What's new

Dovo leather shaving gear travel case

For your consideration, the Dovo leather shaving gear travel case. The photo includes several items that do not come with the case. There is an optional strop, but more about that later. In case you were wondering why Packaging was so high, it came in a really nice box. But, the box only got it to my hands. Afterward, it was judged on its own merits. I've had and used this case for several months. Right now, it is no longer a travel case; it is a daily case.

Description: The case looks pretty much like the picture suggests. In short, it is a leather case with a zippered lid. Inside, it is lined with a tartan cloth. There are four elastic bands on the inside of the lid, to hold two razors. The bottom has an open box in the middle, which separates either side. There is an elastic band, on either side, that meet and connect in the center; apparently to hold items down (like in a suitcase).

Quality: To me, the leather felt a bit thin. It was nice, but did not have the luxury I was expecting. The interior cloth, elastic, and such are all nice. In fact, I'd say the interior was very nice, and in keeping with what I was expecting. The zipper was a good, quality zipper that has worked well so far. So far, the case has held up really well and shows little signs of wear.

Design: The loops on the lid work well holding two straight razors. I'm not sure how well they would work on a DE. They were tight at first, but loosened up and are now snug. The box would fit a shaving brush perfectly, but is a little small if your brush is in a container. It might fit a travel brush, but I prefer to bring a standard brush. So, the box in my kit is empty. There is plenty of room for tubes of shaving cream, shallow tubs, aftershave, and such. I have a tube of Musgo cream, Taylor's pre-shave, Rooney 1/1, and Speick. The 2D space is pretty good, but it isn't very deep. I couldn't get a bottle of Proraso in it! But, it will fit shave sticks, and tubes easily enough. If you want to include a strop, you're going to have to get a narrow strop (which Dovo makes specifically for this case).

Overall, its okay but not what I would expect from Dovo. And not at this price. Sadly, a few minor adjustments would make this so much better. Just making it a little deeper would have an amazing effect.

Use: I've used this traveling and at home. It fits easily in a bag (watch out for those TSA size requirements!), and sets nicely on any shelf in the bathroom. Traveling, it protects its contents well. There are supports all around, and I've never had it give in any noticeable way. At home, it holds a good deal of the daily use items, and looks presentable doing it. The leather isn't the highest quality, but it looks pretty good. Leave it open, and the tartan makes it look downright nice.

To Dopp or not to Dopp: This is not a Dopp. It will not hold the slew of items needed for your hygiene kit. It is not made to, either. It will hold your shaving items. Period. It will not go in your shower or bathtub. It will go on your counter, sink, or W/C. So, although it may appear Dopp-like, it is its own beast. I like being able to place my shaving gear in a cabinet or (while traveling) in a bag. I don't care if something happens to my toothbrush. I do care is something happens to my W&B wedge. For this, this case excels.

Price: Classic Shaving has these for $139.99. I got mine as a gift. Especially as a gift from SWMBO, I have no intention of replacing it. I like it. It looks nice, functions well, and has become a fixture for me.

Would I recommend it? For $139.99, probably not. Its nice, but you can get some really nice things for $140. Maybe if they made it a bit deeper, and used nicer leather. But, as is, $140 is stretching it.

As a gift from SWMBO, it is worth every penny. How many girlfriends buy you shaving gear?
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
4.00 star(s)
Usefulness
3.00 star(s)
Performance
3.00 star(s)