What's new

Dominica Bay Rum

This is the first bay rum I ever used, and it's what I think of first when I hear the words "bay rum". Due to the nature of the product, it scores lower than it performs. It's not cooling - it doesn't have menthol. It doesn't moisturize, but it's not terribly drying, either. It's alcohol-based, so the burn is definitely there.

However, it's one of the best smelling bay rums, period. Leathery, spicy, resiny, just a fantastic aroma, not overloaded with clove. Decent staying power, too. I love the stuff, though I wish it were still packaged in the bottle with the cork stopper.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I wont be without a bottle of this either. This is my favorite AS....hands down. The smell and performance is top notch. :thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I picked up the Dominica Bay Rum and Bay Rum with Limes last week at the Orvis store in NYC. I have tried the Bay Rum now a few times, both as an aftershave and as a cologne splash/skin toner. As an aftershave it works pretty well, but I have found the alcohol burn to be pretty bad (it is 55% alcohol). However, after a couple of seconds it subsides and my skin feels pretty good after using it. In terms of the scent, smelling it in the bottle and when first applied on my skin, I definitely did not like it, however when it dries down (after a few seconds really) it smells great, what I envision a classic bay rum to smell like (full disclosure: the only other Bay Rum I have used is Pinaud). However, I definitely echo the comments above around longevity-It does not last at all on my skin, no more than a few minutes, which is a shame because I really like the scent. I have yet to try the Bay Rum with Limes but that will be next-
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
Out of curiosity I ordered a bottle of Dominica Bay Rum with Limes aftershave and tried it out for the first time this morning.

It has a different smell, the initial Bay Rum subsides and the citrus scent remains. I like it, sometimes you need subtle.

As an aftershave Dominica BRL stings less than Old Spice and I find my skin to be even smoother than with other AS or ASBs. I don't have that sort of greasy feeling I get with some AS product and I like the fact its made with natural ingredients.

To conclude, you can't go wrong with Dominical BRL and the price is right too. :thumbup1:
First Bay rum experience and what a great one. Nice warm smell, but very fresh and invigorating. It burns without question, but it is alcohol based, of course its gonna burn. The smell makes up for it ten fold. The only problem with Dominica bay rum is it doesn't last. Maybe splash on finish getting ready for work and by the time i'm in the car its gone. Waiting to compare to Ogallala bay rum.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I have only tried clubman and Dominica bay rums, but I have to say Dominca smells really nice and authentic. I love the cinnamon and clove smell, the clove smell I believe is from the bay leaf. It also smells a little "woody" to me, which I also enjoy. The price compared to many other premium bay rums seems to be the best deal, so it looks like this brand is a keeper. Wish it came in that cool cork bottle though, maybe the corks were breaking off?
If you like Bay Rum you'll like this, it doesn't have any subtlety or finesse you get Bay Rum more Bay Rum and nothing but Bay Rum. Seems overpowering when first applied but dies down quickly to a more subdued level. Unfortunately not particularly long lasting, generally there's very little scent left after 4 hours but if you shave before going out for the evening (like I do) it'll last the night nicely. No surprise that some don't like the scent, it's a bit different - classic style for those with real taste.

Doesn't burn to bad when applied and has a soothing effect - it makes my skin feel smooth and fresh.

Highly recommended, the only negative: I wish they'd stuck with the old bottle the new bottle with a plastic cap doesn't fit with the old world style like the cork topped bottle.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Great stuff! I'll never be without a bottle of this. I personally find it to have a great scent and my wife appreciates a bay rum not loaded up with clove smell (which she hates). Makes my face feel great and is refreshing. I have sensitive skin and this is a aftershave that poses no problem whatsoever.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I love the scent and use the product in a number of ways. Certainly as an aftershave - usually diluting it a bit with water. I also use it straight from the bottle as a body spash - especially in summer.

Anytime of the year I will follow washing my face with a cotton square of Dominica Bay Rum. It seems to deep clean and leaves my skin quite stimulated. I'll follow with a moisturizer - the Proraso ASB works nicely and complements the smell.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I bought a bottle at Restoration Hardward a year or so ago. For some reason I seem to use it mostly on Saturday. I like the smell. I usually use either some aloe vera lotion or Corn Huskers as a balm and then splash some on. It does not last long, and for me that is really the only down side to it.
Smell: lousy, not to mention fleeting...lasts all of 5 minutes

Bottle: makes a mess when you use it....pour spout way too big, plugging it up with your thumb just makes a mess.

Moisturzing: absolutely none....no glycerin. dries me out. Not sure if there is any bay oil in here at all either.

I disliked this so much, I dumped a bottle of this down to the drain, to keep the bottle for another use...but it sat there unused taking up space, so I chucked the bottle too.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
I really like the stuff. It is no nonsense. It closes the pores and refreshes the skin with the best of them and in most cases, better than most. The price is good and I really like the old style bottle. If I had a complaint, it would be, as with all decent bay rums, the scent fades quickly. That might be a plus for some, me included sometimes. But a good bay rum scent that lightly hangs around is nice. Other than that, you could do much worse.

John
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I like this stuff as well. My skin loves it. I've used it for years, the lime version is especially nice. I mostly wear it in spring and summer but every now and then during winter I want a reminder of the summer months to come. What else is nice to like is that this stuff seems to be pretty pure - straight Bay Rum and distilled alcohol. Even us with sensitive skin can appreciate that.

Chris
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I love this stuff. I've been using it on and off for years. In fact, I think I got back into DE shaving while looking for a new source for Dominica -- and my search led me to classicshaving! The scent is very basic -- no added spices like Pinaud -- and very natural. I use it as both an aftershave, and also as an evening splash before going out. Good stuff.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
displayimage.php

displayimage.php

If you're a bay rum fan - start your engines fellas, as this is a really, really nice, inexpensive treat for bay rum fans. This aftershave comes in an old school bottle, sealed with a cork (although I hear the new bottles are more like old soda pop bottles) which really adds to a fun/neat experience.

As all alcohol based splashes go, this will have a bit of a "sting" to it, however I feel it is quite manageable, and is not in the least bit offensive, painful, or unreasonable - YMMV.

As I had mentioned earlier - it is sealed VIA a cork, so the opening of the bottle is quite large... which you'd expect to be a hindrance for a splash on aftershave - however when you use the recommended method below (see pic) it works surprisingly well, and I actually prefer it to ANY other splash top I have tried...
displayimage.php

Another neat thing about this product is the little info booklet that comes with it...
displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Front and back of bottle....
displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Overall, this is really a neat product for $13 and I feel provides a superb value. Just make sure you're a bay rum fan though! :thumbup:

TO DISCUSS THIS REVIEW WITHOUT POSTING A REVIEW - PLEASE USE THIS THREAD

:smile:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)