What's new

Dovo 5/8th's Mammoth Ivory Straight Razor....

Item Description

Well... we all knew it would happen eventually, but I'm sad to say it's here... dovo's build quality has dropped to downright pathetic. I've seen some bad TI's in my day, but it was pretty rare to see/hear of a bad Dovo.... well recently, I've been getting some that have been just plain bad. I figured now was the time to jump in and get the couple of dovo's I really wanted - while quality razors were still possible.... sounds daunting? Maybe over-reacting? Eh - possibly but to save you all a long story I bought a $400 mammoth ivory dovo.... got one with a cracked handle, a radically warped blade (unfit for shaving) and horrid honing-like marks all over the blade. Really.... really a P.O.S. - so I exchanged it..... and what did I get? Well - this next one was a lot better - but still not so great. The blade was scratched up, and there was "pitting" marks in the blade. Quite a dissapointment.

Bottom line.... it's a decent shaver (I personally prefer the much less expensive tortoise handled Dovo Specials) it's handle heavy, the build quality is medeocre, and it isn't NEARLY as nice as a Thiers Issard 1/2 of the price. Sure... it's got a nice Ebony Case.... but seriosuly guys.... steer clear of this sucker.

Yeah.... it's a dovo "singing" razor... BUT - it that saying much.... a TI has a much thinner/finer blade, and *shock* better craftsmanship, whats more - where does a $400 razor get off having a satin finish? Come on now Dovo, thats sad - and to add insult to injury, the satin finish on the $400 mammoths is worse than ANY other dovo I have yet to experience. Why is their top of the line model built the poorest? Shame on Dovo.... seriously.... these razors bring shame to the incredible reputation of solingen blades.

Lesson of the day - don't spend more than $100 on a dovo any longer... well... unless it is the stainless MOP, as those are just beautiful. :biggrin:

Not much to say on this razor... sorry fellas, it just doesn't impress.

Pics, pics, pics!

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Notice the corrosion under/behind the legs of the mammoth?
displayimage.php

Closer....
displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

More pitting, AND look at the scratches/poor honing job - FROM THE FACTORY! These pics were taken prior to this razor touching a hone. Truly shameful....
displayimage.php

Another pic....
displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Flush pins, & cool ivory....
displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Hidden 3rd pin...
displayimage.php

Overall Pic of the razor.....
displayimage.php

Other side.....
displayimage.php

**TO DISCUSS THIS REVIEW, AND/OR ASK QUESTIONS - PLEASE USE THE DISCUSSION THREAD HERE, Thanks!**

Latest reviews

Well... we all knew it would happen eventually, but I'm sad to say it's here... dovo's build quality has dropped to downright pathetic. I've seen some bad TI's in my day, but it was pretty rare to see/hear of a bad Dovo.... well recently, I've been getting some that have been just plain bad. I figured now was the time to jump in and get the couple of dovo's I really wanted - while quality razors were still possible.... sounds daunting? Maybe over-reacting? Eh - possibly but to save you all a long story I bought a $400 mammoth ivory dovo.... got one with a cracked handle, a radically warped blade (unfit for shaving) and horrid honing-like marks all over the blade. Really.... really a P.O.S. - so I exchanged it..... and what did I get? Well - this next one was a lot better - but still not so great. The blade was scratched up, and there was "pitting" marks in the blade. Quite a dissapointment.

Bottom line.... it's a decent shaver (I personally prefer the much less expensive tortoise handled Dovo Specials) it's handle heavy, the build quality is medeocre, and it isn't NEARLY as nice as a Thiers Issard 1/2 of the price. Sure... it's got a nice Ebony Case.... but seriosuly guys.... steer clear of this sucker.

Yeah.... it's a dovo "singing" razor... BUT - it that saying much.... a TI has a much thinner/finer blade, and *shock* better craftsmanship, whats more - where does a $400 razor get off having a satin finish? Come on now Dovo, thats sad - and to add insult to injury, the satin finish on the $400 mammoths is worse than ANY other dovo I have yet to experience. Why is their top of the line model built the poorest? Shame on Dovo.... seriously.... these razors bring shame to the incredible reputation of solingen blades.

Lesson of the day - don't spend more than $100 on a dovo any longer... well... unless it is the stainless MOP, as those are just beautiful. :biggrin:

Not much to say on this razor... sorry fellas, it just doesn't impress.

Pics, pics, pics!

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Notice the corrosion under/behind the legs of the mammoth?
displayimage.php

Closer....
displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

More pitting, AND look at the scratches/poor honing job - FROM THE FACTORY! These pics were taken prior to this razor touching a hone. Truly shameful....
displayimage.php

Another pic....
displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Flush pins, & cool ivory....
displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Hidden 3rd pin...
displayimage.php

Overall Pic of the razor.....
displayimage.php

Other side.....
displayimage.php

**TO DISCUSS THIS REVIEW, AND/OR ASK QUESTIONS - PLEASE USE THE DISCUSSION THREAD HERE, Thanks!**
Price
0.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
2.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)