What's new

D. R. Harris sandalwood

Pros: A really nice Sandalwood aftershave with some staying power.
Cons: Other than the price, none.
I finished up my bottle of Domincia Bay Rum and it was time for a change. After some research here on B&B I settled on D.R. Harris Sandalwood aftershave.

This has to be the nicest aftersahave splash I have ever used, it fights razor burn nicely without giving you the "burn". Even several hours later, I still have a smooth face and the residual sandalwood scent to a point you don't need a cologne to go with it.

Yes this is not cheap at $45 Cdn but I opinion worth every penny. I would buy this again.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: This scent of sandalwood is just the best one I have ever tried
Cons: No negatives for me
I think this is the best sandalwood I've ever tried. It will always be " in stock" in my line-up of a/s products. Just love this scent.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Price: There's no getting around it...this's a pretty expensive A/S. I came by it in a trade, but I'm not sure I'll replace it once it's out, given its price.

Quality: Can't knock the quality at all...you certainly get a very fine splash. Does its job, smells great, and comes in a compact, classy, utilitarian bottle.

Fights razor burn: It's not like a balm in this regard, and I'd put it a few points behind my favorite splash (Dominica Bay Rum), but it's no slacker as far as soothing goes. Just be warned you're fighting fire with fire for a little bit there.

Cooling Sensation: There's no menthol in it, so you can't really expect a cooling feeling from it...especially if, like me, you've just drenched your face in frigid water as part of your routine.

Scent: "Subtle tangy oils" is right...there's really no getting around the fact that this smells nothing whatsoever like sandalwood. Compared to AoS soap & SCS limited-edition EdT, there really isn't an appreciable sandalwood note here...it smells more like a more refined version of Clubman had a love child with TOBS St. James. However, if you can get over the name, it smells great. Just nothing like you'd think it would from the name.

Efficacy: Does its job, and does it well. Nothing dreadfully exceptional.

Moisturizing: It's an alcohol splash. It might not be as drying as some, but if you want moisturizing, you really need a balm.

Alcohol Burn: Here's the kicker. I suspect it has something to do with the fragrance oils used for the scent, but this thing burns like hellfire for me...however, the burn doesn't linger. Maybe it's alcohol, maybe it's a reaction, but to me, it just feels like a really intense alcohol burn, which I don't mind. I could see someone avoiding for that reason, though.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I seem to have an issue with British after shaves, therefore this one was not an exception. A quality product indeed, but the scent disappointed me. I wanted to complement my Art of Shaving shave cream with a liquid aftershave and chose this one.

First of all, the scent was totally different to the AoS. I have heard artisan soap makers talking about real essential oil contents in various products, and I understand that neither of the AoS or DRH products may include any real sandalwood essential oils.

Point for me was the disappointing scent and the 'sticky' feeling in the face I had afterwards. I don't get that with the DRH Arlington and Marlborough after shaves (which I'm happy with). Therefore after two uses, the DRH Sandalwood after shave was traded.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Great Sandalwood scent, which lasts for a few hours but is not too strong and doesn't cling on. This particular sandalwood scent has hints of pepper; very unique.

It is a splash and it has alcohol in it so I am not going to downgrade for moisturizing or alcohol burn.
I paid thirty three U.S. dollars and I don't think it is worth the price. It is imported so I can understand the high cost. Will I buy another bottle? Most likely because it is a great aftershave and it is a nice change from using all the cooling aftershave splashes.

I think the ratings would be higher without the "cooling sensation" category and the high price.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Longevity, healing properties, scent
Cons: none
You know that dog in the Beggin' Strips ad, running through the house, knocking things over, in a frantic search for "bacon." That's me with DR Harris Sandalwood AS.

This is a must have. I have no information to add, it has all been said, I offer my enthusiasm.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Title says it all. Previous favorite was Master Bay Rum, which works VERY well, but this has surpassed it.

