What's new

Derby Extra - DE Razor Blades

Pros: Cost effective and utilitarian
Cons: Maybe not the best for very coarse hairs
This is a very utilitarian blade. It doesn't seem super sharp OR it doesn't cut very coarse hairs very well.I would recommend these for any beginner as they are comfortable blades and, seemingly, forgiving.I wouldn't give this any kind of normal recommendation BUT I would recommend it for a beginner. I'm also happy to use them whenever.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharp, Smooth, Cheap
Price Great $8.00 for 100 blades! Quality A close and comfortable shave, I really like them. Sharpness I think it is plenty sharp. YMMV Longevity I get 5-8 shaves out of blade. Smoothness of Shave I always get a very close and smooth shave. Packaging Who cares
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Smooth Shave, Reasonably Priced and Widely Available
Cons: none so far
This is my first experience with the Derby's. So far I've had 3 shaves. Each of the three was out of a different razor. The first was a 56 flare SS. The shave was decent, not BBS, but good enough to pass a military inspection I believe. My one complaint was the amount of weepers I got on my neck and uper lip. It was smooth and no pulling whatsoever. The second shave was in a 56 blue tip and it also delivered a passable shave, again not BBS but good enough. This time I only had two weepers, both on my neck. Tonight was the third shave in a 40's SS. This time I had weepers everywhere!!! I don't know, it could be my technique, I really don't think it is though. However, weepers aside, this is a comfortable shaving blade that is certainly sharp enough. Price seems reasonable from what I've seen, got these in a WCS sampler. The quality of the blades seems excellent, nice and shiney. Longevity is not an issue thus far, 3 shaves in and still feels as good as it did on the third. I have an average beard I guess, no Grizzly Adams action or anything. I've seen a lot of folks on here complain about a lack of blade storage on the blade container. It has one on the pack I got. It was on the bottom and barring you don't want to use that, it does have a flip down door with a divided compartment. Old blades on bottom, new ones on top. So barring a little blood I've had a good experience with these so far. I'm going to soldier on and see if I can nail down these weepers and make these the "ones".Update: Got a handle on the weepers. I just ordered 100 of these if that tells you anything! Great, cheap product!!!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: sharper than anything I'd tried before
Cons: rough, pulled and tugged from the start, difficult to get more than 2 shaves out of it
I'm sure there are worse blades out there, but I can't imagine that I will find them soon.

Price: I can't really comment on this, as it came in a large sampler package - I gave it a 7 so as to be something fairly neutral.

Quality: From blade to blade, I found some differences, but generally consistent. Unfortunately, it was consistently mediocre. I could pull off a good second shave, but the first was never good and third and fourths were a crapshoot.

Sharpness: The blade was sharper than anything else I ave tried. Of course, it was my second blade (a TopCare Personna being the first).

Smoothness: Tugging, pulling, etc. Unaccpetable.

Packaging: Better than a cardboard box, less waste than if it had a blister pack around it; the used blade slot isn't easily accessed on the back (I didn't even know about it until I saw the photo in the first review).
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
Great all round blade that I would recommend for everyone to try!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: quality, smoothness
Derby Extra Super Stainless double-edge razor blades

Price: n/a (purchased as part of a sample pack)

Quality: Consistent bevels and edges. Chromium-ceramic and platinum-tungsten-polymer coatings.

Sharpness: Third tier for sharpness.

Longevity: Lasts 3-4 days.

Smoothness of Shave: These blades give a smooth shave, perhaps due in part to the coatings and the grind quality.

Packaging: Plastic box of 5; no slot for used blades. Single-wrapped with small amount of glue.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I know that they are cheap compared to other blades, but had to rate the price poorly since I would not even recommend these if they were free. Seriously, there are so many good blades out there, why bother with these. They are sharp, but sharp like a bread knife - not smooth. Often the Derby supporters will say that the rest of us got a bad batch. I think all Derbys are a bad batch. But, fine, if my two different purchases from different recognized vendors were bad batches - then why would I risk buying another bad batch?

Instead, try any Personna, Merkur, Feather, Gillette, Astra, Wilkinson or Iridium etc. Derby is the only brand of blade that I have found is not worth PIFing.

YMMV (I guess...)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
These blades won out for me in a blind test.

I could tell they weren't the sharpest blade on the first pass, but everything gets cleaned up on the second pass with no irritation, so who cares?

The blades don't last terribly long, but 3-4 shaves is not a problem, and at this price, it's really a pleasure to be able to pop in a fresh blade whenever you want.

The packaging is great. Some complain about the glue on the paper wrapper, but that's not an issue for me. I appreciate the little slot to dispose of used blades. Nice little touch.

I'm not sure this is the perfect blade, but it is very good at what it does, very cheap, and very forgiving. I love it!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I purchased a 100 pack of the Derby's after reading reviews thinking they would be for me. Well... I guess my skin type just does not like them at all. I tried ten blades out of my 100 pack and they pretty much are very consistent on the sharpness of the blade. I have no issues WTG or XTG but when I go ATG it is painful for some reason. I get a lot of irritation with ATG so I don't think these are for me. They are of very nice high quality and will work for most shaves but I would just need to be very cautious and take my time on ATG.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Derby's became part of my rotation early on in my DE shaving career and overall I have been very satisfied with this blade. Sure, Feathers are sharper and Irridiums are smoother out of the box and last longer (but for about 3X their price of a Derby!!!). Today was my third shave on the Derby I loaded earlier in the week in a Gilette Big Fellow and I found it to be even smoother than the first and second days and I got a nice BBS. Normally, I only use a blade three times but I think I will give tis Derby one more day and then toss it. I cannot believe the prices for these blades on Amazon - 250 blades for $20 shipped. I would not hesitate to recommend these blades!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
This blade is not smooth and it doesn't last. I can only shave with it once. Second shaves have always been bloody with the Derby. YMMV.

My favorite blades are the Personna Red Pack and Astra SP which cost about the same as the Derby.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Price
What can be said - a very fair price

Quality
I like this blade , it shaves close and comfortable

Sharpness
There has been much debate on this. It is a razor blade it is sharp

Longevity
I get 4-6 shaves out of blade. There is no ryme or reason

Smoothness of Shave

Very close and smooth shave. I have used more expensive blades with less favorable results

Packaging

I really don't care about such matters
as long as they stay sharp in transit and are of a correct count. So a 10 is my rating.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Price: Cheap. That gets a 10.

Quality: Every shave I've had with these has been awful. I only have one razor (an Edwin Jagger), and I know that the blade/razor match is important so maybe that's the problem. But I end up with all sorts of irritation and ingrowns when I use these. After I switched to Feather, all my problems went away. Just to be sure it was the blade and not my skill improving, I switched back a few times only to find the same terrible shave. Better than a cartridge, but not by much.

Sharpness: Decent, but I can feel it pull my whiskers on occasion. Needless to say, the Feathers don't.

Longevity: By the third shave, one of these irritated my skin more than a week-old Sensor Excel cartridge. Go figure.

Smoothness of shave: For all of my complaints, I never got much skipping.

Packaging: The door is a little annoying, but that's it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I don't hate these, but I'm not in love with them, either. I picked up a few packs and usually I only use a blade once and then toss it. with these, I may have to toss them halfway through a shave and insert a new blade into my razor to finish. maybe it's just me, but I'm finding them to be pretty inconsistent in both the sharpness and the smoothness departments. at first I get a nice clean cut, easy on the skin and fairly precise. after ten or fifteen passes things get choppy. angles start becoming difficult to navigate, as one pass is smooth, and the next cuts me like a ripe melon. never had this issue with the Dorcos . . . and I thought they were too blunt. Feathers were too sharp, and from what I'd read, I thought these would be a happy medium. maybe I should either go back to the Dorcos and just suffer the extra passes, or man up to the Feathers and get into precision wet-shaving.

anyway, nice front label, and not a bad price. won't re-purchase, though.

Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Im one of those which thinks Derbys are just ok, not remarkable.

Price - Pretty cheap

Quality - Seems good enough, but there's the "vertical label" blade issue

Sharpness - Not very sharp, they just can't cut easily.

Longevity - Around 3 or 4 shaves, average.

Smoothness of Shave - Smooth shaving

Packaging - Ordinary blade plastic box with 5 blades. Why 5?

Conclusion - It's a nice blade but there are much better blades
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
These blades leave way too much behind on each pass. They don't cut my stubble. They drag and skip across my face setting me up for nicks. I have had much better results with Merkur blades and ASR blades carried at the local supermarket or drug store. It must be me, though, judging by how many positive reiews they have gotten.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
$9.99 per hundred. Can't beat that. Package is cool, and not bulky. They're extremely sharp. I can shave both my face AND my head 4 times before I stop getting BBS shaves from them. That's the equal of 8 times just shaving my face.
The quality is high. I get fantastic shaves with NO irritation. These and Shark are my current faves.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Price: Great price considering the quality of shave I get from them

Quality: I've used about 120 of these blades now and I find the quality to be consistent. I've maybe had one or two duff blades out of all 120.

Sharpness: Very sharp, not "ninja sharp" like the Feather blades but sharp enough for a fantastic shave.

Longevity: They last about three or four shaves for me.

Smoothness of shave: Fantastic smooth shave every time from these, no razor burn at all. Really close, no need for an upward stroke.

Packaging: The usual affair with most blades, would be great if they done a 10-pack.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I love Derby blades. They are my favorite go to blade now. I was using Feathers, but I find Derby's to be overall more smooth and longer lasting than Feathers.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Maybe it's just that I've opened up a bad pack of these, but they're lasting about 2 shaves each before some tugging sets in (but when I've got a brand new blade in the Merkur, it gives a great, smooth shave).
Top Bottom