What's new

Dovo Ivory Micarta 5/8

Pros: Durability and lasting edge. No-nonsense good-looks
Cons: weighty scales (but you get used to that)
This is my first and only straight and was bought after checking out this review thread. I've been shaving with this alone for the past 2 months and have only stropped gently before and after shaving. Very comfortable on the skin and I always check with a HHT after the post shave strop - just for fun! So far shows no sign of dulling at all so have not tried to hone. Scales were slightly disappointing as they had small dings (from new) where the blade seated between. I rounded them off with fine sand-paper and that improved the whole feel. Also the blade didn't always sit perfectly centrally and could touch one side when folded - maybe the pin/hinge wasn't completely straight?...then it was dropped on a tile floor (not me!) and luckily sustained just a small chip which I also sanded out - and the drop cured the closure problem. So it seems pretty durable. I've no plans to upgrade at all as this razor looks good, feels right without being too ostentatious and does what it is supposed to very well. even in the hands of a beginner.
UPDATE: Dec 2012
OK, have been using this razor––and nothing else––since I purchased it. So here is a 3+ year review.
I still get a close comfortable shave despite having never (yep, never) honed it. I just strop on leather 10-20 strokes before a shave and a very light 10 when I've dried the blade after a shave.
I've settled into a happy routine and I reckon my razor, strop and scuttle have paid for themselves in saved disposable blades by now.
The only thing I would change if I was buying a replacement would be to spend more and get a really slick custom. That way I'd add that satisfying glow you get when using something superlative to my morning shave. However, it's satisfying enough to use this knowing that few people can be bothered to enjoy and connect with the slow traditional things in life.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
5.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
5.00 star(s)
This is the one I carry in my traveling kit. I appreciate the stainless blade and the micarta handle when I have to shave and then pack everything away. I don't worry about it rusting or warping in transit.

Generally I like carbon steel and natural handle materials, but this solidly made stainless razor fills a particular niche well for me.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
3.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
3.00 star(s)
My Dovo #105 is possibly the sharpest razor in the stable, when it comes to just all out being freaky sharp... It yeilds a nice percise shave, however I would not call it my smoothest shaver....
The one thing I remember about this one when I sharpened it, was a very straight forward hone, however to get the most out of this edge, it did require a pasted strop, after that it was almost scary....
And yes it is a beautiful razor :biggrin:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
3.00 star(s)
I purchased mine new and was bitterly disappointed to find it was not shave ready out of the box.I think that it is inexcusable to sell a new product in such an unusable condition. I used a 2000 grit wet and dry paper to establish a bevel and then honed it razor sharp on a coticule and then stropped it smooth. Thankfully I know how to do this but DOVO did not enhance there reputation for quality with me with this razor.

It's quite heavy, beautiful to look at, smooth, holds its edge well (stainless Swedish tempered steel) and it is exceptionally well balanced in the hand. This said it does not give what I would call a close shave and it is not my go to razor. Given the price I paid, it should have been and so in summary, I must say I was disappointed.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
2.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)
I'm curious as to whether you folks will agree with me on this razor. I ordered mine from VintageBlades, as it was hard to find this model. The pictures of it looked beautiful, with the circular swirls etched onto both sides of the blade, and I wondered if it would look as good when I got it. Man...the pictures didn't do this razor full justice. It's beautiful. The Micarta scales are thicker and also rounder than I've been used to, but they yield great purchase and are super comfortable. It features one of Dovo's Ice-Hardened blades, and came fairly sharp. A few passes on the 8000 side of my Norton and a good stropping gave me a first shave that was close and comfortable, and each shave since has been quite excellent. At around $150, it isn't the least-expensive Dovo, but as beautiful as it is, and as proud as I am owning it, it's worth it. To me, this is close to a perfect straight. Great balance, a smooth shave, and beautiful.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)