutifully right in your personal space.
The cost at dillards is around $50 for 2.5 oz., but they have a special gift box promotion right now where you can get 2.5 oz. of the cologne AND 2.5 oz. of aftershave for right around $65. The aftershave is also excellent, though they call it a lotion, while it is more of a splash. The combo deal is hard to beat.
In summary, this is a fragrance easy to love. A true classic whose staying power is due to quality. This may well become my new signature scent.
Top Bottom