What's new

D. R. Harris Arlington Aftershave Splash

Pros: the scent
Cons: no moisturizing properties
I was quite disappointed with this ASL. For me the gold standard of ASLs is Tabac. Unlike Tabac, this product is quite suitable only for humid summers as it has virtually no moisturizing properties.

It smells good and matches the cream, but unfortunately does not work well as a ASL. Yes, perhaps I should have got the milk version, but I am a bit disappointed. Will end up using this more as a cologne.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
the best aftershave product I've ever used. period. I hope to never be without this stuff.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I purchased this, brand new, from another member of the forum and my first impression upon smelling the bottle was "oh, oh - I'm not sure I'm going to like this." I'll echo another reviewer who likened it to a lemon drop. It does have a candy-like scent to it - a very expensive lemon drop in an expensive confectioners shop or English sweet shop.

For a few days after receiving it, it sat on my desk for a few days mocking me for purchasing it but I finally got around to using it and I've come to really like it.

First of all, it's a high quality performer as an aftershave splash. I'd place it only behind Speick AS in terms of healing properties. It leaves my face feeling smooth and refreshed after a shave. It has a mild cooling sensation - hardly a menthol bomb, but you do feel a subtle kick. I don't notice much of an alcohol burn - again similar to Speick.

Now for the scent - I've seen descriptions of it being a citrus/fern scent and I'd say that the fern does come through eventually, but mostly it's a sweet citrus scent - almost candy-like. Once it's on the face it settles down and the sweetness fades to a milder sweet citrus with just a touch of fern scent. It's a relatively mild scent that's actually fairly nice.

Overall, I won't say this is one of my all time favorite aftershaves - it's fine but I still prefer Speick; the performance is better and it's more affordable. I like the Speick scent more, even if it's short-lived. Once I've used my Arlington, I might try D.R. Harris' Marlborough AS to see if that scent is a little more to my liking.

I'd give the Arlington a B minus grade - the performance is top-notch as is the packaging, bottle quality, etc., but the scent is only so-so for me, unfortunately.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
D.R. Harris makes quality products and this is one of them. A classic scent that will make you feel refreshed when applied on the face.

Highly recommended, especially together alongside with their shaving cream or soap from the same line (Arlington).
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Firstly, I should quickly say that it scores 0 for "no alcohol burn" thats becuase there is alcohol burn because there has to be, it contains alcohol?

Anyway back to the important stuff, This product smells wonderful, works effectively and in my oppinion is excxellent value for money. When you use this product you experience the alcohol burn, then the menthol to cool and then unlike any other top notch splash you get glycerin which sooths and moisturises. It leaves a slight comforting stickiness on the skin which I've never experienced with other spashes. With other spashes I have to apply a facial moisturiser afterwards to give moisture for the whole day. I dont' have to do this which Arlington splash; although I still do apply an SPF 15 afterwards. This stuff is significantly cheaper than Floris of London, Penhalligan's and Acqua Di Parma and still has that beautiful refreshing manly scent which Floris etc. offer.

£20 is what I paid and I know it should last about a year, so thats £20 a year, so what are you waiting for?

Thank you very much

Ryan.

Quick update; I realise that Floris splash contains glycerin also. So you may want to try it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This stuff leaves you smelling like a fancy lemon drop...and that's a good thing.

I love the packaging and presentation of this product, like an old time medicinal or potion.

A subtle menthol kick cools you down.

I have always used a facial lotion after an alcohol based AS as my face would get really dry. This morning I used the Arlington and in my rush forgot the Kiehl's. This occurred to me as I was driving to work and I panicked a bit. But the dryness never came, just the lingering nice scent and continued pleasant cooling sensation. Great stuff if a bit pricey.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Price: About $25 at SRD sale + free shipping over $100

Quality: It's DR Harris... of course it's quality

Fights Razor Burn: n/a

Cooling Sensation: oh yea a perfect kick of menthol. Not a menthol bomb, but definitely the right amount

Scent: Smacks you with strong citrus then mellows out to a bit of musk/fern that reminds me of TOBS St. James if you're familiar. Classic scent with a hint of barbershop soapy. Subtle yet noticeable - just what a scent should be most of the time. Longevity is 2-3 hours

Efficacy: Again it's DR Harris... of course it's effective

Moisturizing: applied to a slightly wet face there isn't a bit of drying and the moisturizing really kicks in about 2 hours after when the body's natural oils help out

No Alcohol Burn: applied to a slightly wet face there's just the right amount of a brief burn

Overall: I love the stuff. Not a lot of face goodies, but some thayers beforehand helps out if you want some face goodies. Definitely this will be a staple in my stable. Desert Island?... quite possibly that good!!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
I just received a bottle of Arlington from John at WCS. I must say this is now one of my favorite aftershaves along with Speick.

Price: if you get it from WCS or a similar vendor, your cost per use is pennies

Quality: pure quality from DR Harris

Razor Burn: calms and smooths the skin

Cooling sensation: spot on. Just enough menthol to cool, but not enough to freeze

Scent: lovely powdery citrus. A true gentleman's fragrance

Moisturizing: pretty good for a splash

Now I am waiting to try Musgo Real AS and see how it holds up
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
OK, I bought this stuff thinking great, here I go with another overpriced aftershave. Nothing can be worth this much money for a few ounces. More than $30 for 100mL? Come on! Just because its Brit?

Anyway, I finally got the stuff and tried it. Wow! This may not kick Speick out of the rotation, but it will for sure get some play.

Lets look at things on a one by one basis. Price? Yeah, it's expensive. But not as expensive as, say, Trumpers. More than Speick or Musgo though.

Quality - top notch. All good ingredients put together well.

Fights razor burn - sure does! This stuff is mentholated. Seems like most menthol aftershaves smell like a cough drop. The menthol is overwhelming any scent it may have. You don't smell the menthol in this, but a few seconds after you apply it - and right after the mild alcohol sting goes away - the menthol kicks in and cools you right down.

Cooling - see above!

Scent - sweet. Maybe a little too sweet but not overpowering. I still don't get the citrus, but the scent is a good one. Sophisticated and nice without being overbearing. It doesn't last long. So if you like the scent and want to keep it, get the cologne.

Efficacy - it works beautfully.

Moisturizing - I guess so. My face feels good.

I really like this stuff.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
D. R. Harris Arlington Aftershave is made by the renowned company of D. R. Harris, a brand which without doubt can compare to the three Ts. This review is about the splash type of aftershave - there is also a 'Milk' version of this which essentially is a runny balm.

displayimage.php

Both packaging and the glass bottle were kept simple.

[imga=right]http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=15621[/imga]Dabbed on the scent of citrus and fern come to your nose. A few moments more the menthol kicks in. Though itself none of these are spectacular. But when the splash is drying it is playing its trump card. They go very well together: the alcohol is evaporating (which produces a cooling effect), the menthol is cooling once more, and the citrus and fern please your nose. Its sting is only moderate and partially covered by the menthol though it's there and good for waking up or reminding you of using less pressure whilst shaving. Leaves the skin soothed and is not greasy.
The aftershave bottle is made out of glass. The nozzle itself lets enough liquid pass through yet reduces the likeliness of spilling too much on your hands. It's simple and well made like the rest of the whole product.

You want to know the ingredients? Sure, head over here for both the old and reformulated one.
It is widely available in the online world of shaving vendors and quite pricey, as almost all British shaving toiletries are. However its effectiveness makes up the cost and as I write this review the GBP to EUR exchange rate is so low, placing an order off the UK can turn out to be beneficial.

displayimage.php
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn