What's new

De Vergulde Hand soap stick

Pros: Easy to lather, nice stick holder
Cons: Availability, no tallow
This is another product that I cannot rate on the price since I did not pay for it. I did however use this one in the past so I know it a little but decided to go for a full 30 shaves in a row to really understand the product and make sure I can review it properly. I received this stick from the Netherlands and want to thank mol81 for it.

My understanding is that product has been on the Dutch market for a very long time (over 450 years according to their website but I did not find anything RE the soap formula over the years). It might even be one of the oldest shave company still in business. I also read many times (I would say rumour because I don't know for sure) that they are still running with the same formula since day 1(But I'm really not sure about that). Many locals (in the Netherlands) either love it or hate it. I find it to be a very nice, mild scent and I enjoy it. That stick is fairly thirsty and does not contain tallow. It does perform very well.

I always do a "reality check" check with a random stick during the 30 shaves and the one I picked was LaToja. I was, somehow, surprised that LaToja's lather felt inferior to DVH. I was expecting them to be the same. I will get back to LaToja eventually and I always regarded it as a great stick but this time, something probably happened so hold on your pitchforks and torches for now! :laugh:

Back to DVH, I never tried the shave cream or the ExtraFris (I do have a puck, thanks again mol81) that I will convert in a stick (as DVH does't make it as a stick) and see how I go later but not today. The DVH shave stick was giving great lather that was very workable. I won't hide that it's not the thickest lather that I ever had but it's very serviceable. I would place it on average or maybe 1 notch above average. It's a great stick IMO, the holder is fairly unique and I understand that those go for 2 or 3 euros?

I also tried this stick with a few drops of glycerin. The DVH stick does not need any additional products to work well but I thought why not? It was a tiny bit slicker but not by much. The product by itself is already very good so you shouldn't need to make Uberlather with it.

What else? The scent, there something spicy and according to the DVH website (again), they mention Jojoba oil for their shave cream in a can. The shave stick or shave soap doesn't really smell like Jojoba, there's something else in there. It's fresh, clean and I don't known what. It's a good scent as it's mild and not overpowering.

if I would have those locally, I would buy them to keep them as regulars but I, unfortunately, don't so I will keep them for special occasions. It's funny to say this for a product so cheaply priced but that's what it is. However, I don't think that I could only live on this one. It's nice but I prefer soaps like Proraso, Speick, Palmolive, Wilkinson Sword and Pre de Provence.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Inexpensive, nice travel container, lathers very easily
Cons: Some people say it can be a bit harsh on the skin
This is the most common shaving soap in the Netherlands. Certainly for the price, it is not bad at all (per ml, it's in the same price range as Palmolive).
I've used this soap for years, and it is very easy to use. You just rub the stick on your face, and start lathering away. The brush contains more than enough lather for a second pass as well (I always do 2 passes, and some touching up).
The scent is neutral, and it provides a good gliding surface for the razor. The resulting lather is creamy, and easily holds the water.
It's a solid performer, but probably not for the very sensitive skin. The price is in Euro, of course!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I used this when I started wet shaving, some 35 years ago. Back then I could not get a decent lather out of it, and I really disliked the scent. Now I am back into wet shaving and picked up some DVG pucks and sticks. At first I ditched them (only wanted the travel case that came with the stick), but then started to use the soap. Now it lathers like crazy and I get a good shave out of it. I even can stand the scent now. No problems with drying here. Worth a try, tho outside Holland that might not be that easy.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Super stuff for the price. I expected mediocrity, but this little soap lathers up very well (and I even used a cheap WS badger brush). Comfortable shave. Scent is just OK (too much Nivea for Men-type smell). Quite a soft soap, won't last forever, but for 1,55 euro's who's complaining?

(For some reason I really like the stamped hand, crown and the word 'scheerzeep' on this puck of soap :thumbup1:)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
crackstar said:
I never heard of this soap until recently, when I met up with a couple of members of this board from Holland, where this soap is from. It's very attractively packaged, with a nice holder to keep the stick in place, and does it lather and smell nice! :smile: I can do a good 2 pass shave just with the lather on the brush, because it's a very rich, creamy lather. The scent is also very exotic, and it lingers! Dank U Viel, Rene! :wink: :smile:

Jeff

Anytime Jeff ! just write me when your out of the V.Hand soap.
I can rate the soap aswell even though I havent used it myself it must be the exact same thing as the normal soap but just in a different model fabricated.
Which I have at home. the smell is indeed exotic or strange its nothing like Arko
its clean but still reminds you of a barbershop. not medicinal cleanliness like Arko. good fragrance.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I never heard of this soap until recently, when I met up with a couple of members of this board from Holland, where this soap is from. It's very attractively packaged, with a nice holder to keep the stick in place, and does it lather and smell nice! :smile: I can do a good 2 pass shave just with the lather on the brush, because it's a very rich, creamy lather. The scent is also very exotic, and it lingers! Dank U Viel, Rene! :wink: :smile:

Jeff
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing