What's new

D.R. Harris Rose

Pros: Lather, scent
Cons: color
I've tried numerous shave creams, but this one is a real "keeper" for me. I never thought I'd like a rose scent, but it's great. The Pink aftershave is a perfect compliment for this cream. It's one of the best.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: scent, quality
Cons: price
I agree with the above review. I'm not a huge fan of the Rose scent, but I got this product as part of a sampler of Harris creams so I gave it a try.

First of all, this came out more as a croap - very dense cream on par with a Castle Forbes or AdP. I put my usual amount in and had to put half of it back because I got a large amount of rich lather with a very small amount.

The rose smell is pleasant, and this one is on par with the top creams out there.

I've tried Taylors and Trumpers Rose and I'd put this one above them. I got a beautiful shave with a terrific, smooth glide.

Highly recommended if you like Rose scents.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This is my first D.R. Harris cream although I am a big fan of their soaps. My cream inventory includes TOBS, Speik, AOS, GFT, Coates, T&H, eShave, KMF, Real Shaving Co. and probably a couple more.

proxy.php

Price - 24 dollars for 150 grams of shaving cream. More expensive than TOBS (which is a bargain) less than T&H and Trumpers. Given the quality and how little you need to use, I'm OK with the price.

Quality - It seems everything D.R. Harris does is first rate and there is no letdown here. The cream is thick and aerated, shockingly pink, and very fragrant. The jar includes a second plastic "shield" under the lid to help retain everything.

Scent - Like shoving your mug in a dozen roses! I just bought roses for SWMBO on Valentines day so it is easy to compare. This isn't an everyday scent for me but when the mood strikes. Like most rose scents this one contains Geranium as well due to the price of rose essential oil.

After the shave the scent is gone from my face which is what I prefer.

Latherability - On my first use I took a plastic knife and scooped out the typical almond sized knurdle and found this to be too much. I now start with a peanut sized portion and adjust from there.

proxy.php

Bowl lathering with either an Omega or Edwin Jagger Silvertip (well squeezed) shows the thickness of the cream. Water is added slowly before the lather explosion. Thankfully the lather also loses its goofy atomic flamingo color. :tongue_sm

proxy.php

Efficacy - The cushion and glide are nicely balanced and the beard is prepped beautifully by this cream. It is a real treat to shave with this cream and the results are stellar.

It is not quite as slick as Coates Tea Tree & Rosemary or TOBS Avocado, but it is still quite slick.

My benchmark for cushion in a shaving cream is GFT Coconut and the Harris Rose compares well.

For my third shave with this cream I used a Merkur 39C slant and a new Feather blade and although I attained BBS in 4 passes I felt like I could shave all day with the protection offered. My face felt great afterwards.

Moisturizing Properties - Very good, but not quite up with the best in this criteria.

Packaging - A well sealed white tub. Functional. Lacks the visual appeal of the Truefitt and Hill tubs.

My only recommendations for improvement to the product would be to ditch the coloring (it serves no purpose) and perhaps boost the moisturizing properties a bit. If either change reduced the shave performance it would not be worth it IMHO.

In conclusion, this is a very fine shaving cream that does nothing to diminish my respect for the D.R. Harris brand. Shave performance is just superb with excellent protection. :thumbup1:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)