What's new

Dorco ST-301 Platinum Blades

Pros: A certain kind of sharpness...
Cons: ...which doesn't work for my face.
I've long argued that choosing a DE blade is extremely personal - to the point that I take the gaggle of reviews I read, here and elsewhere, with a necessary pinch of salt. So many guys swear by Feather blades, but try as I might, they don't do it for me - I find them aggressive as hell, no matter my prep nor light touch in use. Really, it's a horses-for-courses thing.

Dorco is another golden example. Lots of people here slag the ST-300 almost six ways to Sunday. Me? They've been my go-to blade going on a decade, with only the no-longer-available (AFAIK) Israeli "no-name" Personnas for an alternate. Many of those trashing the 300 point to the 301 as the better blade, and not by a small margin. I finally managed to snag a pack of them some months back, figuring, hey, if the 300s are so good, these <i>could</i> be better, which of course would be amazing.

Alas, no. As I mentioned in my review of the ST-300, my shave routine is what I call 2-1/2-pass (WTG/ATG for face/neck/chin, XTG for neck only). The kindest thing I can say about the 301 is that it's pretty good WTG, just okay XTG, but extremely dodgy ATG, pulling and nicking worse than I recall Feathers doing. The 300 almost <i>never</i> does this, using either my gold Gillette Aristocrat or my '72 Super Adjustable. (My silver "Brit-ocrat" is a tad rougher, which I chalk up to a more aggressive blade gap than the American 'crat.) I just tried a 301 in the SA one more time (about the 7th time now) to see if there was <i>some</i> way to make the blades behave, but no dice - the nicks were so bad I had to finish up with the gold Aristocrat with an "old" 300 loaded in it.

So...does this mean the ST-301 outright sucks? No. I can see it working for others, and indeed others here have said as much, and I believe them. But the 300 is light-years ahead when it comes to pampering <i>my</i> puss, and that's really all that counts here. And I'm now just into my second box of of ten-packs, so it'll be a while before I have to stock up again. Read the reviews, but grab a sample-pack to be sure. Aloha.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Inexpensive
Cons: short lived
I picked these up at a beauty supply store and the price was outstanding. I hadn't heard many good things, but was pleasantly surprised at the smooth shave. After about three uses I noticed some tugging. I'm a head shaver and it's usually in the back where I notice this most and I actually nicked myself behind my left ear. So I'd say three uses tops, but they are so inexpensive I can't complain.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Cons: Not very sharp
These blades aren't the sharpest nor the smoothest. They are better suited for those with light beards.

Quality control also seems to be a little inconsistent.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
Pros: C H E A P! Easy to find.
Cons: None thus far.
A year in I am revisiting some of the stuff I tried, and gave up on, early in my DE shaving adventure. This was one of the first blades I bought due to price. I had a bit of a problem buying things sight unseen when I first started out. That may work for the Whipped Dog but it doesn't work out too well when you are first starting out. I panned this as an awful blade at that time after discovering Derby blades and went on from there. I bought a pack of these again just to give them a FAIR judgement now that my technique is such that I can do a fair review. I was completely wrong about this blade. I have never, probably never will, used a Feather blade so I will not use that as a comparison. I use Astra and Bluebird blades in all of my razors. The ST-301 compared well with these blades. While not quite as sharp as the birds, it was plenty sharp to do the job. Was a super smooth shaver, right on par with the Astra. One thing I really enjoyed was not having to combat glue spots. This blade made it to 3 shaves and that is all that I require, especially at .10 a pop. Overall it is a very good blade. No irritation, no nicks and very easy on the wallet. Good deal all around.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Packaging
Cons: rough and dull
This is absolutely the worst double edge blade, or shaving product, I've ever used in my life. This is a blade I would give to an enemy.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
0.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
D
Pros: Cheap - $7 for 100 on Amazon
Cons: Everything except the price...
Maybe they work for some, but switching to this from Astra SP's just tore up my neck, and I got my first nick in over a week doing nothing different. As others have noted, the first couple of swipes were pretty good so i was encouraged. However the blade degraded quickly after that and by the end was tugging and pulling and left me with a need to balm my neck 3 times during the evening to kill the burn. Honestly, I hate to waste cash, but I will dump the other 99 in the bin rather than risk sending these junk blades to another member. I would feel terrible if someone else had to experience these the same way I did.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Not too many pros
Cons: Pulls, uneven edge quality, overall poor shave
This garbage makes the Merkur look good, and that is a universally panned blade. I have over 2000 blades and have tried them all, and this one is flat terrible.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Forgivinig, smooth blade
Cons: Not that sharp
Price - Part of a sampler

Quality - The shaves were consistant, but I did find that second shaves were a bit superior to the first and third

Sharpness - Not the sharpest blades, but this is made up for by the smoothness. They are sharp enough

Longevity - I only use them for a week, max four shaves, and they wre fine

Smoothness - Nice shave. It's near impossible to screw this shave up. Well, not impossible - I pulled it off, but it took some effort

Packaging - nice solid plastic case, blade holder in the back, Well made.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Price: One of the cheaper blades around.

Sharpness: Somewhere south of a Crystal/Israeli Personna. I could feel the blade drag, especially against the grain. Would not even attempt any buffing or cleanup with this blade.

Longevity: Average.

Smoothness: Did not feel particularly comfortable while shaving, a couple of unexpected weepers as the blade jumped while trying to cut. In the end, didn't leave me raw, but just wasn't enjoyable.

Packaging: Standard plastic 10-blade package, single wrapped blade with no glue spots.

Cheap, sure, but for me there are better blades for not much more money.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
This blade is sharp and smooth, not a Feather, but sharp enough for me. It has become my everyday blade.

