What's new

Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps - Liquid

I just tried this for the first time. The peppermint has a great scent! The soap is not very viscous but to me had great latherability and I used it in my hands without a sponge. I will review in a few weeks after I begin using it
I have been using Dr. Bronner liquid soaps as a daily shower soap for some time and it has been a great product. I get it in the quart size containers. My favorite scents are the almond, tea tree and citrus scents. The scents make the shower a very pleasant experience and the soap makes me feel really clean with no residue. I squirt a small amount on a "poof" ball and get a great lather.
I prefer their Organic Shikakai line of liquid soaps for the extra moisturizing effect.
ive been using their bar soaps for 2 weeks now and i love them except they dry out my face to the point where i have to remoisturize it if i use the soap on my face. I started using facial clense for my face instead of soap. I use the soap now for the rest of my body.
Dr. Bronner's Peppermint is my go-to summer soap. The tingle from the peppermint oil is not for the faint of heart. It's a real eye-opener and can quickly turn a good morning into a great one. All of the scents are lovely, but peppermint is king. The soap is extremely concentrated. A few drops on a sponge/poof/loofah and you will be rewarded with heaping mounds of sudsy lather. For this reason, the price does not offend me. It lasts long enough to make it worthwhile. I have dry skin, and while this soap doesn't dry me out during the hot, humid summer months, I'd be crazy to use it in winter. Those with seriously dry skin may want to buy a mini-bottle and try it out first.

If you buy it in bulk, you can refill smaller containers with it and use it for all sorts of things. The label takes a few liberties with this idea, such as using it on your hair (terrible idea), teeth (also terrible), car (???), and baby (they offer an unscented mild version for this). Keep in mind, however, that the liquid does not contain detergents or surfactants. It is a true soap, so using it as a household cleaner might not be such a great idea, as soap scum will eventually build up. Dr. Bronner's makes a household cleaner called Sal Suds that is more appropriate for such usage. Basically, just use it as a concentrated shower gel, or cut it with some water for hand soap dispensers, and you'll be fine. Oh, and be sure to read the packaging while showering.

All-One or None! OK!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
This stuff works great. My whole family loves it.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
My wife and I have used this soap for the last 10 years exclusively... buying other brands to try... but ultimately coming back to the Doc... We love it.

Check out the Documentary about the doc and his business
I've been using Dr. B's for years ... I used to be an Almond Afficionado, now my current flavor is Tea Tree Oil.

I've gone through gallons of this stuff in my lifetime, and I'll continue buying it until I find a better soap, which is unlikely.

While its a great first step in my bathroom rituals, its not a stand-alone product. Dr. B makes me feel CLEAN, but then I use other products for exfoliation, skin-moisturizing, hair-conditioning, etc.

Then again, if I were going camping or traveling where space and weight were factors in packing my bag, this is what I'd pack. I can put up with dry skin for a few days, as long as I can feel clean all over.

I haven't tried using it to shave with it, although I do wash my face with it first, then exfoliate with a loofah. I think it would dry out too much to be really good for lathering up to shave with.

I get a kick out of the fine-print philosophies on the bottle, although I admit I've never read the whole thing at one time, just bits and pieces here and there in the shower. But that's not why I buy it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
I'm currently using the good Doctor's Peppermint soap, and it's been my mainstay for the past 2 weeks. Refreshing, eye-opening, with a scent that won't quit, it will be my go to my summer soap. I've ordered their Lavender scent just on my postive experience with this. Try it, you won't regret it, especially during those hot summer months!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Check out the documentary when you have time.

Bronner's is a little harsh straight and rather drying--I keep a travel size bottle at my cubicle and carry it to the bathroom for hand soap because I can't stand the scent of the stuff we have in there. I have to be careful to moisturize because the Bronner's strips the oils off my hands.

I was just considering trying a couple of drops on a hot, wet towel for a pre-shave facial--my current "flavor" is eucalyptus and I think that would be quite aromatic.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
I picked up a couple of the travel size bottles last night at Target for $1.99 each. I thought these soaps were quite pleasant and I really enjoyed them both (Lavender and Peppermint). They have the larger sizes as well and the price was not too bad either. I liked that you only have to use a few drops to lather up for a good face wash. These little bottles will probably last me a while.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Price- I have a gold card membership at GNC, so I got 32 ounces for $11. That's probably 6 months of soap for $11. Considering the quality of this stuff- it's an amazing value.

Quality- All natural, organic, high quality ingredients. It does have a watery consistency- which makes pouring the right amount a little tricky- but nothing that a pump bottle can't fix in 2 seconds.

