What's new

Dovo Stainless Shavette

Pros: price, quality, performance
Cons: none
Having tried a good handful of shavettes, for me the Dovo has shown its worth the price tag over the others.

The finish, ease of use and maintenance is brilliant. It will last a very long time with minimal attention.

The rubber thumb grip has proven to help provides better shaving precision, allowing me to feel right at home with the Dovo shavette. I find it far easier to handle and shave the tricky areas with this shavette without risking razor burn/cuts/nicks.

With the red and black blade holders, you get the best of both worlds.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
5.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
5.00 star(s)
As a newcomer to DE shaving and as one who is thinking about trying either a straight or shavette, I just wanted to thank all of you for the time you spent making these very thorough and thoughtful comments. As i'm sure you all know, its very helpful to hear others' experiences. Thanks again!!:thumbup:
I've had a fair few shaves with the Shavette and have found that it certainly takes some getting used to. There is only a very small amount of blade exposed from the sleeve so it's difficult to find the appropriate angle. Having said that, with a bit of practice I've got a decent shave out of it, without any nicks or razor burn (using Tabac soap and Kyle's prep).

As far as quality goes, I was disappointed. It's very light and I find it quite difficult to hold on to. I thought being a Dovo product it would have been a bit heavier and more 'crafted' but when taking the price into account it's not too bad. Maintenance is ridiculously easy, changing the blades is easy and in terms of offering a no-maintenance alternative to standard straight razors it hits the mark.

I purchased the Shavette as an introduction to straight razor shaving. Has it convinced me to purchase a 'proper' straight razor? Not really.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
1.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
1.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
1.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
2.00 star(s)
Reactions: Zig the Pirate
Zig the Pirate
Zig the Pirate
As of December 2020, this item sells for around $45. Seems just a tad unreasonable to me.
I wanted to love this thing. I really did. I poured over the decision for a year and finally decided to take the plunge. I patiently waited for it to come in the mail. Lovingly wrapped it up as a Christmas present. Waited again and finally tore it open and got it ready for it's first use. I showered, proraso pre and lathered up. Now the moment I've been waiting for. jes, the tugging, pulling, skipping, razorburn. Sure, I know it's my first time with one, I have no experience with a shavette or anything approaching a straight, but this thing just sucks. I hate to say that too, because i really wanted to like it. At least I haven't spent $300 bucks on a fully fledged straight. It's too awkward to shave with, takes 5 times longer, and it's just not comfortable. I also found it was a bit slippery- wanted to pitch side to side. The metal scales were nice, but the stamped preformed metal that holds the plastic holder is cheap. The plastic holder isn't hard to use though (I have read that some people dislike this part of the shavette). I'll give it another try someday, but I can honestly say, I'm not a big fan.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
5.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
1.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
0.00 star(s)
Purchased one locally, spending a LOT more than I should have (about $40 for the Shavette, not including a pack of longer blades or their holder).

That said, I still think it was worth it. I'm a HUGE fan of functional minimalism, and this thing's definitely functional, and definitely minimalistic. :biggrin1: Shave was closer than any of my DEs... although since I've not yet got my straights up to shaving-sharp, it's the closest I've come to using one. Worst razor burn I've ever had, and a couple of nicks, but that's all technique-related. I think that this may very well become my main razor due to ease of use, maintenance, and price of continued maintenance.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
1.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
1.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
5.00 star(s)
I'm new at straight shaving. I used to use razor from Gillette, like the Mach 3 and the Fusion. The cartridge price made me think about trying The old way straight shaving, But man, a good one cost a lot just to try it without knowing if i will like it.
But i found the Shavette on Amazon for a great price bundled with Derby blade.
I thing it's a good way to try straight shaving before actually buying a true straight razor.
I still didn't get it. But I hope everything will go well and that i will like it ! :biggrin1:
I used one for a while and I should review it as I sold it while back to convert myself with a real straight razor.

Dovo did a good job on making this shavette. The plastic sleeves are a good idea but somehow feel a bit fragile. I didn't have any problems with mine but I think Dovo should be selling replacement plastic sleeves as part of a package. I bought the long shavette blade sleeve alone but I couldn't find anything on the DE blade sleeve other than the one that came with the razor.

The razor itself will perform differently depending on the blade (shavette/DE).

I find the razor bulky versus the blade to shave. The feeling is quite different than having a real straight razor.

