What's new

DR Harris Arlington shaving cream

Pros: latherablity, scent
Cons: scent (to a certain degree)
This has to be the best cream that I have ever used. With a small dollop of cream I was able to fill my bowl with creamy lather!!! I have never been able to do the same with TOBS or my gold standard, Maca Root. The cream stayed creamy throughout my 3 and 1/2 passes, which is another issue I have had in the past with TOBS. It was fine shaving experience, marred only by a couple of nicks due to opertor error (and a new Feather blade).

I have mixed feelings about the scent. It smells a lot like 4711 and nice and fresh citrusy. BUT. My significant other pointed out that it also smells like Brylcreem!!! And I have that stuck in my head now!!! So lets see how things progress.

Nonetheless this is truly an awesome product and highly recommended for all shavers. Top 3 creams!!

I will open my Marlborough tub tomorrow and have high expectations!!!
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent, Lather
Cons: Price
I absolutely love the scent of this product - so fresh and masculine - not soapy at all! Then moisturizing is great and contributes to a very close shave! I don't get nicks with this cream! The lather lasts forever and whips up quickly! One of my favorites for shaving rotation! Try it - you'll love it!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Slick, Smells Great, Loads of Lather
Cons: Wish there was more
Great stuff. Slick lather. Smells like a modern take on the classic barbershop scent.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I used this for the first time a couple nights ago and it is easily one of my favorite creams so far.

Price: For the cost (12$ for the tube) it is worth it.

Quality: Excellent quality compared to other creams I have used.

Scent: Lime with notes of earthy goodness. Very masculine.

Latherability: I produced one of the best lathers with this so far. My technique is still improving, but it hasn't been this easy, even with TOBS Avacado.

Efficacy: Great shave protection. Slick and smooth.

Moisturizing: My face didn't need anything after my AS.

Packaging: Slick package and the tube is well designed.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This stuff is awesome. After much debate, I finally got around to getting some D R Harris shave cream. WOW!! Best decision I've made in a while. :w00t:

This cream is amazing, very very easy to produce lather, you could sneeze on this stuff and it would produce a lather. The scent is great, very masculine and lasts for about an hour or two afterwards.

The lather is wonderful, your razor and face will appreciate the slight additional cost of this cream. Its a very thick, creamy yoghurt like lather. My face afterwards was moisturized sufficiently, and there is a very, very slight menthol kick which I enjoy.

This is certainly one of my go to creams and will become a permanent part of my rotation.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I just received Arlington from WCS and enjoy it very much.

Price: Harris is pricey, but you get what you pay for

Quality: top notch

Scent: great citrus, fern, and musk

Lather: usual Harris goodness

Efficacy: provides an excellent shave

Packing: simple, plastic screwtop container.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I tried Harris Arlington a few weeks ago and wasn't too impressed - it seemed OK, not quite as good as Taylors of Bond Street, and not as moisturizing as the TOBS avocado. I went back to it and I'm glad I did - this is really a superb cream.

Price/Quality/Packaging: On the expensive side but not ridiculous, this cream has subdued, kind of utilitarian packaging and is of very high quality, typical of the English creams.

Scent: Quite lovely - this is a subtle, refined scent, not an all-out assault like Proraso (not that Proraso isn't wonderful). To me this scent has a strong top note of lemon with a base of English fern - I don't know if ferns actually smell like this, but if they do I want some. It's a planty, mossy smell, but fresh and crisp, not musky. I think this is what Taylor's of Bond Street was going for with their "Shaving Shop" scent, which unfortunately smells kind of synthetic. This Harris cream smells very natural and delightful, though the scent is on the light side and won't stick around post-shave.

Latherability/Efficacy/Moisturizing: I use a pretty generous portion of this cream and it makes a generous amount of lather - enough for four or five passes. The performance is excellent, and I found that this cream actually leaves a light, slippery film even when scraped off by the razor (kind of like a glycerin soap). Fairly moisturizing - not as good as TOBS avocado or Musgo, but better than most shaving products. Near perfect overall.

A nice, relaxing cream perfect for spring - I'm eager to try some of the other Harris scents!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I like to keep a variety of shave creams in the arsenal (like all of us do) in particular to have something on hand that fits the bill of what the weather is or mood I'm in. Well I declared this my Lime winner. The packaging is solid, and I like how the inner lid clamps on better than most, really sealing in the product. Unless my batch was different, the consistency was a bit thick,so I had to treat it like a Valobra or ADP, aka, let it soak in my bowl w/ some water to soften it up. Otherwise, great shave, wonderful lime scent, highly recommend!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I love the smell of the German cologne 4711. This is something I could wear day and night and never tire of it.

I was suprised by someone in these forums that said there was a shaving cream that smelled just like 4711. I was intrigued!

I bought some and sure enough, it was just like splashing on the 4711!

The cream it's self is a slight let down. That's not to say it isn't any good, quite the contrary, it's a good cream, but just lacks any physical character. The shaves are good, but I get better. It's sort of Trumper's or T&Fs poor cousin.

Again, for those of you who love the smell of 4711, it's a must have, even if the shaves are a bit above average.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
OK, this review is after only one use, but one use is enough for me to note that I've not lathered so well with any other shaving cream and that this cream made a poor blade (IMO) work well. The scent is strong enough for me it not only scented the bathroom but my skin for an hour or so.

In summary -- I like.

S.

Note my scoring system:
10 -- very good
8 -- good
5 -- neither good nor bad
2 -- bad
0 -- very bad
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
One of my favorite creams. To my nose, the scent isn't weak at all. It's certainly no scent bomb, but I smell it just fine. Harris products lather incredibly well and are one of the best performing creams out there.

Background
Face: Normal to slightly sensitive
Beard: Average density and coarseness
Water: Very hard
Lather creation: Bowl
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I need to be in the mood for this one but when I am it really pleases. Lime creams don't treat me kindly so the lime note in this offering is about all I'm ever going to get. The A/S milk has a much more pleasing scent to me. The lime is the more powerful note there, in the cream it's the fern. Still, this is a real nice cream and a great performer as all Harris creams are.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This really is a wonderful cream, but the scent and the price are the definate low points. But the efficacy and the quality are among the best on the market. This will definately provide a clean, close, comfortable shave, but at a high price.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I use it for head shaving. Lathers really well(in the shower) and virtually no scent.:wink:
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Slightly disappointed at the subdued scent but performance is excellent. I'd like to try the shaving soap.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
smoothfacejeff said:
Around a year ago, I bought DR Harris Arlington shaving cream in a store selling all kinds of high-end English creams and soaps. I was immediately impressed with the latherability and ease of shave with this cream. The scent is a bit weak in the cream, and maybe the moisturizing could be a teeny touch better, but everything else about this stuff is wonderful.

Jeff

One of my faves. Scent is rather weak, but it lathers with the best of them.:thumbup1:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Around a year ago, I bought DR Harris Arlington shaving cream in a store selling all kinds of high-end English creams and soaps. I was immediately impressed with the lather ability and ease of shave with this cream. The scent is a bit weak in the cream, and maybe the moisturizing could be a teeny touch better, but everything else about this stuff is wonderful.

Jeff
Top Bottom