What's new

Dollar General DE blades

Pros: None in particular
Cons: None in particular
For me these blades need to be used in the proper shaver. I used then in my Lord (Merkur Style head) and they were terrible. Used them in my 1968 Knack and 1940 Tech Fat handle and they were fine. It seems that the more aggressive the shaver the worse the shave. The less blade exposure the better for these babies. I do get about 5 shaves out of each blade. At 20 cents per blade that is no real bargain however. I'll stick with my Personna blue labels at 13 cents a blade. I get at least a week of shaves out of them. These are just OK. My pack said Made in Korea so they may possibly be Dorcos.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
Pros: Israeli Personas if they have the tag on the back
Cons: Hard to find the better import
If you find the "all white" blade holder, look on the back of the card. If it says "Blades made in Israel" you have a real winner. Else they are the same old same ol Korean made blade. They give great shaves and smooth and for only a buck for 5 blades!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Locally available
Cons: Did they sharpen these things?
These are the worst blades I have used up to this point. The good news is that there is another option when I have need to buy blades locally (Wal-mart). They were rough and not sharp on the first pass, used a 1961 vintage Tech and a predate code SS. Second pass was not as rough but still not sharp. Pass these by.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
0.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
No better and no worse than the Walgreens Personnas I have. Price isn't terrible, but isn't fantastic either. They work great for shaving my head.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I tried these based on seeing them on a forum and was pleasantly surprised. ten for a dollar in a heavy but plain plastic carrier. I found them sharp and kind of thick, not a bad deal at all.
there are some sold that are made in Israel, but not lately, they are much much better.
These blades aren't as bad as the Dorco 300 & 301, but they're pretty darned close. I won't say that I can get a better shave from a butter knife, because that would be a bit of hyperbole. However, they do leave a tremendous lot to be desired. I normally have to do three or four passes when using Dollar General to get the same effect with two passes from most other brands.

On the positive, at least they haven't caused any irritation, nicks, etc.

David
Top Bottom