What's new

Derby Normal

I received a tube as a free sample with Derby blades. Feels like any cheap canned product out there so nothing special, but this tube could be nice on trips.

I have a little bit irritation and burn in my skin with this product, but I have very sensitive skin because of allergy. Not going to buy one of these when the tube runs out.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
I received the Derby Lemon and Normal creams from the Derby Exclusive promotion here on B&B. I've used the Lemon and Normal a number of times and find them to be decent. Not great, but decent. Based purely on the price, you get more than you pay for. It's not up to the quality of say the 3T's, but what can you expect for a few bucks. It lathers fine and provides a slick shave with a moderate amount of cushion. I have not yet had a nick or any irritation from either cream. The Normal scent is nothing special, yet nothing offensive either. It's a clean, somewhat medicinal smell, and I don't mind it. For the price and using a tube, I think it's fine. I prefer these plastic tubes over the foil/metal kind.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
This is one of the two free creams that I received from the exclusive Badger & Blade promotion that Derby did here. It came in the mail an hour ago and had to try it out. As luck would have it, I had not shaved yet today so I didn't have to wait to see what this new product is like.

I decided that both creams "felt" alike when I opened the tubes, so I decided to do a half-and-half shave with the Normal scent on the left side of my face and the Lavender on the right. Both creams performed the same.

Opening the tubes was a little bit troublesome because of the foil seal on the end of the tube. While the foil pealed off easily enough, the plastic liner on the underside stayed attached to the tube, sealing it. A pen knife fix that easily enough. (It seems to that product manufacturers never test opening up their packaging.)

I squirted a generous one inch "snurdle" of cream into my lathering mug and got to work. With little effort I was able to whip up a decent lather that felt slick to the touch. The scent of the Normal cream was very faint, and probably similar to what you might find in some of the canned products that you find everywhere.

To be fair, I popped one of the Derby blades into my Gillette Long Boy adjustable (set on 5) and proceeded to shave. The cream performed as I expected, not the highest top notch quality, but acceptable. Some high end creams leave a layer of slickness on the skin when the blade passes over, this one did not. It came off pretty clean. And rinsed clean easily enough.

Based on scent alone, I probably won't buy more of the Normal. I will probably keep at least one of the other scents in my rotation. it was after all, a decent shave. These Derby creams will be useful for traveling and not have to worry about loss, they are cheap enough.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)