What's new

DeLong Badger brush

Pros: huge, thirsty brush
Cons: we'll see
It says silvertip and it might be, although I suspect it's a silvertip mix rather than 100%. How else can they offer a brush this cheaply? I've only been using it a couple of days and have not noticed a single lost hair. It is very soft, even softer than my Jagger Best Badger brush which cost me $10 more. It loads incredibly well and as of this writing I'm sold on Delong. Just following up 6 months later and this is still performing wonderfully!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
My experience with the Delong “silver tip” brush is not as positive as those above. Prior to ordering the DeLong I had been using a #05 Omega boar brush which I am perfectly happy with. Once broken in, it has been a terrific brush. The only real problem with it, is it takes a long time to dry out, so if you use it everyday it never has a chance to fully dry. So I thought it would be good to have a second brush to alternate with and why not make that second brush a badger. That way I can see what all the fuss is about, since many claim the badger is the way to go.

Like many here I wondered if Delong could really be offering a “silver tipped” badger shaving brush for $21.00 shipped. So I decided to take the gamble and find out. I bought mine from an Ebay seller. The shipping was fast, roughly about three days from payment. The packaging it came in was minimal but who cares, if you are potentially getting a “silver tipped” brush at a bargain price. But the old adage “you get what you pay for” certainly applies here, because this turned out to be no bargain.

Immediately I noticed that it was a prodigious “shedder”. The handle was nothing special, but not bad either, the shape afforded a good grip. Applying the dry brush directly to my cheek I felt a “prickly” quality that didn't bode well for this experiment. Giving it the benefit of the doubt, I thought perhaps this is the result of it being a dry brush, not being broken-in and/not being full of lather. So I rinsed the brush in water and on a positive note noticed it didn't have very much of the “dead animal” smell that some describe when first using a new brush. I used this brush three days consecutively. The brush itself seemed dense enough and don't think it was too floppy and it lathered well. There is no way for me to prove, or dis-prove the “silver tip” claim. But my guess is that it is not of “silver tip” grade and that is where the big problem for DeLong's alleged “silver tip” lies with me. It was very uncomfortable to use, I found it prickly and downright harsh. After using it for each of the three days it literally felt as if I'd scrubbed my face with sandpaper. This sensation lasted well after the shave itself and if I didn't know better I would have thought this brush might be made of porcupine instead of badger.

In summary, I took a gamble and lost. My advice is to avoid DeLong's alleged “silver tip” brush and the temptation of a $21 bargain. If you have only $20, or so to spend, you will be better served to invest in a quality boar brush. If you must have a badger, bite the bullet, spend more and get something that is more likely what it claims to be. I did, and ended with an outstanding badger brush I'm very happy with despite it's only “pure” grade rating.

As always, YMMV.

DD
Ok... I post this brush alot. But honestly it is a fantastic buy for the shaver on a budget. You can't beat the price, you can get it shipped to you for under 20 bucks!
This is my daily brush, obviously not my most expensive. I feel the hair quality is good but not as dense as a brush over 100bucks. Exfoliates well with the right stiffness to softness balance, much softer than my more expensive best badger.

Overall this brush is it when it comes to shaving on a budget. You wont be disappointed.:thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Have used this brush for 6 months.
Paid under $20
Very soft brush without being too floppy, good for creams, a little soft for soaps.
Holds water like a sponge
No funky smell
Has not lost a single hair since new.
No downside, this is one great brush.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
D
Olrdered this silver tip badger brush off EBAY on a whim for $18 which included shipping. I was amazed when I got it for I had been using a bristle shaving brush I have had for some years. The silver tip has proved excellent and I cannot for the life of me understand how they can sell a quality brush like this for $18. The asking price was $21.95 or offers and I offered $18 and it was accepted. http://tinyurl.com/q6wu46
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
Cheap is not always bad. After I started shaving with this brush my badgers were sold at a yard sale.
What more can one say?
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
I have the Delong black badger, faux ivory handle. Available on Ebay for $16 shipped as of this review, I got mine from Jay's Stylist Products.

