What's new

Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna shaving cream

Price: Got this off the B/S/T for a lot less than retail; besides it isn't made anymore so price is N/A
Quality: Top notch, at least as good if not better than TOBS or Tabac, makes later just as easy if not easier, and slicker than both. You only need a little for it to work its magic.
Scent: Hard to pin down, a leather-spice mix that just works. As a previous reviewer said, it is intoxicating.
Lather: Feed this stuff a little water in its own tub, leave the badger brush fairly wet, and you have tons of meringue in just a few swirls, easily enough for 3-4 passes and the lather stays put.
Efficacy: Nice slick cushion; going back for a quick touch-up between passes is easy, this stuff doesn't dry out right away.
Moisturizing: Pretty good, not great. I prefer that though. Also it's a plus for warm weather. I say, leave the moisturizing to the AS or balms afterward. It doesn't dry out the skin and that's all I ask for in a cream.
Packaging: It's a thick dark amber glass jar! I'll be re-using it for the Sienna pucks once the cream runs out.

I wish C&E still made this cream because I love the scent and I'd hoard as much as I can; it's that good.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This is the second shaving cream that I have tried right after Omega. I found this very easy to lather (for a beginner) and also had an excellent scent. I preferred this cream over Omega as I found the scent better and it was more lubricating. I was able to create more than enough lather for multiple passes with only an almond sized amount in my lathering bowl. All in all i'm very impressed with this cream.
Out of the 3 C&E scents, I love this one the most. I smeared a blot of Nomad, Sandalwood and this on my skin and asked 5 others what they preferred and this scent won hands down. Very refreshing....ocean like. Not as harsh or overbearing like the Nomad or Sandalwood.

You can tell this is a superior shave cream as from the jar it is heavy like lard/butter. I do think that it does not produce a thick lather like other brands but the end result is a great feeling shaving cream. I know I will buy another jar of this. The balm is awesome but won't elaborate on that as this post is for the cream. Nothing special about the packaging as they no longer sell the nice glass jar but the cheap plastic now. But IMO if it holds the cream, it don't matter. I judge by the quality of the product, not the bowl or box it comes in.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
There is an outlet around here that sells creams for $25.00 a jar and buy one get one for 50% off so after tax it about 20.00 per jar which is about the going rate for Cyril Salter's stuff (that I can find anyway). It is quite econimical considering how long a jar will likely last and the quality is top notch for what I have tried. The scent is "like catnip for clones!!" Man, I wish VDH deluxe smelled like this!:biggrin:
Very nice cream but I just couldn't get into the scent. However, I realize scent is a personal thing so to each their own.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Aaaaaah Sienna cream... the first cream a purchased in the wet-shaving experience!! How can't I be in love with it!!! :001_wub:

A truly luxurious cream.
You feel like lord and the scent screams masculine!!!
The price was a little bit spicy but what you pay is what you get!!!

Packaging is good and you get also a metal stick to squeeze every bit!

I will definitely buy it again! It has special meaning to me as it was my first cream!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
A wonderful cream! Lather literally EXPLODES out of the bowl with only a few swirls. Scent is spicy and musky with hints of buttery creaminess (don't know how else to describe it).. A very indulgent cream that rates up there with the finest bourbons & single malts..

Highly recommended...
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
A great cream. For those with sensitive skin it may a little problem. An almond size amount gave me enough lather for about 3-4 passes. The lather was really creamy and my razor just slid across my face. The lather didn't breakdown as time went on. I got a great shave with this cream. Highly recommended.

- Aaron
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I've used the Art of Shaving Sandalwood regularly and compare many to it's top quality properties. Crabtree & Evelyn's Siena and Sandalwood lines are nearly equal in quality and performance.
A wonderful scent and smooth shave make this cream a great choice over many other products. The price is more than other's. but IMHO you get what you pay for in this case.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Great product, can handle tough beards, nice smell. I got the tube & it came with a "tube key" for a perfect dose down to the last bit. Got it on sale too, it seems to me that C&E is having one sale after another. Hope they are doing well, wouldn't want to see their stuff gone.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
As my other reviews will indicate, I really like the stuff made by Trumper and by T&H.

But, having said that, I also have to report that C&E's Sienna is the only cream I've purchased over the past eighteen months that I used with hardly a single break from the day I took it out of the box until I had completely emptied the jar.

First, C&E did a superb packaging job: I found the box just as substantial as anything else I'd seen--and better-decorated. Aqua di Parma uses the same type of plastic-sheathed glass jar as C&E, combining substance and safety.

Combining leathery, spicy, and citrus notes, the fragrance knocked me for a loop. The way this cream smelled had me looking forward to shaving, and that kind of excitement strikes me as central to the whole wetshaving phenomenon.

