What's new

D.R. Harris Pink Aftershave

Price - I got mine for $29.50 at QED. Certainly not cheap, but because of its other qualities, I'm willing to overlook the cost.

Quality- The aftershave itself is of good quality. It is an effective aftershave that smells good and feels good on the skin. The packaging exudes quality. The bottle is glass, and it has a stopper that allows the product to drip out, thus eliminating waste.

Fights Razor Burn- I don't get razor burn, and I don't believe this product is designed to alleviate razor burn. I gave the Harris Pink a 10 here anyway because my skin just feels plain good after I put it on after a shave.

Cooling Sensation- Like the rating above, I don't think Harris Pink is designed to perform this function. There is no menthol or any cooling agent in this product.

Scent- very, very nice. I never considered myself one for rose scents or anything floral, but this scent is something else. Very soft, pleasant rose scent that fades after application.

Moisturizing - Has glycerin in it, so the product will moisturize somewhat. My skin feels very soft even at the end of the day, long after I've applied the Pink.

No Alcohol Burn - It is ~16% alcohol, which is barely noticeable. If I get a really close shave or get any weepers, I can feel a slight tingle when I apply it, but it fades immediately.

Efficiency - For me, it's a 10, because it does everything I want it to do. I want aftershaves that will disinfect, absorb quickly, smell nice, and add some moisture. Harris Pink fulfills all of these requirements.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Perhaps the DR Harris Pink is "The Emperor with No Clothes" aftershave.... It is a wonderful experience for me each and everytime I use it however. I have been an ardent supporter and user of both Floris JF and Alt Innsbruck splashes and consider them top tier products as well, but I must say there is really something uniquely special about this Harris Pink. I couple it with some of the more gentle soaps such as Valobra and Palmolive as well as the slightly Rose scented Vintage Williams... after nice shaves with those soaps as well as the obvious paring of GFT Rose, (or DR Harris Rose Cream which I have not splurged for as I prefer the simple soap process)... this splash really takes your mind and face back to the times of Beau Brummel and the Dandies and Rakes of days gone by. It is worth the cost to me and I will reorder from Phil at BullGoose when I finish this fine juice. The pourer/stopper is superb as well!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
It seems that a lot of people ding Harris for price, but Harris's prices are far below other top-notch English products except for TOBS. Trumper, Truefitt & Hill, and Penhaligon's generally cost significantly more. Now on to the aftershave:

Quality: top notch rose hydrosol toner

Razor Burn: not as effective as alcohol, but not bad either

Cooling: no menthol, so there is minimal cooling except for evaporation. It would be very difficult to dissolve menthol in a toner--I tried it with Thayer's Rose and after a year you can still see the crystals.

Scent: this is wear Pink shines--sure the name is girly and perhaps DR Harris should have chose more carefully, but it's still a great, rich but not mucky rose that is short lasting.
Well if there are 2 camps in the aftershave category, one who prefer high alcohol content, and one who prefer low alcohol content, then those who prefer high alcohol content will not like this splash as previous reviewers have stated. If you prefer low alcohol content splashes than DRH Pink is an aftershave you will most likely want to try at some point. The ingredient list is as follows: Aqua, Ethanol (food grade alcohol) 16.89%, Glycerin, Cetyl Trimethyl Ammonium Bromide (Disinfectant), Methyl Para Hydroxybenzoate (Paraben), Natural Fragrance, and Colouring. You can see the water and alcohol content are in reverse of a typical splash. Glycerin adds subtle moisture to the skin all day, but is also in cheaper aftershaves like Aqua Velva. I was disappointed to find out they use a paraben in the ingredients list. I will most likely not reorder for this reason and price. The scent is short lived and something familiar like a cough drop. I'd really like to compare this to SCS hydro which uses better ingredients than glycerin, and with no parabens, plus its cheaper to boot. Overall its OK... I will use it up but not re-order.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
hm, very difficult.
If someone would tell me this isn´t an aftershave,
I would believe him.

There is nothing that makes me think of an aftershave when I see the pink AS.

Well, the smell is very subtle. First I didn´t even recognize it.
Applied to your face it can be smelled only if you´re very close.
But in fact the smell is very nice indeed, pink and rosy.
Not bad but very subtle.

It doesn´t help my skin at all, it feels exactly like before applying the Pink.
I don´t know if this is good or bad, because my skin in fact doesn´t feel bad afterwards but not "wow"-ie either...

I got it for 15€ from a friend,
so the money is not wasted and in fact I think I´m gonna use it during summertimes
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
I love this AS although the price is a bit hefty, I shall certainly be investing in the 500ml bottle once mine has been used. It did not irritate my skin as several AS's have and has a nice smell that lasts long enough to allow me to shave - splash - kiss the girlfriend - brush my teeth and then get suited and booted and apply my daily 'smell', without getting that awful clash of scents experience with other AS's.

Tom
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This is really a nice after shave that gives a great finish after a close comfortable shave. What I am looking for is an after shave with little alcohol, but not without any at all. D.R. Harris Pink exactly is that kind of after shave and I like it a lot.