Latherability- Poured into a sponge or loufa- DB's latherability is adequate. It doesn't produce puffy white clouds of lather because it doesn't have any lathering agents- but that doesn't affect how well the product works.

Moisturizing- DB's has plenty of high quality, moisturizing oils that are "just right" for my skin year round (I currently live in DC- but grew up in Michigan where the weather fluctuates a lot- DB never left me feeling over or under moisturized.)

Scent- I'm a lavender fiend and DB's is spot on- pure and crisp... Their peppermint is fantastic too.

Efficacy- Couldn't be better. DB's leaves my skin feeling simply marvelous- the perfect balance of gently but thoroughly clean and moisturized. I think to myself "This is what soap should be like" every time I use it.

Packaging- Interesting to say the least. It would be nice if it came with a pump bottle- but that's something I can easily fix.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
There are few soaps in existence that are as versatile as Dr. Bronner's. My primary experience is with the lavender, tea tree and peppermint scents, all of which I buy in the large bottles and then decant into smaller ones for use around my house. Where can you use this soap? Well, let me see.

Laundry -- about an ounce of the peppermint or lavender in your load of wash will leave your clothes smelling really nice.

Dishes -- a couple small squirts in the sponge will give you enough power to wash a sink full of dishes.

Face -- the tea tree scent is really nice as a face wash.

Shower -- the peppermint provides a truly invigorating wake up experience. Almost like being slapped across the face, but in a good way.

Pets -- this one is a little tricky. I wash my dog with this stuff about once a month, and it leaves her coat nice and shiny. However, if your dog has dry or sensitive skin, it can make them lose some hair.

Camping! -- all you need for camping is one little bottle of this stuff. Clean yourself, your dishes, even brush your teeth! I've found the tea tree scent actually helps repel insects as well.

If you can't see already, I really like this stuff.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
As stated, this is a great line of soaps.

For my bath use, I diluted 2 parts water to 1 part soap.

I just finished a bottle of the peppermint, which I probably wont do again in the winter. The scent is great, but the 'tingle' it left on my skin would have been more appreciated in warmer months.

As expected with my dilution, the lather was sufficient, but not thick and foamy.

The scent doesn't stick to the skin long after bathing, which is a nice attribute.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
. . . in fact it's not just a cleaner for your body/face/hair/teeth/clothes: Heck, I've even shaved with it :biggrin:

I've used the Peppermint soap most often by far, but also really like the Tea Tree Oil version.

Even if you don't agree with every bit of the hippie metaphysics on the packaging and imprinted into their soap bars ("ALL ONE!"), Dr. Bronner's philosophy--now carried on by his family--still provides, in my view, one of the greatest-ever consumer products.

I like bar soap, so my Dr. Bronner's comes a bit pricier than the liquid. But Trader Joe's tends to price it considerably lower than Whole Foods, and given the quality, I don't mind at all.

Just as high-quality lather with a brush makes a world of difference from foam in a can, Dr. Bronner's makes a world of difference from everyday soap.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
The Swiss Army Kife of soaps. Brush your teeth, wash your hair, clothes, dishes, hands, body and cats (ok, check with your vet first on that last one). Like the previous reviewer, the only soap I take with me on backpacking/water expeditions. Available in a variety of wonderful scents. Very economical as a little bit goes a very long way. I suppose the one area this might be lacking is in the lather depoartment; but realize that lather does not mean cleaning; no lather is required to clean, and lather contributes NOTHING to cleaning; it's just a visual/psychological thing. The package is great fun to read, so high marks for it regardless of first-blush blandness.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Just a quick note, I have used this as tootpaste during a 4 week rafting/backpacking trip. It was okay, didn't taste like soap at all, but didn't taste like much else either. Just kind of foamy.
I have been using Dr. Bronners for years. First started using the peppermint as a backpacker - great smell, plus its biodegradable, so you could feel ok about using it in the wild. Incredibly refreshing smell, great cooling - especially when you're taking a quick bath in one of the Great Lakes!

Also, the packaging is a hoot - I remember reading the label with great interest as a college student. One of my favorite phrases was "Let's Fight for What's OK". A great all purpose philosophy. I even put it on a t-shirt (which almost got me in a scrape in a bar in Wilson Wyoming).

All in all the peppermint soap is a fantastic product I am glad to see reviewed here. I'll have to try some of the other scents.

One final note - they say you can use the peppermint soap as toothpaste...try to resist the urge! :bored:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
displayimage.php

My job requires me to take multiple, week-long trips throughout the year. When going on one of these trips, I like to intentionally forget a toiletry or two as it gives me an excuse/motivation to shop the area in which I’m staying.