But beyond presentation or fragrance, I could not see a difference between this cream's performance and any of the products I've used from the 3Ts. Just a little work in the Moss Scuttle gave me plenty of dense lather, and my face felt great both during and after my shaves.

C&E price their Sienna cream right around what you'd pay for something made by Truefitt or Trumper: In my view, having a jar of this stuff would justify the expense.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
The scent is amazing, makes me want to shave again when I get home from college. It really is creamy, unusual for a shaving cream, the lather does require a bit of water to get it going but it lathers well. It doesnt dry out my skin like other creams do. Compared to other creams I only need half as much to make a good lather but there isnt enough for the 3rd pass. Out of 5 shaving creams I tried so far, this one is the most moisturizing, and certainly has the best scent. It's around 50% more expensive than proraso and has 30% less quantity, still it's going to last a while so I feel it's worth it especially for the scent.
It is rare for me to give a product such high marks, but the C&E Sienna really deserves it. While I have not yet tried the Sandalwood, I have tried all of the other C&E creams (SAO, Nomad, Sienna), and they are all excellent. Regarding this gem, the lather exploded off of my C&E best badger brush with very little effort and in very little time. It provided me with an abundance of lather that was very slick and luxurious. The scent may now be my new C&E favorite, if not one of my overall favorites. I bought this in a tube, but I had a jar of the SAO, and the packaging is the same - higher quality than some of the more highly regarded products out there (e.g. the three T's). Overall, I don't think there is a C&E shave cream that you could go wrong with. I had a little bit of difficulty getting the Nomad to lather, but not with Sienna. Excellent product.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
After reading a review of C&E's Almond Shaving Cream, I decided to buy some. The C&E shop, here in Hong Kong, did not have any, so I bought C&E Shaving Cream with the Sienna scent instead.
I used it this morning by putting some on my shaving brush (Simpson Chubby 3 Super Badger) and lathering directly on my face. It gave me a superior shave with enough lather for 3 passes. The lather felt nice and slick on my face and my face felt well moisterized after the shave. The shave, itself was BBS after the third pass. Tomorrow, I'll try lathering it in a bowl and the next day I'll try lathering it in a bowl together with AOS Lavendar shaving soap, my favorite shaving soap.
The price was HK$125 (which translates to about US$16) for 100 grams (about 5.3 oz). This price is quite a bit less than for other "high end" shaving creams such as DE Harris or AOS, both of which I have used, but the shave was every bit as close and comfortable.
The scent is kind of woodsy and somewhat subdued, but very pleasant. I highly recommend this shaving cream.
An excellent substitute for men that prefer a less pronouned musk note than is typically present in most sandalwood creams. The leather and spice fragrances combine very well. Performs great, as do all C&e creams.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Price: This seemed a little steep, but after comparing it to others, it wasn't so bad. Also, they were quite generous with their samples.

Scent: While compared to the other scents at the store, this seemed the lightest and freshest - somewhat of a clean soap mixed with leather - after I shaved with it once or twice, I noticed that the heavy cologne nature of the cream really stuck with me - almost offensively. I'm all for some scent in my cream, and love how that enhances my shave, but if I want aftershave, I'll buy some.

Latherability: Three swoops of my Edwin Jagger brush, and this stuff blumped right up into a thick plump lather. Quite nice.

Moisturizing Qualities: On the other side of the later spectrum, however, I noticed that the lather was very dry. My face was OK with it, but after using Nancy Boy and some good shave soaps, I was somewhat disappointed in this quality. I'm just not a dry lather kind of guy, I guess.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Overall, this cream is probably one of the best I have tried so far. Perhaps, a notch above T&H Trafalgar. The scent is intoxicating. Whipping up this cream is a LITTLE more difficult than others I have tried because it appears to be a bit of water hog. However, this cream's thirst for water is a benefit to your face because the more water you use, the more luxurious and slick the lather becomes. The packaging is the best I have ever seen by a long shot. The price is a little steep as compared to other products. I do not think you will be dissapointed with C&E Sienna.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I think the scent is very masculine. I've been impressed with all of their shaving creams (I have all but Sandalwood, and I'm not a Sandalwood fan). Great, slick lather, and easy to work with. Sienna provides great protection, a slick surface to work with, and is not drying. And the glass jar packaging is just the icing on the cake!

Randy
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Beautiful shave cream indeed.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I must say that this is one of the most wonderful shaving creams I ever used. It smells so nice, it lathers up perfectly with any brush, and is so soothing to the skin. Although I'm very lucky to have my sister-in-law working at one of the C & E boutiques here in Montreal, I have to rate the price as kind of steep, but this cream is pure elegance and luxury, and assures the user wonderful shaves.

Jeff
Top Bottom