Yet I have to agree with you that it is overpriced. Yes, the composition suits my face very well, but I do not see why it has to be so expensive. I does not contain anything special though the smell is the most exceptional thing about it. Since the smell does not last you cannot invoke this as a reason to buy it.

I just bought my first bottle and this is only the second alcoholic after shave I have frequently used since I switched from electrical shaving to a safety razor less than half a year ago.

I will definitely keep an eye out for alternatives.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Overall I found this to be quite bland. It's not that bad, it's just bland...in the sense that it just doesn't really do all that much to be honest. Kind of like pink-coloured water with a slight rose scent to it...that's all you seem to get for the price you pay. I guess it's only merits are that it does not burn whatsoever, and at the least, I did personally find it to be slightly more moisturising than a good few other aftershaves out there. It only has a faint scent, which lasts only a very short time after applying it.

To sum it up I have to say that this was a disappointment, as I was expecting better things from it. Especially considering the price.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
ouch;126487 said:
Thought I already chimed in on this one, but I guess not.

To me, this is not much more than the world's most expensive toner. It smells great, and if the scent stuck around for awhile it may justify its exhorbitant cost, but it doesn't. As is, it's basically not much more than a high end DaVinci water. It's delightful as a splash in warmer weather, but I won't be reordering this, as I feel my money will have been better spent on three big honkin' bottles of QED's toners.

Along with their Bay Rum aftershave, whose scent dissapoints me, this is about the only Harris product that doesn't leave me gushing with praise. If you want a DRH a/s, go for the amazing sandalwood.

I completely agree with this review. This is basically just an extremely overpriced toner. Yes, the scent is out of this world ... but it really serves no function other than to tone - and at this price you're really better off just ordering a rose hydrosol from QED - you'll still get a nice rose scent experience at more than half the cost. Unless you absolutely have to have this stuff and price is no object, get yourself some rose hydrosol from Charles at QED. Much smarter purchase, in my opinion. I learned the hard way.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Thought I already chimed in on this one, but I guess not.

To me, this is not much more than the world's most expensive toner. It smells great, and if the scent stuck around for awhile it may justify its exhorbitant cost, but it doesn't. As is, it's basically not much more than a high end DaVinci water. It's delightful as a splash in warmer weather, but I won't be reordering this, as I feel my money will have been better spent on three big honkin' bottles of QED's toners.

Along with their Bay Rum aftershave, whose scent dissapoints me, this is about the only Harris product that doesn't leave me gushing with praise. If you want a DRH a/s, go for the amazing sandalwood.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Ahhh…. D.R. Harris – the bastard child of English toiletries. D.R. Harris is not a brand you’ll see at your local yuppie market with a cool name, snazzy packaging, lofty promises it cannot back up. D.R. Harris, although seldom spoken of in depth on forums, seldom reviewed/photographed at length, etc – makes just about the best damn products available… albeit at a lofty financial penance. At least for me…. D.R. Harris is not so much an offering of “products” so much as it is an offering of “experiences.” Whether you like them or not – ALL D.R. Harris products just have this special “feel,” scent, look – that just eloquently says “class, quality, distinction….something truly special.” Like an Aston Martin… it just has that tremendously distinct British presence.

The drab white box this product is packaged in sports a distinct “D.R. Harris” sticker/logo proudly bragging of its contents
displayimage.php

Flip the box and you are rewarded with a small history lesson, a list of ingredients, and a signature.
displayimage.php

Now… the magic begins… open the top of the box, and you are instantly struck with the feeling of knowing you are about to experience something truly great. You are greeted with the cool, relaxed refraction of pink against the white packaging… hmmm weird stuff.
displayimage.php

Pull the bottle from the box and the light pink product looks so sophistically elegant. I love these bottles.
displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Twist off the cap, push your nose up against the splash top… and be still my heart… one of THE most incredible rose scents almost knocks you dead. Not that it is particularly strong – as it is a very light scent, that fades quite quickly… but good gracious is it a truly amazing rose scent. I’ll be the first to step up and say I enjoy rose scented products… but I do not get overly worked up about them… D.R. Harris Pink smells orgasmic. I do declare this aftershave, coupled with a shot or two of Penhaligons Hammam Boquet is the most relaxing, pleasant and enjoyable olfactory journey I have ever experienced. Cloud nine my friends.
displayimage.php

Ok ok ok… so how does it work? Eh – alright. Ok - let me qualify – it does sooth the skin, it does add a touch of moisture, it does tone, and it does reduce irritation and qwell razor burn. Function wise – is it anything incredible? In my opinion… no. I do personally prefer it (efficacy wise) to Trumpers Skinfood and I feel it is superior, however in terms of soothing, moisturizing, and repairing, in my opinion it is not in the running with CAR A/S moisture Cream, Proraso Pre/Post, etc. It is also quite pricey stuff… and is NOT a good value.

Overall – I really enjoy this product. I really like “splash” products, I really like how it does not contain alcohol, ergo no burn, it smells great, and works well. I could/would use this on a daily basis, it is that pleasant. When this bottle runs out… I will buy a 500ml bottle.

Rating Scale – Each Quality from 0-2 (2 being best)

Price – 0
Quality – 2
Scent – 2
Efficacy – 1
Lack of burn – 2

Total – 7 out of 10
Top Bottom