What's new

DORCO ST 300 Stainless blades

I found these rough, uncomfortable and far too aggressive in my HD. One of my worst blade experiences to date. Perhaps I should give them another go dialled down in my Progress. I have known blades that perform poorly in the HD to behave rather better in an adjustable. Right now, though, it's not one I could recommend.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
These are by far the worst blades I have used while working my way through WCS sampler pack. I think these blades are made for people without coarse hair like asians which must be why they come from korea. They just can not get me a close shave unless I dial up my adjustable then the irritation starts. I really wanted to like these blades because of the price. Luckily there is an ebay seller who sells the Dorco ST 301's for about the same price which work beautifully.

To sum it up - If you have coarse hair stay away from these and go for the 301's or IP / Derby / anything sharper and smoother.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
The Dorco is my main blade. Why? no irritation. It's a smooth blade, not super sharp, but forgiving and with good prep consistently delivers BBS quality irritation free shaves.

On the down side, if you have a very tough beard this blade will tug. I find it works better in adjustables where you can dial up the aggresiveness of the razor. When I use a Dorco in my old Superspeeds or Weishi, I get very 'meh' shaves. Drop it in my Krona, Futur or Progress and I go to town.
This was the first blade in a sampler pack that I used. It's no where near as sharp as a Derby or a Red IP. I can get a good shave with them but it requires more passes. To me, they feel dull. I end up putting a bit of pressure on my razor to get a nice shave.

BUT! If you're just starting out withe DE shaving, you may want to get a pack of these. For the beginner, they are very forgiving and when making the move from a multi blade razor, these are a nice blade to transition with. You can develop your technique without hacking up your face.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
When trying my DORCO DE blades I discovered they are indeed sharp enough for a good close shave. I got a couple of very teeny tiny nicks. I'll need to shave different with little or no DE razor pressure compared to other DE razor blades.
I shave three passes every day - WTG, then twice XTG in different directions. I use Proraso pre-shave and soak with a hot washcloth for a few minutes. I'm using Mitchell's Woolfat soap. They are sharp enough to shave with, but on the third day they are already ripping my whiskers out instead of cutting them. I'm not impressed at all - won't be buying these again. FWIW, I have tried Merkur, Crystal, Personna, Feather and Gillette as well, so my comparisons and experiences are based off those. These are the sub-standard of the blades I have tried so far.

Austin
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
This is one of my favorite cheap blades. It does a good job. I especially love to use it to give my face a rest after several overly aggressive shaves. Nice blade, simple packaging, low price. What is not to like?
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I've got tough whiskers and these blades were not sharp enough properly cut them... or even as good as some of the mid-ranges that still aren't really sharp enough.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Been blasting through the WCS sampler (a magnificent idea well executed, btw) and the Dorcos are my last batch before hitting the knee-quaking Feathers (can't wait!).

I'm a heavy-bearded guy who shaves with creams exclusively (for now) -- in order of frquency, Musgo Real, TOBS Eton Collge, Proraso, Nancy Boy -- but I switch them up frequently. Load all blades into a trusty Merkur HD, which I love.

I'm dissapointed in the Dorco blades, even at the sweet price. I haven't experienced many nicks or cuts but I get a huge amount of pulling. It's not smooth, nor particularly sharp. I absolutely have to go three passes WTG, XTG and ATG to get an accpetable shave. None of the other blades I've tried thus far have required so much work. As a back up blade in a pinch, sure I'd use it, but I wouldn't buy them again.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
My Beard type: Coarse, medium-low density, stubborn thick grain.

I find these blades work great in an aggressive or medium aggressive razor. They are believed to be the Korean version of Feather. These blades are still very sharp, they just need to be used in a razor with a bigger gap. They smooth out after 2 shaves.

Definitely avoid using them at a steep angle. I say over-all this is an excellent blade. Very sharp, and work smoothly with a cream. Technique is everything. YMMV.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
These Dorco blades give me a rough, uncomfortable shave. I tried them in a Merkur Heavy Duty and a Gilette Super Speed. They work a little better in the Super Speed, but both are unpleasant. I didn't bother finishing the package.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
I found these blades to be dull and next to useless tackling my beard,even in an aggressive razor.I'd rather shave with a Fusion than these face scrapers.They must be made for college boys with candy floss bum-fluff beards.
I was wondering why West Coast Shaving listed these as the first to try in their sampler pack. Now I know. I put one in my ball end Tech and tried it for a couple days and I'm glad I did. No, it's not my favorite blade but it did satisfy my curiosity.

