What's new

Dovo Solingen "Best Quality" 6/8

Item Description

I can't believe this razor hasn't been reviewed yet!

This is Dovo's least expensive line of razors at the moment. I have the 6/8 which is about $5 more than the 5/8. For the record I really prefer the 6/8 size over any other size I have shaved with.

This is an appealing looking razor for it's price point. The scales are plastic, but they feel solid and there is a brace that the tang sits on when the razor is closed. The blade itself is fairly plain. The etching isn't anything fancy, and it polishes to a nice shine. All in all, appearance wise it is very utilitarian. It is when it comes to shaving that this razor really shines.

I have owned a Dovo Micarta 5/8 stainless before I acquired this razor, and I loved how my Dovo shaved. It was scary sharp, and all and all it was the best razor I had shaved with. That was until I got a "Best Quality." While this razor may not attain the ultra sharpness of a good stainless blade, it is, far and away the smoothest razor I have ever shaved with. It should be noted that this razor was honed by Lynn...so you must take that into account also.

The smoothness of this razor cannot be overstated. Not only that, but I have found it to be a very forgiving razor. It is quite rare that I nick or cut myself with it. Another plus is this razor truly sings! The full hollow grind and 6/8 blade width make this one of the most vocal razors I have shaved with (especially XTG on the neck!).

All in all the value ($85! Are you kidding me!) for this razor for the quality of shaves it give is unmatched. If you are looking for a good quality beginners razor THIS IS THE ONE.

You will get great shaves from it long after you have acquired "nicer" more high end razors. For me, it is my go to razor.
Reactions: Zig the Pirate

Latest reviews

Pros: a quality cut, long last edge, clean work-up, and convenience.
Cons: none so far.
a well worth first purchase for the beginner shaver, especially if one can find it cheaper. a fine work horse for everyday use and travel.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
3.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Cheap and sharp!
Cons: None
Best beginner blade, at 85.00$ you can't get a better starter straight razor. Came shave ready and keeps the edge.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
5.00 star(s)
Grreat razor for the money. I think if you have a heavy coarse beard I would not recommend it. Otherwise a great shaver. I would say the only thing I didn't like were the scales. Really light and flimsy. That said its a great razor to learn on if your going with the 1/2 hollow. More forgiving with the angles. This razor was the gateway drug for me into straight shaving so proceed with caution!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
3.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
1.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
3.00 star(s)