What's new

Creme de Barbear

Item Description

This is a product that was genuinely fun to review. It is a no-nonsense, great shave cream reminiscent of great barber shop staples like the J.M. Fraser line. It packs a wallop of menthol that’s unmistakable and strong enough to smell at arm’s length. Whether or not the scent is for you, I’m sure you’ll like the performance it provides.

Palmindaya contains stearic acid, potassium hydroxide, coconut oil, water, lanolin, boric acid, sodium silicate, sucrose, menthol, glycerin and an additional fragrance. It comes in 60-, 240-, and giant 700-gram (25 ounce) sizes. If you ever get through the largest container, you’ll find it big enough to bathe the family dog.

Palmindaya is a softer-than-usual and slippery cream that seems to jump onto a brush. It’s easy to overload the brush if you’re not careful. I chose to take small dabs with my finger and apply light patches directly to my face. The Omega boar that I used made a generous, medium-thick, slippery lather that easily lasted four passes.

The lather was one of the slickest I’ve encountered, and it seemed to provide good cushioning. As lather, the cream lost most of its menthol punch, and the other fragrance-base became more pronounced. It still had an old-time barber shop smell that reminded me of my youth.

The cream is soothing, refreshing and minimally moisturizing. I had an excellent shave, notable for its comfort as well as its closeness. I felt that a drop or two of a moisturizing lotion was called for.

Palmindaya may be difficult to find outside Brazil. It is reportedly available mainly through barber-supply outlets even within the country.

It’s hard to find, but your efforts will be rewarded if you manage to locate it.

Latest reviews

Pros: Very rich, thick lather and nice scent
Cons: Impossible to find in North America
One of the best creams I've tried which unfortunately I can't get my hands on regularly. I traded with a Brazilian fellow and he sent me a jar of this stuff. Its scent is very traditional and the lather is so easy to create. It's also quite cooling from the menthol content, and the skincare is pretty good as well. This is apparently a cream which is used in a lot of barbershops in Brazil, and it has that type of scent which makes you think of an old-time barbershop. Very nice stuff.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Slick, with old-time barber shop qualities
Cons: Availability
This is a product that was genuinely fun to review. It is a no-nonsense, great shave cream reminiscent of great barber shop staples like the J.M. Fraser line. It packs a wallop of menthol that’s unmistakable and strong enough to smell at arm’s length and beyond. Whether or not the scent is for you, I’m sure you’ll like the performance it provides.

Palmindaya contains stearic acid, potassium hydroxide, coconut oil, water, lanolin, boric acid, sodium silicate, sucrose, menthol, glycerin and an additional fragrance. It comes in 60-, 240-, and giant 700-gram (25 ounce) sizes. If you ever get through the largest container, you’ll find it big enough to bathe the family dog.

Palmindaya is a softer-than-usual and slippery cream that seems to jump onto a brush. It’s easy to overload the brush if you’re not careful. I chose to take small dabs with my finger and apply light patches directly to my face. The Omega boar that I used made a generous, medium-thick, slippery lather that easily lasted four passes.

The lather was one of the slickest I’ve encountered, and it seemed to provide good cushioning. As lather, the cream lost most of its menthol punch, and the other fragrance-base became more pronounced. It still had an old-time barber shop smell that reminded me of my youth.

The cream is soothing, refreshing and minimally moisturizing. I had an excellent shave, notable for its comfort as well as its closeness. I felt that a drop or two of a moisturizing balm was called for.

Palmindaya may be difficult to find outside Brazil. Within the country, it is available mainly through barber-supply outlets.

It’s hard to find, but your efforts will be rewarded if you manage to locate it.

Note: If you would like to comment on Palmindaya shave cream or this thread, you may do it here.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)

Item information

Added by
Codfish
Views
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.50 star(s) 2 ratings

More in Shaving Creams (Reviews)

More from Codfish

• Bamboo SE Razor
    I’ve been a wet shaver for 35 years, and have experience with a wide...
  • R41 TWIST
    The R41 TWIST is my favorite Mühle razor to date, and it’s among my...
  • R89 TWIST
    Mühle's latest addition to the shaving world is the R89 TWIST, a...
  • Infinity Silvertex (synthetic)
    Full review to be posted April 30, 2013
  • R41 2013
    I like the original R41 very much. I've shaved with it 450 times and...
Top Bottom