Using a shavette is a starting point but I would recommend a straight instead. This item remain good but being on this forum, it's easier to take the leap and grab a straight and strop.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
1.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
1.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
1.00 star(s)
This nice little inexpensive unit CAN give a close shave, but it requires a lot of practice. Not for the faint of heart.
The bulk of the shaving characteristics of this razor depend largely on the insert and blade used, that being said it makes a very versatile razor, and a great travel/gymbag razor. The dovo de blades (regular) have given me the best results, though they are pricey, so i'm giving every other blade in my sampler a good go with it.

Every straight shave should have one of these for the road.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
1.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
1.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
1.00 star(s)
The Dovo Shavette is really a slick little razor and often overlooked (unfortunately!). It's a great introduction to straight shaving, and even provides wonderful shaves for the experienced straight shaver who doesn't mind sacrificing style points for a finely crafted straight in favour of a quick shave with little extra work (stropping, honing, properly drying to avoid rust).

Price: Excellent.

Craftmanship: Nothing like "real" straights, but it gets the job done.

Easy to Sharpen: It's as simple as switching the blades in your favourite DE.

Lasting Edge: Lasts as long as your DE razors, obviously.

Shaving Smoothness: Wonderful. You can customize the sharpness and smoothness to your needs--just pick up out favourite DE blade.

Easy to Maintain: Easier to maintain than my DE.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
1.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
2.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
5.00 star(s)
I have been using my Dovo Stainless Shavette for about a month now. It is a great little shaver but it is not the same as a straight. Every shaver has its own learning curve. I believe that with enough practice, shaving everyday, a person could become just a proficient with the Shavette as one does with a straight. The real difference, is that it has no class, no mystique, no quality feel about it. It is what it is. A cheap razor. I would not recommend it as a transition razor for those want to learn to shave with a straight. If you want to learn how to use a straight, then buy a straight.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
I personally love it because its a great entry for any one looking to start shaving with a straight razor. It's also easy to use and good for people who are just starting out.
Now i know which straight edge razor to give to my dad for Christmas. I like the price and I also like that it uses the same blades as a DE razor, this make it easy to replace the blades i can replace them personna de blades sold at walmart
As a newcomer to the forum as a member but a long-time viewer, I purchased a Dovo Shavette and have been using it daily for about a month. I have been getting exceptional shaves with it. It is light but I don't find that as a disadvantage.

Prior to getting the Dovo I occasionally shaved with an old Weck disposable blade str8 using Persona blades. The Weck Persona combination is noticeably harsher than the Dovo with a 1/2 Feather DE but that is to be expected. I think that most of the troubles that people relate with any of the "shavette style razors" are a result of using bad angles or trying to hurry along. And on occasion you can get a bad blade right out of the box.

Price was good: I bought from Classic Shaving and got the razor in three days after placing the order. They are great and I will continue to buy from them. The Dovo is significantly less than a Feather str8.

Craftsmanship is pretty good. The plastic inserts, in my case the red one, is kind of soft but I think it will hold up well. They are $2.00 to replace so no big deal. It could be made heavier and more substantial feeling though.

Smoothness is totally dependent IMO on the blade used. I have found that relatively expensive Merker blades to be less suitable to my face than Persona cheap blades when used in my Merker Progress DE . As with the Dovo I would suggest trying different blades until you find the right one. As stated earlier 1/2 Feather DE is the way to go for me.

Easy to maintain. Well I wish the blade change out was a little easier, seems like a lot of fiddling to remove and replace a blade. Not a big deal but it can be tricky to do if you're nearsighted like me and trying to look over a pair of glasses to see the little "nubs" in the plastic blade holder. The fit of the blade holder/sleeve is tight and will "break in" I am sure.

I have handled but never shaved with a Feather str8 and they are much more solid in feel and appearance. I would expect that considering the price. The Feather is a great str8 and I will break down and buy one, but for now I am very happy with the Dovo. To some, using anything but a honed and stropped str8 is not real str8 razor shaving. But, I feel that I could most definitely recommend a Dovo Shavette.

