What's new

Dovo Astrale

I have had one of these for over fifteen years. It is an all around good performer. It holds an edge well. There is good feedback while shaving. This razor has everything you could ask for from a quality razor.

It is not my best razor but it is right up there. It tends to corrode very quickly if not thoroughly dried after use. I let it go for two months one time and the razor was heavily stained and pitting occured.

I would recommend this to somebody as a first razor any day of the week.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
1.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)
This razor has been a pleasure to own. It was my first straight and one that has given me many good shaves. Its a nice 5/8 roundpoint with a full hollow. A set up that would make this a good razor for someone just starting into straights. I got this from a member who had done a good job of honing it but I like the double bevel and had no problem honing it to shave ready as a double bevel. The razor was about $90 new when I got mine. Now I believe they are up over $100. The craftsmanship is good but not great. Its scales and touches like the MOP inlay and gold wash outshine the blade. The blade has a satin finish and the grind was a bit uneven.

Overall, I think this is a good value razor especially for a first razor. However, if you know and trust a member on this site or elsewhere I would recommend buying something less expensive from them over this with its $100 plus price tag and that doesn't include honing.

Price
3.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
3.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)