Price- Way too expensive, but this is its price point, and I am willing to pay for it after trying the product.

Quality- Smells great, works great. Glass bottle very nice.

Razor burn- I don't really get r.b. anymore, so I can't comment

Cooling- not much, if any.

Scent- really nice- slightly sweet and powdery sandalwood for my nose, but never feminine. Not a home run for me, but very nice. LASTS too- still picking up hints of it hours later.

Efficacy- great, edges out Master bay rum ever so slightly in the moisturizing end, and really softens the skin nicely in a way that seems to last through the day. Best part? I can use about a third of what I'd use of most other cheaper end products for better results.

Moisturizing- top notch. The real test comes in a few months when winter will suck all the water out of the air, but for now it's darn near perfect. Zero drying and/or 'tightness' on the skin.

Alcohol burn- not much, but I don't really feel alcohol burn unless my razor technique suffers.

Overall, I really like it. It does hurt to shell out $30-$35 for this online, but all is forgiven when I slap it on. I gotta try D.R. Harris' other offerings.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
This is my first sandalwood aftershave and I love it. I think the scent even tops my beloved musgo and just like the musgo stays with you all day. I dont consider this expensive when you get a quality product like this. A brief sting when applied, and afterwards my skin looks and feels great. There isn't much of a cooling sensation but when I require that i'll go for proraso. I wouldn't say you get much moisturizing from it but it certainly doesn't dry my skin. I'm currently using this alongside taylors sandalwood soap and am loving it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I wasn't so sure about this at first, and I actually even considered selling it after first using it because I just wasn't getting it. However, after not using it for a few months I tried it the other day and I have to say I really like it. It might be the fact that when I first tried it the weather was pretty warm and now it is cold, maybe for me it is more suitable for cold weather. I found that in the warm weather the consistency was a bit tacky and the scent slightly cloying, however it works great in the cold weather.

For me moisturizing properties are above average for an alcohol-based A/S. Definitely a little goes a long way, in fact too much might lead to slight tackiness as mentioned above. As for the scent, it has really grown on me-The anise hits you pretty hard at first, but after a few minutes it dries down into a very nice scent...I am never quite sure if I am really smelling sandalwood but whatever it is I like it, sophisticated and gentlemanly without smelling too "old." Also, as mentioned above the longevity for me is superior to my other aftershaves, it seems to last for several hours and by the end of the day I am still getting a trace of the scent.

All in I am happy with this now and will definitely continue to wear it, albeit probably only during the winter/fall.
sanuginz;1531734 said:
A spicy sandalwood. I can detect notes of cinnamon. Very tasty and yummy. My mom calls it too heavy, but she likes it nonetheless. My wife says it smells like clean earth and she likes it too. Staying power is probobly 6-8 hours of frequent whiffs and an intense smell for 1-2 hours. I like to do the method shaving application of cooking the alcohol off for 3-5 seconds before application over an a/s balm. So no burn there. I couldn't resist the sale from SRD and they have cheap shipping. It cost me $30 shipped. Great Deal and same price or cheaper than others without shipping included. I forgot to mention to splash stopper really is great and you only need a few drops per application so you get a lot of value there. Much less is needed per application than Aqua Velva or other cheapies.

