What's new

Cyril R. Salter Indian Sandalwood

Pros: Great scent and feel on the skin
Cons: None that I can think of
I love the smell of this stuff and it makes a wonderfully rich lather that lasts for more than 4 passes if needed! Price is on par with TOBS and works great! Give it a try
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
  • Love
Reactions: Pedigree
Phil from Bullgoose Shaving graciously included a sample of this cream with an order I placed. This is my first Sandalwood Cream.

Price: This comes in a 6.76 ounce container. TOBS comes in a 5.3 ounce container. This costs 18.00 per tub, TOBS costs 13.50 per tub. Doing the math, this costs $2.66 per ounce, and TOBS costs $2.56 per ounce. So there is a ten cent difference between the two, that being considered, this is an excellent value.

Quality: Top notch, performs at least equal to TOBS.

Scent: Spicy Cinnamon. Being my first Sandalwood Cream, I don't know if this is how all Sandalwood smell, or not. At first shave, I was not hugely impressed by the scent. I found it a bit overpowering at first. Still, Salter is too good to waste, so used up the rest of the sample, for a total of 5 shaves. The scent has since grown on me, but having tried other Salter scents, I can't say this is my favorite.

Lather: This erupted into wonderful creamy moisturizing lather, with very minimal effort. Lather easily lasted through my 3 pass shave, with no degradation of overall quality.

Packaging: Sold in a 200 ml/ 6.76 ounce container with a double snap lid.

Overall: This is top notch shaving cream, with a quality that is hard to beat. The price is also right; on par with the price of TOBS. If Sandalwood is your favorite scent, no reason not to give this cream a whirl!! Performance wise, this cream is great! :thumbup1::thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I really like this Salter cream. For about $19-20 you get a great deal. The cream builds a lather quickly with only the smallest amount on the tips of your brush(I have very hard alkaline water). It is slick and I don't feel the razor dragging on my face, nor is it drying or irritating. I like the scent, but it smells more like cinnamon at first with the sandlewood more muted, but still very present. It is a dry spicy scent, not sweet at all, but also unlike any sandlewood I have ever tried. I really like it though, and will likely get more if I ever get through this tub.
  • Love
Aligining of the stars? The perfect blade? Or one heck of a fantastic cream??

Well, who knows....some shaves are just better than others, but my best so far was with this cream.

Salter creams are a reasonable value. At $19.00 for a nearly 6 oz tub there's enough to last for several months. Price is on par with TOB, but I find this cream to work better for me.

I love the way this cream lathers and my razor truly just glided across my 2 day old beard like butter on a hot skillet.

The Sandalwood scent is excellent. Mild, but definitely there and leaves a subtle hint of it behind on your skin.

Salter's packaging is for in the cabinet, not on the shelf......nothing fancy to admire here so if that's important to you just move on along.:smile:

I have a tough time determining the moisturizing properties of any cream or soap since I always follow up a shave with a splash and a dollop of TGR balm, but I will say that this cream followed with a splash of L'Occitane CADE AS and then TGR Balm left my skin unbelievably silky, smooth, razor burn free and as smooth as it has ever been.

I'm writing this review at 6:45pm having shaved at 7:30am and what strikes me the most is that my face is nearly as smooth now as it is is most days around lunch time.

Highly Recommended!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I'm still relatively new at this, but I was lucky enough to have a friend that gave me a sample of what he called his favorite sandalwood scent. I promptly wound up ordering a tub of my own.

The packaging is nothing to get excited about. Dark blue plastic double-walled tub with some stickers on it. It certainly isn't as classy as, say, the C&E glass jars, but it does feel substantial in the hand.

One of the best things is what happens when you open the tub. My palate is not as refined as some, so I can not offer an in-depth analysis of the aroma. The ingredients list sandalwood oil about halfway down, and I can only assume the base note that makes me keep sniffing the jar is this precious oil. There is more going on than just sandalwood, however. It is rounded off with spice and something mellow. Not sweet, but not bone dry either.

As has been said with the other scents in this line, the lather is amazing. A very small amount works into more than enough for a 4-pass shave. I have gotten some of my best shaves using this cream. It is as slick and moisturizing as anything I have used.

The scent lingers just long enough to be interesting, but it's not "clingy." This is one of my favorite creams and is in heavy rotation.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)