What's new

Crabtree & Evelyn Pure Badger Brush

Happened to be walking past a C&E outlet store, remembered about the C&E being an Edwin Jagger, so I stopped in and they had several at $35 with different handles. A little stiffer than my recent Rooney Silvertip, which will be hard to outdo. Bought a faux ivory handled one. This one is for my second house on the other side of the country, where I've been using an Everlast (is that right?) I bought over 35 years ago. Feels like a silvertip, it's soooooo soft, but back then it cost under $10. Still in great shape, never lost any bristles, but just want to retire it to a life of luxury. It's served me well and deserves it.

This C&E feels great, stiff enough to lather well, soft enough to feel great on the neck. One can never have too many brushes, just never enough time to use them all.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
C&Y has a 20% sale in progress, so you can get one for $28.

It is a large EJ Pure Badger with C&Y logo on it. Great for soap users and gentlemen who like their brushes to be a bit stiff.

Personally, I find no appreciable difference between C&Y Best Badger and Pure Badger brushes. Except that you will pay $30 more for a Best Badger brush.

I get excellent, rich lather with this brush: 8~10 swirls on a soap and about 25~30 swirls in a hot bowl. If your lathering technique is good, this brush will perform without fail...
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
First off lemme say that I bought this used in a beginners kit, so I really can't comment on the price. :) I will say that it compares favorably in most respects to my old Boar brush, however I was expecting it to be a bit softer. It does produce quite a nice thick lather with most of the products I have tried.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
mikeypedone1;1013336 said:
This brush is well constructed. It has a nice silver ring around the opening. The hairs are pretty dense and pretty stiff. It is alot more stiff than the EJ BBB. The handle fits in the hand pretty well. The lather wasn't really all that impresive. I have only used it with cremes though. I want to get a soap to try it out on. I think this brush is a perfect starting brush as it will give you a good base to compare other things to. Remember that the C&E small is equivelant to the EJ large. I would recommend this brush even though you can get an EJ BBB for like $7 more. Not bad though

I believe The C&E Small is equal to the EJ medium not large.
I bought this brush (actually it is the wooden handled version but still the same) a year go and haven't needed another brush. I thought all the advice on the board was to buy the Pure rather than Best so when I actually read thn posts properly again I realised I'd bought the 'wrong' brush!

If that was a mistake, then it is probably the best shaving mistake I've ever made.

In fact I have bought and later sold a Simpson Chubby 1 Best, Kent BK4 and even a Plisson Pure Grey - none of which could compare to the C&E Pure.
This brush is well constructed. It has a nice silver ring around the opening. The hairs are pretty dense and pretty stiff. It is alot more stiff than the EJ BBB. The handle fits in the hand pretty well. The lather wasn't really all that impresive. I have only used it with cremes though. I want to get a soap to try it out on. I think this brush is a perfect starting brush as it will give you a good base to compare other things to. Remember that the C&E small is equivelant to the EJ large. I would recommend this brush even though you can get an EJ BBB for like $7 more. Not bad though
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
This is a great brush. I bought mine when they were $50 and it's still like new after a good number of years of daily use. That said, I have not used any of the more 'high profile' (read expensive) brushes, so I may be missing something, but from the standpoint of satisfaction, I've never felt the need to try any other brush and if something bad happened to this brush I would buy another without hesitation.

- Randy
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
I got this brush because the Beast Badger Brush wasn't in stock and will probably never be. at $35 I feel it's MILES about the $5 boar bristle Walmart brush I previously had. It holds quite a bit of water in it and is well suited for soaps. It has a fairly small head knot (bigger than the walmart knot for sure) Mine's lost a couple of hairs over the last month I've had it but I mash it into the soap pretty good. It's a good brush and if you're looking for a good soap brush I'd recommend buying one.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
http://store.crabtree-evelyn.com/acc130271.html
Picked this one up a few weeks ago and have used it enough to form a very good impression of this brush. First, I prefer a little stiffer badger bristle, so the pure serves my tastes very well. This brush is a bargain at $35 no way around it, and gives excellent value for this price. A nicely sized handle and I have large hands, so a small handle is annoying to me. This brush lost 1 hair the first day and none since. A good dense pack that lathers like mad on any soap and holds a ton of water. The tips took just a week or so to soften to luxury and it is still stiff enough for good face lathering if you want. A nice medium size brush that will travel well and I am very pleased with it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)