It's a smooth blade. There is little or no tugging or pulling when using it. Combined with the mild Tech, you may as well not have a blade in. But it's difficult for me to get a BBS shave out of one. And that's OK, as long as you know that's what you're going to get - a mild and comfortable, if not perfect, shave.

Price on these guys is stupidly cheap - you could use a new one every day, I think. But that would be wasteful. Packaging is fine. I prefer cardboard to plastic, since cardboard is cheaper and easy to recycle. You get 10 blades to a pack that looks like it would hold 5, so the packing is efficient!

Definitely recommended, especially if you are starting or if you have a beat up face from another blade. I think you'd really have to work at it to hurt yourself with these blades.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
I really like these little Korean babies.

Price: I think they are almost as good as Merkurs for a fraction of the price.

Quality: Every once in a while you come across a bad one but generally I haven't had too much of a problem.

Sharpness: To me, these are every bit as sharp as Merkurs.

Longevity: I get about three days out of these. That's a two pass shave each day.

Smoothness of Shave: If you keep it to three days of use, they shave is just as smooth as Merkur.

Packaging: These don't have the best packaging. The little cardboard box leaves something to be desire.

Definitely give them a try.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
On the sharpness spectrum, I'd rate these as duller than Merkurs and not even in the same universe as Derbys (much less Feathers). I had to do a great deal more touch up with these than I do with my current favorite, Derby. For me, smoothness can be the upside to a relatively dull blade. I found this to be true for Merkurs (which many on this forum seem to hate). For this face, at least, Dorcos were neither sharp nor smooth.
After using these Korean blades, I can say that they are worth the cost. Not the sharpest or smoothest, but they do the job pretty well.

I would take them over Merkurs anyday of the week :)

Again, a solid blade for the price.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
While I don't use them any longer, as they have disappeared from the supermarket shelves where I used to buy them, I still remember them fondly.

These blades were among the early DE blades that I tried when I decided that I had enough of Trac II and Sensor system razors. And even while I was learning to use DE razors again, Dorco performed very well; I got consistently smooth, close shaves, more comfortable than Swedish Gillettes, and could use a blade up to a week.

I probably would have continued using them, if supplies hadn't dried up. As it was, I found Derbys gave me similar shaves at a lesser price and Feathers are the smoothest, closest and more comfortable shave I have found. Well, Feathers are hard to beat, even if they are slightly more expensive than other brands.

But if Dorcos would show up on my supermarket shelves again, my choice would be easy.

Good blade, pleasant experience.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
hey all.

just finished a shave with the 300s, courtesy of a WCS sampler pack.

Verdict: bleh.

I REALLY want to like these, as they're the best deal going at the moment. Alas, I don't think they quite measure up.

They're reasonably but not very sharp, but not terribly smooth either - i find them a bit skippy/pully across my face.

Couldn't get BBS with multiple passes, and really didn't like to go ATG. However, the nastiness was mild - no razor-burn or nicks even tho I was going at my face pretty hard.

As for packaging, they seem to have stopped double-wrapping their blades, so the blades aren't airtight by any means, even in the box. So, prolly means they wouldn't keep well in the bathroom.

Conclusion - duller than Merkurs but much more forgiving. Not as smooth or sharp as US personnas, tho, which is my blade of choice at the moment.

Edit: Had 2nd shave with this blade. More strange-meh. Much of the roughness has done, but there is still a dullish-pully feeling to the blade. Had to buff parts of my face to get a close shave - not terribly good to have to do that on a regular basis.

Edit again: Attempted 3rd shave with the blade. It did... nothing, just glided around on top of the facewhiskers. tossed it to try a different make mid-shave. it's pants to me if I can't even get 3 shaves out of it - that's not quality at all.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
I just got my hands on these and I am fairly impressed. They are as sharp as promised but still are forgiving on the face. And while they do not provide a BBS they do provide a more than serviceable shave at a very reasonable price. It is easy to keep these in stock when they are $8/100 blades. Into the rotation they go...
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
All:
I was able to try this blade by way of a generous offer from tmcmcn a few weeks ago. Wow:w00t: these blades give me BBS every time and last at least a week in my HD. This easily replaces the previous favorite IP's which gave me a similar shave but only lasted about 3 days before the shave started going south. Price for 100 on Ebay is less than $10, and given their longevity that should last me a couple of years! I waited to post this review because I thought the first blade was a fluke, then I tried the second and still couldn't believe it. Now I'm on my 3rd and I'm sold...at least until I get curious to try some more brands (is there such a thing as razor blade acquisition disorder:blushing:
Greg
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave