What's new

Diogenes Club Shaving Soap

I love this scent.

Like all MB's soaps, This one works excellently for me. Lather is superb,and the scent is out of this world. The bergamot and tobacco are most prominent at first whiff, when the hot water hits the puck the scents of black pepper and a faint whiff of vanilla evolve. There is another fragrance I can't quite identify, a floral of some kind I think.

The lather is thick, but not as thick as some of her others (Marauders Citrus). It cushions well and very lubricating but tends to fade a little quick. But that let's me get a fresh warm slather of the fragrance.

The result of all this is now I want her to make a EdT to go along with it.

I will use this sparingly until gone simply to enjoy the fragrance. It is the same response I have had to QED's Wild Rose and SCS's Bulgarian Rose.

:thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Have used this for my last three shaves. The scent for this one is terrific...definitely strong on the bergamot in the tub, but with a really deep sniff I can pick out a nice, solid tobacco note deep in there (almost specific enough note that one could name the blend). There is a black pepper scent that sort of masks/carries the tobacco, which also cuts the sharpness of the bergamot (so it's not too sweet).

My wife remarked that the soap i9n the tub smells just like earl gray tea (the bergamot)...but she thinks the tobacco/pepper note makes it even more tea-ish.

When lathered I found the scent to actually decrease a bit...or at least shift. Smells almost like Tabac with a citrus note at first rather than floral...but this quickly fades to a talcish combination. reminds me of clubman talc...it is not exactly that by any means, but there is a similarity (a nice one, IMHO).

This lathered very well for me, no drying issues. Also, it hasn't upset my ever-so-sensitive face either. All in all, a great soap!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I have accepted the honor of reviewing the new soap from Mama Bear called the Diogenes Club group buy. While not long in the shaving world, I am the sort of person who has been able to track my mother-in-laws whereabouts strickly through scent so i feel somewhat qualified :) Please excuse any stumbling in terminology and floundering in adjectives. Smells are hard to explain!
Disqualifiers aside, lets begin. I have not been exposed to the original soap this is supposed to match so I can make no comparisons there. Upon opening the top one is hit with a very smooth and appealing mix of citrus and pepper. The citrus gives it a fruity almost flowerlike sweetness which is tempered by the heavier pepper and tobacco, bringing it down on a pleasing male note.:001_wub: It struck me very like the black code as it is a cologne-like flavor. However the pepper is much less sneeze inspiring and blends deliciously into the bergamont. The pour is a lovely golden color which lathers well and coats the brush nicely. I did notice that the lather was heavy but dry, meaning when I shaved it held less water and dried on my leg necessitating a second swipe. The scent blends down well and becomes nicely individualized on the skin lasting well into the night. I could still smell it on Tinzien 8 hours later but it was a nice lowkey smell pleasing to everyone.:drool: This is the sort of shave that will give you a whiff of mm while not offending anyone in the elevator or being particularly distinctive.:biggrin: It does have the pleasant side effect of drawing those you love close to get a teaser. Something I think that would go nicely in a regular rotation as a lovely add on for a summer day.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)