It is very cheap and lasts for 3 shaves, can probably go 4 but why should I take the risk.

It is definitely smoother than its brother the Dorco 300. I have used it in my Parker 22R and in my Gillette Vintage and I get a smooth 3 pass shave every time.

Packaging. I don't get why this is a factor in the ratings but it comes in a nice plastic dispenser.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I just tried the Dorco ST-301 Platinum coated blade.

Paid 1 dollar for 10 blades

Razor is a EJ89L

I really cannot believe the shave was as close and good as it was, with the love it or hate it reviews.

I like this blade alot, it seemed to almost not be sharp as it could be, but gave a really close 2 pass with touch up shave.
Well, I tried this blade once more this morning. This time I stropped it in a Styrofoam packing peanut before loading it into my Weishi.

A once unusable blade was rendered acceptable. I got a DFS though I noticed it was not the smoothest shiv I ever scraped across my face. Neither was it the worst. One surprise for me was that it was noticeably louder as I made my passes. But it did work decently.

I don't believe I'll ever be buying these in bulk but I can use the ones left in this tuck and not toss 'em in the can. And that's a money-saver!
Price: $9 and change per hundred, delivered CONUS, from ebay. Bargain.

Quality: Blades seem quite consistent to me.

Sharpness: Here is the conundrum with these things. If they "click" for you, you will find them perfectly adequate for a two or three pass DFS. If they do not click for you, they will seem as sharp as a butter knife and worthless.

There seems to be little middle ground with these blades. At first I did NOT like them at all in a Merkur 39c - butter knife syndrome. Now, in a Parker 65r, they are heavenly. Maybe they are somewhat razor-specific or something, dunno. But they are definitely love/hate blades.

Longevity: 4-5 shaves for me and done. Good enough at this price.

Smoothness: Even the guys who hate them admit they are uber-smooth.

Packaging: No glue spots!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
D
...unless I run out of Feathers, Iridiums, Astras, etc. There are better blades to be had for only a little more money.

I didn't buy these bulk, but as a sampler selection I put together at WCS. The price was fine, as I remember, though not the cheapest.

For quality, I am going to consider manufacturing competency. The blades are consistent, I found no defective blades yet. I think they are manufactured to precisley the standard Dorco is striving for.

Sharpness is the problem. First shave with one drags quite a bit in my Pils razor. I see no need to use blades that hurt to use them. Dragging correlates directly to sharpness, so this area, I rated poorly.

Longevity is a product of sharpness and steel composition. How long will it keep the edge it started with? I found their rate of dulling to be comparable to any other utility grade of razors. But, it starts out less sharp than I care to tolerate, so I'm not getting three days out of one.

Smoothness of shave. Now, isn't this a paradox? Because even though I have to fight with this blade, I get a smooth shave with no nicks or cuts. I don't think I could ever run up a perfect shave with one of these, though. But, I can sure get a good everyday smooth shave out of them. I just don't care for the pain it takes to get one.

Fine little package. Standard plastic magazine that holds ten blades, easy to use. No glue-weld spots on the wrappers. The packaging protects the blades, while being easy to extract a blade for use. What more can you ask of the packaging? I use a can blade bank, so I don't know how well the plastic magazine works in this regard.

In summary, not may favorite, and I won't buy them again, if I have a choice.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Finished up a DORCO 301 today. Got SEVEN full shaves out of it. The blade was just beginning to catch a little toward the end of the shave so I went ahead and threw it in the bank. Not gonna push my luck. All in all I love these blades. $10 for 100, no skipping, pulling, tugging, etc. I get BBS shaves with two passes and some cleanup. These also work great in all of my different razors; from the super-mild 40's tech to the 64 Super Speed.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
at 10 for $1 these really arent bad blades; i'm able to get bbs with 3 passes and some touchup;

get 3-4 shaves / blade;

used in my super speed, slim and now futur;

good results with all razors;

much better than the personna's i've tried;
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I bought a pack of these today at Sainsbury's (£1.99!!!!), they are their own brand I thought, give them a go, really wish I hadn't now, worst blade I've ever used, think of a blade after 20 shaves, they were so dull they were pulling fresh from the package. I have never changed out a blade during a shave, this got 4 strokes and got changed out, only blade ever! It tore my face up something chronic. I shall be writing to Sainsbury's to complain as their own brands are always good, but they fell short this time. I had to go N/A on longevity as the blade has been binned immediately, I wouldn't even use this blade to shave my fly's wings.

Tom
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
0.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
Of the several cheap blades I've tried, this is by far the best. I paid $10.99 for 100 after shipping.

The shaving sensation is a bit odd. When I do my first pass, it feels like the blade is skipping or vibrating if I just drag it lightly as I do with most blades. It feels almost like the end of the blade is flexing a little bit. If I apply a little bit of pressure, the first pass goes better and I don't find myself nicking myself or getting razor burn.

As absurd as this may sound, I wonder if they have a really high chromium content compared to other blades.

With 3-4 passes, I get a very smooth shave and have yet to nick myself with these blades. I really like these blades for shaving under my nose, as that's an area where I tend to nick myself or get razor burn.

For the price, these blades are great.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
Threw them out!
The Dorks are an inexpensive blade, but beat the pants off the blades I picked up at Walmart. Only good for about three-four shaves on my average beard, two passes a day. I did not have any cuts, but did have a bit of drag with them. The shaves, however, were really pretty close. Since I am not a perfectionist these gave a good enough shave that at the price, I will be using them. I did not find them any harsher than most other blades, but the verdict is out on whether I will order another 100. I have some Sharks and Astras to try. I sent some to a friend and my brother to try. Packaging is quite good with 10 blades to the little plastic box with a place to the used blades.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)