On one of my more recent excursions I stopped into a Whole Foods to pick up a bar of bath soap (I hate the stuff they have at hotels). After fulfilling this need with a bar of Bee & Flower Sandalwood soap, I took a trip down the isle containing all of the travel-sized items. While reaching for a miniature tube of Tom’s of Maine Apricot Toothpaste, I noticed these little bottles of Dr. Bronner’s liquid soap. As they were priced somewhere around the $2.50 mark, I figured what the heck. I snatched up a bottle of the Lavender and made my way to the checkout lane.

Upon returning to my hotel room and in no need of a shower, I decided to try out this new acquisition as a face wash. To summarize, it was excellent. I was so pleased by the performance of this soap that by the end of the week I had managed to make two more trips to the store, ultimately returning with a bottle of every selection they carried (minus the baby-mild version).

Besides the initial trial as a face wash, I’ve gone on to test this product as a shower gel and have even put a drop or two in with my shaving cream. All in all, Dr. Bronner’s liquid soap is a terrific offering. I highly recommend it!

Price – Dirt Cheap! Around $2.50 will get you a travel-sized bottle, and like any other product out there, the bigger the bottle you buy, the bigger the savings are. Available quantities include 2 OZ., 4 OZ., 8 OZ., 16 OZ., 32 OZ., HALF-GAL., GALLON, 5-GAL. SIZES.

I find that 4-5 drops is plenty to wash my entire face and bald head so I probably won’t be snatching up that 5-GAL jug anytime soon. :eek:

Quality – Outstanding! When a product performs this well, it is no surprise to find that it is an organic product. Perusing their website quickly turned up their ingredient list: Water, Saponified Organic Coconut & Olive oils (w/ retained Glycerin), Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Citric Acid, Vitamin E plus whatever organic additives are necessary for each scent variation.

Latherability – This is the only area where Dr. Bronner’s liquid soap doesn’t blow the top off of the charts. It lathers adequately but will likely disappoint those who feel the need for huge mounds of suds while bathing. A body puff (that’s right, I use one :ihih: ) serves as a good tool for application though I had no troubles without one.

Moisturizing – Other than pure olive oil soap, this is the only cleansing product that I will let touch my face. It does a great job of cleansing dirt and oil from the face, and it is not even slightly drying. It leaves my skin feeling soft, supple, and clean.

During the dryer winter months, I’ve really struggled to find a good bath soap that doesn’t further dry my skin. Though I will have some time to wait, I’m anxious to test this product during those times. Based on what I’ve seen so far, I have very high expectations for it.

Scent – I’ve tried Almond, Lavender, Peppermint, Eucalyptus and Tea Tree and find all of them to be special in their own way.
  • Almond – the classic Almond (maraschino cherry) scent. It is sweet, but not overpowering.
  • Lavender – I’m a Lavender fiend so this one is a no-brainer. Great stuff!
  • Peppermint – The Peppermint provides a great, cooling tingle and a pleasant smell.
  • Eucalyptus – Very unique. At first sniff, I wasn’t overly jazzed about this scent, but it has grown on me. Eucalyptus is known for being a natural bug repellent so perhaps this one is a winner for the summer months.
  • Tea Tree – Aaahhh the addictive stink of Tea Tree Oil. An acquired taste for sure, and if you can handle it, this one is absolute tops as a facial soap. Like the Peppermint, it also has an invigorating tingle.

Besides using each scent solo, I’ve also combined a few of the obvious ones with good results. Lavender and Peppermint work very well together, and Peppermint with Tea Tree is also very pleasing.

One word of caution, the Peppermint and Tea Tree scents provide enough of a tingle that they may be mildly uncomfortable for use on sensitive areas (armpits and the more obvious places :wink: ).

Packaging – Environmentally conscious and pleasing to they eye, what more could one ask for? The bottles are made from 100% Post-Consumer Recycled PET plastic.

The text on the bottle (outside of the product name and ingredient list) is a bit strange. Reading up on their website helps explain exactly what is going on here. Its quirky but with good intentions.

Overall – I’m a big fan! It’s gentle yet thorough, smells great, is all natural, and very affordable. I’ve tried many different soaps, gels, and what have you over the years, and this is one of the very few that have ever gotten me really excited.

Having been around since the ‘40’s, this is definitely a time-tested and proven product. I will definitely be a repeat buyer. :thumbup:

Discussion related to this review can be found here.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)