What's new

Czech & Speake #88

Item Description

....Dark stormclouds race across the sky in a chaotic array, dizzying your senses. Up ahead you see an abandoned church, seeming to beckon to you. What's this? The cross on the facade is upside down.... Entering, you see a casket, black rose petals strewn across it.... A sense of dread pervades you, and the heady scent of roses assaults your nostrils.... Dread turns to horror as the casket lid begins to creak open.....a clawed hand emerges.... a scream tears from your ragged throat....

....the dream still clutches you as you lurch awake in your bed.... your wife sleeps soundly beside you, unaware of your distress. Smiling awkwardly, you take a deep breath and calm your racing heart..... your wife's pulse beats rhythmically at her pale white neck.... calling....calling. You lean over and brush your lips across her neck, eliciting a moan of pleasure from her dream-addled state. Then you bite, the warm, salty blood coursing down your throat like a river....the forbidden pleasure wells up from deep inside you....

OK, that's enough of that. Get the idea of what this scent is about?:wink:

Rose scents for men are problematic. I find most way too sweet and cloying, especially ones like Hammam Bouquet. #88 is a different beast entirely. It is a powerful, brooding, rose scent that elicits all sorts of emotions. It reminds me of vampires, roses being crushed in an iron fist, huge-thorned rose bushes tearing down an ancient stone wall, that sort of thing. It became one of my favorite scents from the moment I first tried it. That being said, do try a sample first - this is a love-it or hate-it, powerful, in your face scent that can be difficult to pull off.

This review is being discussed here.

Latest reviews

I only have a sample vial of this cologne, so that's why I left a few blanks.

This is easily one of my favorite scents, in a close tie with Pen's Opus 1870. I could easily see why this is a love/hate scent. Definitely pick up a sample or decant!
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
I don't know where to begin,

This is beautiful in a way I find vampires beautiful and find the ending to Bram Stokers Dracula beautiful, strange and alluring at the same time.

I find it comforting, lively and sinister and it morphs with your mood. You want to be dark and mysterious, it will follow you, man in a suit, it'll do that too, jeans and an Iron Maiden t shirt, no probs, night out be it restaurant or a dark club, it will show you the way and then you can leave in the night moving forward but your feet not moving in a way only Dracula would glide over the ground. This is not a fragrance if you are easily flustered.

It starts off with a very slightly spritey dry rose, then that spriteness dries down and geranium, sandalwood and bergamot join the party with rose playing the drums driving the other band members from behind, giving then all a chance to play their riffs.

A lovely fragrance that I prefer to DC1913, DC1913 has a sweet muskiness that makes me like C&S88 more. Actually I think DC1913 would be the Italian vampire and C&S the Transylvanian one that travelled to England and stumbled into a Czech & Speake store while hunting down his prey catching a wiff of #88 along the way only to stop, take a few steps back and ask how much for the one in the black bottle, pay for it and then continue on with the chase. If Dracula found another vampire who wore C&S88 he would not be happy and needless to say that "other" vampire wouldn't be around too long.

This has many talents and I find it nice to spray a bit on before retreating to my coffin to dream the night away, I just hope there's no other vampire in my neck off the woods wearing it!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
Price: Great fragrance yes, but not $180 for 100ml great...

Quality: Very Good.

Packaging: Packaging looks very nice, but I've never owned or sampled from the bottle.

Scent: Too sweet and too much rose for me, but if you like a dirty, powdery, rose fragrance this is for you.

Complexity: This smells like a very well made, very well put together fragrance. The rosey, dirty, and powdery elements of the fragrance are very smoothly layered.

Staying Power: One of the longest lasting fragrances I've ever tried. I got 8-10 hours from this fragrance, and that was from a sample vile, not the atomizer.

Quality of Atomizer: Again, looks nice, but never sampled from the bottle.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
2.00 star(s)

Item information

Added by
Scotto
Views
Reviews
Last update

More in Fragrance (Reviews)

• Woodhue for Men
    Woodhue for Men is a masculine fragrance by Fabergé. The scent was...
  • Bulgari Pour Homme Soir
    Bulgari Pour Homme Soir by Bulgari is a Woody Floral Musk fragrance for...
  • Obsession for Men
    A fresh citrus explosion at the top notes (tangerine, grapefruit, lime...
  • Body Kouros
    Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for...
  • Paco Rabanne
    Paco Rabanne by Paco Rabanne is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men...

More from Scotto

Top Bottom