I saw how one cooks it of in CAR's video. But I see he is using just 2-3 drops and he is rubbing it on his hands for 5 seconds. How does it not evaporate and how does he get enough for his face and neck?
A spicy sandalwood. I can detect notes of cinnamon. Very tasty and yummy. My mom calls it too heavy, but she likes it nonetheless. My wife says it smells like clean earth and she likes it too. Staying power is probobly 6-8 hours of frequent whiffs and an intense smell for 1-2 hours. I like to do the method shaving application of cooking the alcohol off for 3-5 seconds before application over an a/s balm. So no burn there. I couldn't resist the sale from SRD and they have cheap shipping. It cost me $30 shipped. Great Deal and same price or cheaper than others without shipping included. I forgot to mention to splash stopper really is great and you only need a few drops per application so you get a lot of value there. Much less is needed per application than Aqua Velva or other cheapies.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
If it wasn't for the scent, I would say this is just another aftershave. Aaaah, but the scent...it's as if I spent the morning working in the wood shop. Have you had the sandalwoods that smell like oatmeal with cinnamon or ordinary hand lotion? Not this one. This sandalwood scent is my favorite of the half dozen products I've tried so far. I actually prefer this for it's attributes as a masuline cologne that is not overpowering more than I appreciate it as an aftershave.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
A good old-school English aftershave. The sandal fragrance is there and as advertised it is better than most, albeit topped off a little heavily with anise. Leaves my skin soft and supple after the initial sharp, bracing burn. Above average at fighting razor burn. Overall, worth looking into if you're a fan of sandalwood.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Superb stuff, great, great scent. Luv it!!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I just picked this up from Jim at Vintage, and I love it. I have had a small sample of this stuff for a long while but when I saw the price had dropped to 25 I took the bait. I gave it a fight razor burn and alcohol burn a NA because I don't have issues with those. Efficacy in aftershaves I don't think play a role. It wasn't cooling like the menthol ladened Marlborough. The scent is out of this world. I just can't stop smelling myself!:biggrin: Quality, well its a Harris. Price for it was an 8 at $25. Free would be a 10. :tongue:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
I have only tried this a time or two as I have just recently received it. However, these are my observations at this point:

Great scent. Didn't know if I liked it in the bottle, but on my face it smelled great. When I let my wife smell it, she teared up as a result of nostalgia for her grandfather. She really liked it. It does linger well.

I didn't really mind or notice the price. I'm not rich, but I buy what I want. It did not seem unreasonable.

It seems to moisturize as well as any other after shave I have tried.

I don't generally get razor burn so I really can't rate it for that. My first use with this after shave coincided with my switch to Feather blades. Don't believe the hype about the alcohol base with this one. Nor, with the Feathers.

I didn't experience an alcohol burn. I did experience a comforting warmth on application.

I will definitely order another before this runs out. I had some bad experience with the shipping since it contained alcohol. It took over a month to get it (CONUS to CONUS).
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
his shocking characteristic, that other alcoholic aftershave in a contrast this in truth does not dry! On the other hand his fragrance does not like and dirty expensive one. The packaging looks well in the bathroom. In summer really ideal.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
This has been my primary aftershave for a few weeks now. The scent is terrific, and I'd rate it higher than Musgo Real in that respect. It does not do the work of an A/S as well as Musgo, however. This has a real alcohol burn, which I actually like, but it does not have any discernable moisturizing or healing properties. I'll enjoy this bottle, but I probably won't buy another.
To paraphrase Ferris Bueller: "DR Harris sandalwood is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend it." :tongue:

When it comes to aftershaves, I want something that soothes, disinfects, and provides a great "closure" to my shave. DR Harris sandalwood accomplishes this with flying colors. No greasy balms here!

When first applying, there is a wonderful tingle, and any irritation I may have felt is SHUT DOWN instantly. Seconds later my skin feels incredible, and smells great. OK, it isn't real sandalwood. I get sassafras and maybe a touch of star anise.

As far as cooling, I gave it a 10, because it isn't supposed to do this, so why deduct points?

No alcohol burn would be misleading, this is over 80% alcohol. I find the alcohol provides an invigorating, fleeting tingle that I look forward to at the end of my shaves.

All in all, one of my favorites, especially in the winter.

WARNING: may be addictive if used with AOS sandalwood shave soap!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I like Gentlemen's Refinery for scent-free aftershave, and use the D.R. Harris instead of a cologne. It smells absolutely fantastic when I want sandalwood. Agree it is much better and richer than the Taylor's. The price, even with the conversion, as I buy it from the original store near Jermyn St. in London, is very reasonable for such a fine product.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)