What's new

Cyril R. Salter Citrus

Salter's continue to be my favorite creams by a long shot. When I first hit on Salter's I finally began to experience consistently great, irritation free shaves. I'm talking about perfect BBS shaves with a 5:00 shadow that feels like my freshly shaved face with many other creams.....it's *that* good.

The lather is easy to whip up, ultra thick and super slick. I find it leaves a wonderful *slick* behind the blade that has enough lubrication to buff with without relathering.

I also notice that even after a pass, enough lubrication remains that I can glide my fingers back and forth to look for errant whiskers without any drag whatsoever.

The packaging is effective, but not necessarily attractive.....certainly not regal like Aqua di Parma's, but you do get a lot of product for your hard-earned money and the tubs seal nicely and are always easy to open....unlike Penhaligon's BB which looks gorgeous, but can be difficult to open and close.

Even though packaging is very utilitarian I give it a solid 9 in that area because I only reserve that last point for packaging that looks great on display.......not as important to me as bang-for-buck and efficacy.

Salter's scents are *okay*....very soapy and slightly artificial smelling in the tub, but they improve when whipped.

This is my favorite brand and while the Sandalwood is my favorite from Salter's I'd give the Citrus a very close second.

Try it!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I have Citrus, Mint, and Indian Sandalwood scents. There is an underlying 'base scent' to the Salter creams that kind of annoys me... basically it's an acquired scent IMHO. Not bad by any means, but the 3Ts have better scents.

However, these creams perform great! If I'm looking for a good super close shave, or if I need to shave anytime I still have slight irritation, I'll reach for Salters over the 3Ts.

You should certainly consider adding at least one tub to your collection.:cool:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I have been trying creams at a ridiculous (and expensive) rate. So far, nothing has come all that close to the perfection that is Salter's Citrus. It is the one cream I look forward to using above all else. The scent is amazing. The lather is lush. The effectiveness is unbeatable. And it really isn't expensive given the size and quality. If there were one shave cream in the world, I hope this would be it.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Great cream. By the way, the scent is grapefruit.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Price: $19 for 6.7oz? Great deal for any English cream, let alone this gem.

Quality: Simply great. The cream is soft and rich, with a beautiful texture. The package proudly states "all our products are made from naturally derived ingredients where possible" as well as "not tested on animals." Another big plus.

Scent: If I could, I'd give this cream 20 out of 10. The sent is simply incredible. Unbelievable. Must be experienced. It hits you strong and clean when you open the tub -- not too medicine-y or pinesol-y as with some lemon-scented creams. The strength of the smell only drops down a tiny bit once you get it lathered, and then its PERFECT. Just enough of the smell lingers after you wash the cream off your face, leaving behind a suprisingly masculine yet invigorating and sweet afterglow. Salter's nailed it with the scent; even if this cream gave me terrible shaves (which it doesn't, quite the opposite) I'd probably still buy it.

Latherability: Wonderful. Tends to make a thicker lather than some creams I've used, but "peaks" beautifuly in the bowl and holds up very well both on the brush and on the face after applying.

Efficacy: Salter's Citrus gives me awesome shaves. As if the scent wasn't enough, I'd be hard pressed to pick a cream that gives me a better shave with consistency. Razor glide is very smooth -- with a wet razor, the thick lather on your face dampens just enough to result in near-perfect strokes.

Moisturizing: Nothing to complain about here. Its not the most moisturizing cream I've used, but not the least either. After my experiences with the T&H Limes, I expected a dryed-out and uncomfortable finish with the Salter. Not so.

Packaging: A gem like this deserves so much better. I have no specific complaints about the double-shell white plastic tub, but it doesn't do this awesome cream any justice at all.

Verdict: My new go-to cream. If this stuff cost double what it does, I'd still buy it (but don't tell Cyril).

Ingredients:
Aqua, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Coconut Acid, Triethanolamine, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Ppg-15 Stearyl Ether, Citrus Grandis, Citrus Limonum, Sodium Hydroxide, Methylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, CI 19140 (FD&C Yellow No. 5)

Photos:
proxy.php

Above: Salter's Citrus, 6.7oz Tub

proxy.php

Above: Salter's Citrus, open tub

proxy.php

Above: Cream on brush

proxy.php

Above: Partially Lathered brush

proxy.php

Above: Salter's Citrus: Lather-on-the-arm shot
Top Bottom