Bob
Price
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
3.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)
I own a Shavette w/ the stainless handle, as well as the red and black inserts. I use the black insert w/ the DOVO Shavette blades, they complement each other well.
I've been using str8s for about a month and I get excellent results with the shavette, I hope my technique with the str8s improve and I can match results. Excellent tool for traveling.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)
Hi

I bought a shavette as I was having real problems getting my Dovo 5/8 shave ready. I had just experienced the worlds most painful shave with the 5/8, it was sold as 'Shave Ready' but that was one hell of a misdescription !
My face was bright red,hairs remained all over the place and I looked like a half plucked chicken.

I was advised to get a shavette and a good DE blade. I bought one and used a Tesco blade - these are fantastic blades and I have been using them for the last 8 months every day in my Merkur 38C.If you live in the UK,go and buy ten boxes today, you wont be dissappointed.

The process of putting the blade in the holder wasnt too hard,obviously its not a TTO DE but the principle is sound,and once in place it is held nice and secure.

The razor is light,but its a shavette not a straight 5/8..... they are different bits of kit. It moved about the face ok, and with a light touch gave a great shave. It certainly helped my straight shaving technique and made me even more detrmined to make that 5/8 Dovo shave ready. I have a blue/yellow Belgium and some diamond pastes en route as we speak.

The shavette cleans easy and with a new DE blade each shave I am getting a very sharp edge to shave with. It is small and packs into my gym bag no problems,also if I lose it,it wont be the end of the world,I paid about $40 for it. If it was my 5/8 and I had spent hours making it shave ready then a loss would be far more painful.

In closing, go and get one,have a go,they are good fun and will always come in handy.

Regards.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)
I use the longer blades which fit into the black holder and make the shavette seem very similar to a straight. It's a lot lighter but because it's well balanced it gives good feedback and I find it very natural to use. I'm used to a proper straight and still prefer one to the shavette but it's an excellent razor and is capable of giving a shave every bit as close as a real straight (in the right hands).

Build quality is actually very good - I can understand why it might seem cheap and nasty because the metal is thin and the design simple but that's just the first impression. A little more thought reveals that the design is deliberately simple to keep the weight down and keep the razor balanced. It's not flimsy just not over engineered. I also own a sanguine "Coolcut" and the difference is very marked, the Coolcut is heavier but not nearly as like a straight to shave with and doesn't give you such good feedback.

The plastic blade holder works fine although it doesn't seem as sturdy as the rest of the razor and I suspect will not stand up to wear as well. Still it's not going to break all that easily and new ones are available from online shops at relatively little expensive.

It makes a good travel razor for obvious reasons.

In general then this razor may not be quite the same as a straight but it's a good second and probably as close to a straight as you can get other than the real thing. I strongly recommend using the black holder and the long blades it makes a big difference.

The one thing I really don't like is the little tab of metal that prevents the blade from closing up all the way and damaging the edge. Unfortunately if you're using the long blade (and black holder) this tab makes contact about 3 or 4 mm in from the end and puts a nasty notch in the edge. This isn't a problem with the red blade holder and an ordinary DE blade but it's very poor design, it makes me suspect that whoever designed it never tried a long blade. You can bend the tab backwards so it still prevents the blade closing to far but without notching the blade so it's fixable but I shouldn't have to do this and I think I may have fatigued the metal so that the tab is in danger of breaking off completely.

<update>

The tab did break off (as I thought it might), fixed it by supergluing a little bit of plastic where the tab had been but its **** poor performance. A real shame when in every other way this is a really good piece of kit.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)
I have several Dovo Shavettes and like them. Usually I use either a Merkur Vision or a Feather AC RG "Special" on a regular basis. I like the shave that both give. However I have a chin that takes a lot of extra work. I have the hardest time just getting a smooth shave on my chin from any shaver. I have a large cleft. I use the shavette as a sort of compliment to my other razors. It is nimble and works fairly well around my chin. I am hoping that I will develop better technique with my Vision and my AC but I am not counting on it.

Best,

DaveS
Price
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)
I acquired mine about a month ago as a means to transition from DE to str8 razor shaving.

After I became acclimated with the proper angles and hand positions, I found
that the shavette performed very well.

I plan to use it when I travel, as I have now dove into the world of str8 razors head first.

I will point out that an actual st8 razor is a bit more forgiving than the shavette. That could have been attributed to my technique at the time and the fact that I was using a Feather blade with my shavette.

Regardless, I recommend this to anyone who is curious about str8 shaving or might want something to throw into their Dopp bag instead of a $200 str8 when they travel.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)
Top Bottom