What's new

D.R. Harris Lavender Shaving Soap (In Beech Bowl)

A solid performer, this soap really only has two shortcomings relative to its overall quality: the scent is not as prolific as I might prefer and the cost is slightly higher than some of its contemporaries.

Price: $13 - $15 for a refill isn't too bad a price, actually, but there are soaps with similar performance available for $8 - $10. For this reason, I have given it a moderately low rating. You are effectively paying for the name, in this case.

Quality: The reason you're paying so much for the name is that this is a quality piece of kit from an outstanding company. The soap is flawlessly made and packaged. If you spring for the bowl (especially the mahogany-effect one), it exudes quality on the counter.

Scent: A lovely lavender, to be sure. It's just faint. Easy to smell on the soap, it disappears during lathering. This is okay with me, but I would have liked it even more if it filled the room with a lavender bouquet when I shaved.

Lather: And lather it does. In 20 swirls, this gives my Rooney Finest 3/1 or my B&B Essential enough soap for two or three passes. Thick and lovely, it's an excellent lathering soap. Forgiving on water balance, it will lather even in hard water.

Efficacy: Which also glides nicely. This is a slick soap and I never feel like I'm dragging a razor, even when my prep isn't as sound as I'd like it. Never have irritation when using this soap.

Moisturizing: Not just no irritation, but my face does feel softer afterward. I have failed to use aftershave on two occasions with this soap - once intentionally and once accidentally - and each time my face still felt well-moisturized.

Overall, a solid product from a reputable company. Sure, you pay a little extra for the name. It is a good investment, in some ways, because it's such a no-brainer product. It always lives up to the expectation of a good shave, even making up for slight oversights in other parts of the routine.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Price: It is only $13-15 for a refill puck, which considering it is a triple milled soap is not that much. If you want to spring for the wooden bowl then that shouldn't negatively affect your rating on the price of the soap itself.

Quality: Swearing away from what the 3T's and Penhaligons have done, at least DRH kept tallow in their ingredients, though it is now 2nd on the ingredients list. Compared to Trumpers (current offering) I think that DRH is a step above in quality.

Scent: You can barely smell the lavender on the puck and when lathering it is almost non-existent.

Lather: This soap lathers like the best of tallow soaps and can take plenty of water to give a nice thick lather.

Efficacy: Lather produced has plenty of cushion, but lacks a little in slickness. Still, it is very effective.

Moisturizing: To be honest I never really notice any moisturizing properties of soaps unless they are IK, MWF, or tabula Rasa. DRH Lavender doesn't dry your face out, but I don't notice anything extra moisturizing either.

All in all this is a great performing soap, but I prefer the scent of arlington better. If you are buying this for a great lavender scent, I suggest you look elsewhere.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Just received a puck of this soap and i gotta say its given me the best shave yet of any cream/soap i've used in the past. The scent isn't really that of lavender but the lather is super rich and protective. Will get some more top end soaps to compare but i'm very impressed with this one:biggrin1:.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I have been using this for about a month now (every day!) and find it very satisfactory. I am disappointed though with the lack of much of a lavender tang! Taylor's Lavender wins on scent but the Harris produces a thicker lather.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
This stuff is very very good! its my go to soap and has earned its place wash for a long to come.

The Scent isnt as strong as other soaps/cream but its makes for in it lather, efficacy and moisturising properties. I love little wood bowl is comes and i love the way a really small amount goes a long way.

I just lather once and that takes care of my entire shave......:cool: the trick is to use just the right amount of water and you will have lather to last ….
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Sorry guys. As much as I want to love this soap, it has never given me a decent shave. The lather it produces is very nice, I just find that it doesn't give me a lubricating comfortable shave. I love all D.R. Harris products, but when it comes to soap this one doesn't beat T&H Luxury, Mitchells/Kent Wool Fat, Tabac, or Floris. In the past if I have found that a soap isn't lubricating enough I add a little more water and spend more time working the brush on my face, but this doesn't seem to help with the Harris. It is one of those YMMV sort of things.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
One of the top soaps in my opinion, cant go wrong. Pricey no doubt, but the rounds last a long long time. The lather comes on really fast, seems to hold more water than most. No complaints. Its the source of some of my closest all-star shaves.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Maybe I'm nuts, but I have DR Harris lavander soap, and I think very highly of it. I admit, it's pricey, but I think the ends justify the means. It's a top-notch soap. It's on of the few soaps I kept, after giving away a HUGE number of creams and soaps.

Jeff
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I think the DR Harris soaps are definitely good products. I have to say that I find other soaps in my collection every bit as good (if not better). When you factor in the $$ to get these products; it tends to make one judge them a little more harshly, IMHO.

I think soaps from Tabac, Provence Sante, C&E, L'Occitane CADE and even Arko are slightly superior to DR Harris soaps. For me, anyhow. I say that taking into consideration not only price, but type/size of bowl, ease of lathering, scent, texture, etc.

I think T&H soap is about on par (esp. when price is considered). I know there are some that feel DR Harris can do no wrong. I just feel that, as in all things, the 'great' is the enemy of the 'good.' In my collection, the DR Harris is definitely the 'good.' That's still saying a lot, but when they're not shy about asking $30 for a soap bowl - value has to be a consideration. Also, as Joel said - the scents aren't bad. Just not "fabulous." I've never smelled any other almond soap that smells so LITTLE of almond as DR Harris! :w00t:
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

So - the scent.... doesn't move me. It isn't BAD at all, but it just isn't "wow." Start to lather.... and then comes the "wow" as it lathers like the dickens. I must say though.... I HATE HATE HATE the wooden bown on this soap, as it is not as wide as Trumpers/T&H so it is even EASIER to make a mess!

Overall.... good stuff, but not worth the $. For the $, QED, Tabac, etc are a better value.

TO DISCUSS THIS REVIEW PLEASE USE THIS THREAD
Top Bottom