What's new

Cyril R. Salter French Vetiver

Item Description

This cream would be perfect if it wasn't for horrific smell hidden within the innocent looking PVC tub. No kidding, upon opening this cream for the first time, the first thought that came to mind was "cream of celery". Very nasty smelling, which was bad because I really like the other flavors of the Salter collection like their Citrus scented cream.

I didn't really like want to test the moisturization factor since I was afraid of putting it anywhere near my nose. Even my dog can't seem to stand the smell. Definately pass on this one, fellas. Look at some of the other Salter creams for sale.

Latest reviews

This is a fantastic cream. But - and this is the dealbreaker for some - it is earthy, smoky, leathery, meaty. It is not a parfum vetiver, with woods and florals mixed in to balance the funk of the vetiver essential oil. If you're looking for Guerlain - this isn't. It's dirty, oh so dirty, in a really good way. It's the shaving cream equivalent of a robust cigar - not for everyone, but oh so tasty for those that appreciate what it brings to the table.

It performs very well - readily loads onto the brush as well as soft enough to dip the fingertips and spread on the skin, lathers with abandon, and takes plenty of water to deliver a thick, cushioning, but very wet lather. On the face, it cushions well, softens the beard nicely (especially when allowed to sit for a little bit), and provides excellent glide. The price for this performance, just slightly more than Taylor's, is a bargain.

It provides decent moisturizing, slightly above average, but I still use a moisturizer of some sort afterwards. The plastic tub is a cool navy blue with a deep insert, and seals tightly, but the two parts of the tub have a tendency to separate.

If the smells of wood smoke, pipe tobacco, of topsoil after a good rain, of mushrooms, cut grass, and the woodpile are pleasant to you, this might be your favorite cream.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Great shave cream. The scent smells very similar to the vetiver essential oil that I have, which I quite like - earthy, grassy and dirty - in a refined gentlemanly way. To me, vetiver is the most masculine scent there is. It's a refreshing alternative to all the floral, citrus, "cologne", or foody types of scents that a lot of shave products offer.

The performance is fantastic - the lather is dense, slick and moisturizing. I also appreciate how they didn't add any coloring to the cream. It erks me when a shave cream is some impossible fluorescent color. No parabens in this product, if that concerns you.

I like the looks of the basic navy blue plastic container it comes in, though it doesn't seem it would survive a drop on the floor. It's a little flimsy.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Does this SC "go bad"? I liked the scent when I got the tub (two months ago). Since I am new and trying different products, I have not used it for about 6 weeks. Now the stuff smells BAD! Is thier something in the mixture that does not keep well (stored at normal room temperature)?
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)