What's new

Dorco Special PL-2000 safety razor

proxy.php

I received this razor for free but it is moderately priced anyway.

First Impression:
The razor comes in a plastic case with two Dorco ST300 blades. While the case is a nice touch, the cover pops off very easily, allowing your razor and blades to fall right out during travel. The case is not worth it.

Once I remove the razor from the case, the first thing I notice is the unbalanced weight. Due to the style of the razor, most of the weight lies in the razor's head. Normally, this would be an issue for a heavier razor. However, this razor is so light, it probably won't make much of a difference to you.

proxy.php

Printed on the underside of the razor head is Dorco Special. Examining the razor more closely, I notice a bunch of marks and dents on the razor's head. This may have happened during transit but this is not acceptable for a new razor purchase. From what I can tell, the metal is a very soft metal. It feels and looks cheap. That could explain why a new razor could be so easily scuffed and dented.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

This razor is a TTO. To install the blade, you have to turn the knob attached to the razor's head. It's not difficult to do but the knob did feel flimsy and gave the impression it would break easily.

proxy.php

Actual Use:
Even with all the previous concerns, this razor pontentially could have been a cheap option for a newbie. Perhaps it could have been something to use as a PIF razor. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be.

This has to be the worst performing razor ever. It certainly makes the short list. This is not an exaggeration. The blade exposure on this razor is nonexistent. I tried to shave with it from every angle. All I did was rub my beard with the razor's head and push my lather back and forth. It doesn't cut. I had to finish my shave with a Merkur Slant; and that's if by finish you mean I had actually started shaving when I tried to use this razor.

Since it's plastic, the handle was very slippery when my hand was wet. There was no grip. Of course, since the razor doesn't cut, I was in no danger. :rolleyes:

Conclusion:
Don't buy it. Don't even try it. I wouldn't normally make such a blanket recommendation but there is no middle ground on this one. You'll only get frustrated. There's no need to keep the women and children away from this beast. I understand the razor is cheap but to not even cut?! :confused: Well, that makes this Dorco razor the most useless razor I have attempted to use. :mad:
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
0.00 star(s)