It's bigger, heavier and floppier than my Tweezerman. It's about as soft new as my Tweezerman after three months of use.

This Delong lost quite a few hairs during the first couple shaves, then stopped shedding. There is a Silvertip version available for a few dollars more, but I don't think I'd want anything much softer than this black badger brush, since I like the slight scrub it gives.

A great bargain, and recommended to anyone who wants to try a badger brush on a budget, and wants something larger and heavier than the Tweezerman. For the price it's an amazing performer, and the only reason I'm not giving it tens across the board is that the handle, while hefty and practical isn't made of anything interesting like Zebrawood or Unicorn horn, and I'm sure the big bucks brushes have to be better...but at under $20 for this Delong I'm not sure I'll ever be tempted to drop the dough to find out how much better a big bucks badger brush can be.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
D
Hello Eddie,

How are you?I am Frank from China,I make shaving brush for more than 13 years,I would like to introduce my badger hair shaving brush for you,and make sure that you will interested in it,thanks!

so if you like,we hope we will contact about any problem of badger hair shaving brush as you like,I think I have so much thing to study from you,thanks!My email is [email protected],thanks!

Best regards!

Frank
Got this for 29 bucks shipped from Virtual Village Ebay via Shanhai. No funny stuff, smells etc. this is one big a$$ed brush compared to my Conk's badger at 22mm. this must be about 25mm but when i shook it dry it was as wide as the palm of my hand (men's glove size large) Its super soft, retains lots of water and it stays hotter longer than the old conks. I get a real nice HOT lather on my face, for the low price, i recommend it...now will some one send me their euro super silver tip to compare??? I for one will keep buying this brush...the slight increase in a Euro brush (if there is a perceived difference) doesn't make sense in this BushCo economy. try it I think you will like it. they also sent me a coupon for 25% the next purchase.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Arrived yesterday, shaved today. I only have the C&E BBB for comparison. Bigger & denser than the C&E, holds more water. Lather was very watery at first, will need to find how much water to use. A little scritchy, but less than the C&E.

The brush was shipped in a padded envelope in a flimsy plastic box, the bristles were lopsidedly compressed to an oval shape. It did lose 4 or 5 hairs, which may have been due to the shipping.

All in all a very decent brush.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
D
This is truly a wonderful shaving brush. The price is very reasonable at between $25.00 and $30.00. It claims to be a badger silvertip. It lathers beautifully since it does retain a lot of water while using. The handle is nice and sturdy and has a great feel to the hand. Easy to use. Soft on your face. I have had very, very few hairs fall out. It has a real rich, full body to it. It looks and feels like a professional high-end, high-cost shaving brush. I truly can't think of anything that I do not like about it. It certainly has proved to be a great purchase which has left me completely satisfied.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
recieved the brush

1, packaging not so good

2,density ok,holds enough water

3,lathering,imho this is a very soft brush ideal for creams

4,same density has vulfix 2235 super badger.but softer

5,PLEASE GIVE THIS BRUSH A GOOD SHAMPOO BEFORE USE,IT SMELLS

PLEASE BEAR IN MIND.I HAVE NO TRUELY HIGH END BRUSH.TO COMPARE
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
I bought this Delong Badger brush on Ebay a year ago for $25.00 shiped to the house, The only other brushes I have is a Tweezerman Badger witch is a bit stiffer and smaller. The other is a Badger brush I got from Matt Thomas over at the SRP site. I have no other highend brushes to compair it to other than the brsh I got from Matt. Anyways here it go's, The DeLong Badger brush I have is what you might call a little floppy and not extremly dence. It only shed a few hairs when I first got and used it. It does not seem to shed any at all after the first half dozen uses. I've been useing it for about a year now. I use a bowl to make lather with soaps and creams mixed. I guess it would make a good cream brush from what I read about brushes on the sites. It works fine for me with eather soap or cream mixed or not. I liked it so much I ended up buying anouther to leave at work to use. I would say that this brush is a great value for someone starting out wet shaving on a buget. I'm sure it's not like a Simson, or the Rooney Emillion I plan to get, but for what it is, I think it is a great value.

Eddie
Top Bottom