What's new

De Vergulde Hand shaving cream

Not as rich or elegant as its soap companion but still very nice stuff, for sure. Good and stable lather with a pleasant scent and the moisturizing aspect is also pretty good. The tube is solid and can take quite a bit of rough treatment if necessary.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Another excellent cream which not only lathers and shaves well, but also works wonders for sensitive skin. Perhaps the scent is a little less pronounced than in the soap bowl or stick version, but still there. The post shave feeling is very pleasant and comfortable.

Jeff
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
It's been a while since I used this cream, and therefore I will not give it a rating. From what I remember, it produces a nice, creamy lather and shaves quite well, too. Its scent is hard to describe: it's fresh citrus-like, but in a combination not found in nature. Then again, most products are endowed with scents which are not to be found in nature. Some people report that they find it obnoxious, so once again, your mileage may vary... At ~ €3 / 100 ml it is quite cheap, although cheaper can be found in this segment.

I only used it a few times, for I found that on the third pass of my shave, the lather would begin to sting uncomfortably. I attribute this to the borax in its formulation: undoubtedly added as an antisceptic, but in combination with my freshly shaven skin, a compound I'd rather not have in there. After the third shave with it or so, I threw the tube away.
The price for this is sort of high when you consider that when you buy in it's homeland it's cheap cream. I guess importing it adds a lot. I bought this from TSD, and it costs $13 for 100mL. Add shipping you are are in high end cream land.

The quality of the cream is way up there. Great performance. Scent is nowhere near as in your face as the soap. If you find the soap overwhelming, try the cream. The scent is the same, just not as pronounced.

Lathers right up easily. I palm lather - a glob in my hand followed my a wet brush. Lots of lather no problem. The lather works really well. It's slick and makes shaving easy and comfortable.

The stuff is not as moisturizing as a lanolin based cream, but didn't leave my face dry either. As for packaging, you get a tube. That's fine. One less thing to throw away. No beautiful printed cardboard box.

All in all a satisfying shave.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I just purchased this from the Shave Den and am quite impressed (I sold the soap because I thought it was too small and the container awful). I think the VGH cream is much better and easier to work with than the soap. The scent is similar and so are the moisturizing properties. It feels like it has little bit of menthol or peppermint oil. The yellow and blue tube is nice enough.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Found this in yet another supermarket. Tried it with the Flying Eagle razor and a Topaz Stainless (micronized). Gave a loth of nice thick lather and very good and smooth shave. Skin felt good afterwards. A bit more expensive than Palmolive (2,39 vs 1,69 for 100 ml, so about 3,20 to 2,50 USD), but it feels a bit more luxurious, so a higher price seems ok. Will keep this cream in my rotation.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)