What's new

Diptyque Philosykos

A very nice, clean and simple scent. The fig and woods fragrance are very nice. My only complaint is it's staying power on my skin. I'm lucky if it lasts three hours.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Complexity
1.00 star(s)
Staying Power
2.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
A lovely fragrance that would go wonderfully on the seaside and also could be worn anywere. there is a coconut fig presentation but it's not overly sweet or too prominant, it comes across smooth and refreshing with depth, very nice.:thumbup1:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
Top note Fig leaf
Middle note Fig
Base note White cedar.

An obvious fig scent appears right away and it's different than Hermes Un Jardin en Mediterranee (which smells more like a fig garden or produce section of a grocery store) but similar enough to compare. This smells less like a garden and more like a forest floor. Some of it smells a little like if you smelled the skin of a fig and wet leaves on a forest bush if you smell very closely. The sillage is not as good as Hermes and the longevity is not either. If you find Hermes too much than this one would be the keeper since you can apply more as needed otherwise stick with Hermes which I find more magical and for the price you will get more out of it.

Just a note. These fig fragrances are easily the most realistic "forest green" scents I've smelled so far. This smells more like a green valley than green valley. :lol:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I recently got a large decant of Philosykos from a friend who wanted me to see what I thought of it. He, personally, hated it and said it smelled like suntan lotion. This didn't really excite me, because I had recently smelled Creed Virgin Island Water and knew right off that I was NOT a huge fan of coconut in personal fragrances. I LIKE coconut, but I think I prefer eating/drinking it, than wearing it. So similarly, when I was told that this was a fig/coconut fusion, I expected to smell like those dried figs rolled in coconut I get at the health food store. Very delicious, but not something I'd want to wear. I'm not a big fan of sweet scents.

Diptyque Philosykos opens with a green blast, smelling very much like slightly UNDERripe figs. As it dries down and mellows a bit, there is a VERY slight coconut sweetness that complements the green fig. Other than those two scents, the only other detectable fragrance is a very faint woody base that makes itself evident after an hour so. Otherwise, the scent is very simplistic in that it is a fresh, green fig fragrance with a slight coconut edge. The sillage is decent for the first hour or so, but after that, it fades to only being detectable when someone is right up on your skin.

I, personally, found the fragrance quite enjoyable. Worthy of buying a full bottle to wear. One of my co-workers has a degree in horticulture, and asked I walked past, she said "Oh my Gosh, Saxifrage, come back here." She took a whiff and said "That's fig! That's really nice! What in the world IS that?"

I've read a bit about this fragrance and I've seen people say they find it too "heavy" for true summer wear. On my skin, it is always very light, and unfortunately, after about 4 hours, it was almost undetectable on my skin. Or so I thought. One day I put on a hearty portion of Philosykos in the morning before I went to work. I wanted to make sure it would last through lunch, and by putting on a liberal amount, it did. However, by 2 PM or so, it was fairly gone. Or so I thought. That evening, I went straight from work to the park where I did an evening run. It was still rather hot and humid out, and I started to sweat. Philosykos came ALIVE on me when I began to sweat. It was as if I had freshly applied it all over again, and interestingly enough, the sweat gave it an even sweeter, earthier tone (I'm sure it was really working the basenotes by then). I still didn't find it cloying, and I rather enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it was "heavy" at all.

All in all, I find this to be an enjoyable scent. I did end up purchasing a full bottle. It's very unique and truly unisex.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I love to find scents that are unusual to be found on men nowadays. Who wants to smell like another version of CK One? :wink: Philosykos is deliciously different, and quite straightforward. It is a fig scent - rich, sweet, green figs bursting with scent and flavor. There is not much to distract you from that scent, and it is quite linear. This is labeled as a unisex scent, and I could see a woman wearing it easily, but I think on a man it comes across very nicely. I picture this one best on a warm day, where little clothes are worn, and lust is in the air.

If I had one complaint, it would be that its lasting power is quite short, and you need to apply a healthy amount if you want it to stick around for a while. Or, get someone to get really close to you to enjoy the scent. :wink:

Definitely not a run of the mill men's scent, but one worth trying nonetheless. It is a bit on the pricey side, and given it is unusual, I would seek out a sample or decant before splurging on a bottle blind.

If you would like to comment on this review, please direct your attention HERE. Comments posted without numerical reviews will be deleted.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)