What's new

Crabtree and Evelyn sandalwood soap

Item Description

This Sandalwood soap seems to be widely used but in my opinion a little underappreciated. So what is good about it? It smells good, lathers nicely and takes care of your face in the most gentle, comforting manner (thanks to the added vitamin E ). Yes, it certainly isn't as exclusive as Trumpers or others but does it give a less good shave? No, shaves are great, time and again, and my face never feels dry as with many other brands. To sum up: just a great workhorse shave soap.

Latest reviews

When I first received this soap from my wife, I could not get it to lather. I tried it on and off for almost a year being frustrated every time I went to use it. Then one day I grabbed my cheap boar (I had tried both badger and boar with no success) and things changed. I had my usual bad lather, but then I went back to the soap to load the brush again, and WOW!:w00t:

The lather from the soap was so creamy and thick, it was probably one of the best I had ever gotten from any soap! (That includes QED, Mama Bear's, Tabac) This is now my main soap I use and I love it. Good job C&E!

All you need is some patience, but once you figure it out..you will be richly rewarded!
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
After reading all of the comments, I realized the reason the acronym YMMV is used so often on here...

I can see where sandalwood purists would be disappointed with the scent. It is more of a clean, soapy mild scent with just a touch of sandalwood or an almost almond-like smell. I bought it for that reason - the other C&E soaps were too sharp for my liking first thing in the morning. I like a more gentle aroma surrounding me.

As for the lather, I was STUNNED to hear people saying they have a hard time lathering this soap. I have a Rooney's finest and it seemed like the soap erupted into lather the second the brush touched it. Technique probably makes a difference here. I tend to use a decent amount of water and this soap LOVES, CRAVES, D-E-M-A-N-D-S water and lots of it.

As for the moisturizing, YMMV yet again. My first impression with the soap was wow, what a lather beast. My second impression was holy cow, a soap with some substance. No doubt I feel a richness to the soap like many creams. I feel a moisturizing effect and none of the dry skin others mention. Just goes to show how personal grooming products are and how they vary based on a person's "chemistry."

I agree the soap could be a little slicker and provide better glide. For $8 a puck, I don't expect to have to add a dab of cream to make a super lather. Since I already had some glycerin, I applied that to my face and the results were better, though I don't have a hard time picturing this soap causing many a razor to skip. Still, with proper care, it can perform quite well.

Time will tell with more uses, but with a little adjustment and experimentation I can see this being a very pleasant go-to shave. I dare say I get better results with this soap by itself than with high quality creams by themselves (I've been making a super lather with VDH deluxe and either JM Fraser or Jermyn St) More experimentation required, but the shaves have been similar.

All in all, a workhorse of a soap. I would call this a blue collar luxury product and am glad I tried it on a whim while picking up a bottle of West Indian Limes :thumbup1:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
All of this, except the scent part, is the same as my other C&E reviews so bare with me.

Price - I got this along with the other scents, sandalwood and Nomad for less than $30 total since they had buy 2 get 1 and 20% off so the price was beyond excellent for 3 soaps in bowls.

Quality - I think it's a very nice quality soap and the bowl it comes in is also well made.

Scent - The scent is definitely sandalwood and isn't super strong that it will make you wince. I think C&E got a good balance here and it lingers for a while afterward but I don't think it'll clash with anything.

Lather - I let this soap sit with some water in it then mix lather in my scuttle with that water and soap and I get a good amount of lather every time. Pretty easy to lather for me and it doesn't dry off even in the time it takes me to strop my str8.

Efficacy - Lather lasts for a long time in the scuttle and doesn't disappear. Slick and gives me a nice clean shave.

Moisturizing - I don't know that there is that much moisturizing in the soap but I have oily skin naturally and my face still feels soft after using it so it works for me.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)