What's new

Dragon's Blood - by Mama Bear's

Item Description

Dragon's Blood was the first scent of Mama Bear's to get my attention. I purchased it along with Barbershoppe, and went back for Aged Spice.

I want to say up-front that this fragrance amazed me immediately. The top notes never vanish; the warm vanilla and incense settle in with the slight citrus and floral, blending during the dry-down into something wonderful and lasting. The top notes don't serve to sell the product; they're simply an annoying artifact of cologne function, something that needs to burn off for a few minutes and let the cologne open up.

In other words, this scent doesn't go on smelling like one thing and then fade down to a gentle palate of woods or citrus. It goes on smelling strong and forceful, and develops into something even more balanced than the first spritz. It goes on very nicely, and then refines itself from a pile of scents into a well-blended final product that stays with you even until you wake up the next morning.

Because of this, the scent only gets better after it calms down. You don't lose something you smelled putting it on, aside from maybe the harsh bite all colognes have while going on. I feel this is a defining mark of an extremely high quality product, and of a product that still draws attention even when it's almost completely faded and the only girl that can smell it is the one currently in your arms.

The smell of at least two citrus variants, some mixture of floral, incense, and vanilla are all readily apparent to me. They dry down into a comfortable mix, something predominantly warm which I identify as incense; but a slow breath and a few seconds of concentration allows you to pick out the vanilla first, and then identify certain ever-present artifacts as hints of citrus and floral.

All of these things continuously contribute to the fragrance; but importantly, none of them stands out. Even the predominant warmth is a tainted one, an unknown aroma that you can quickly associate with whatever stands out most in your mind (for me incense, but it would not be far-fetched to recognize a subdued vanilla first) but that you're quite aware is in no way pure. Until you put effort in taking the scent apart, it smells like an interesting variant on something recognizable, if you recognize it as anything in particular; it smells like something pure and singular, yet something so complex.

I love this scent. It seems warm, romantic, and ... very calming. It seems like it could slow the night down. With luck and a woman that finds the scent as alluring as it can be, this cologne could turn a night of quick, aggressive sexuality into a slow, subdued night of passion, one that may end the same but much later and after much more bonding. It could also be the magic that draws your significant other close to you, rather than leaving her flopped over on the other half of the bed; after all, it's much better to wake up with her in your arms than to wake up and check to see if she's still there.

This cologne has opened up my perception of colognes; my experiences with it have lead me to turn a curious eye towards scents I would normally not attempt, such as Mama Bear's Jasmine Nights. Dragon's Blood is riddled with fragrances I typically think lowly of, such as floral, vanilla, and citrus; but the combination has produced an unbelievable aroma and lead me to re-evaluate my take on colognes.

EDIT: Wow, the ratings didn't save. Tops for scent, complexity, and quality in its own right; I'd pay about 50% more for this stuff so tops for price; packaging and atomizer are better than I'm used to but could be fancier, irrelevant though.

Latest reviews

Great review.
Maybe just add some ratings?

Wim
D
Dragon's Blood was the first scent of Mama Bear's to get my attention. I purchased it along with Barbershoppe, and went back for Aged Spice.

I want to say up-front that this fragrance amazed me immediately. The top notes never vanish; the warm vanilla and incense settle in with the slight citrus and floral, blending during the dry-down into something wonderful and lasting. The top notes don't serve to sell the product; they're simply an annoying artifact of cologne function, something that needs to burn off for a few minutes and let the cologne open up.

In other words, this scent doesn't go on smelling like one thing and then fade down to a gentle palate of woods or citrus. It goes on smelling strong and forceful, and develops into something even more balanced than the first spritz. It goes on very nicely, and then refines itself from a pile of scents into a well-blended final product that stays with you even until you wake up the next morning.

Because of this, the scent only gets better after it calms down. You don't lose something you smelled putting it on, aside from maybe the harsh bite all colognes have while going on. I feel this is a defining mark of an extremely high quality product, and of a product that still draws attention even when it's almost completely faded and the only girl that can smell it is the one currently in your arms.

The smell of at least two citrus variants, some mixture of floral, incense, and vanilla are all readily apparent to me. They dry down into a comfortable mix, something predominantly warm which I identify as incense; but a slow breath and a few seconds of concentration allows you to pick out the vanilla first, and then identify certain ever-present artifacts as hints of citrus and floral.

All of these things continuously contribute to the fragrance; but importantly, none of them stands out. Even the predominant warmth is a tainted one, an unknown aroma that you can quickly associate with whatever stands out most in your mind (for me incense, but it would not be far-fetched to recognize a subdued vanilla first) but that you're quite aware is in no way pure. Until you put effort in taking the scent apart, it smells like an interesting variant on something recognizable, if you recognize it as anything in particular; it smells like something pure and singular, yet something so complex.

I love this scent. It seems warm, romantic, and ... very calming. It seems like it could slow the night down. With luck and a woman that finds the scent as alluring as it can be, this cologne could turn a night of quick, aggressive sexuality into a slow, subdued night of passion, one that may end the same but much later and after much more bonding. It could also be the magic that draws your significant other close to you, rather than leaving her flopped over on the other half of the bed; after all, it's much better to wake up with her in your arms than to wake up and check to see if she's still there.

This cologne has opened up my perception of colognes; my experiences with it have lead me to turn a curious eye towards scents I would normally not attempt, such as Mama Bear's Jasmine Nights. Dragon's Blood is riddled with fragrances I typically think lowly of, such as floral, vanilla, and citrus; but the combination has produced an unbelievable aroma and lead me to re-evaluate my take on colognes.

EDIT: Wow, the ratings didn't save. Tops for scent, complexity, and quality in its own right; I'd pay about 50% more for this stuff so tops for price; packaging and atomizer are better than I'm used to but could be fancier, irrelevant though.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
3.00 star(s)

Item information

Added by
bluefoxicy
Views
Reviews
Last update

More in Fragrance (Reviews)

• Woodhue for Men
    Woodhue for Men is a masculine fragrance by Fabergé. The scent was...
  • Bulgari Pour Homme Soir
    Bulgari Pour Homme Soir by Bulgari is a Woody Floral Musk fragrance for...
  • Obsession for Men
    A fresh citrus explosion at the top notes (tangerine, grapefruit, lime...
  • Body Kouros
    Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for...
  • Paco Rabanne
    Paco Rabanne by Paco Rabanne is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men...
Top Bottom